• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

. . .  I guess the party sort of starts today, doesn't it?  :wink:

Then shouldn't you be drinking by now? :wink::smile:

=R=

What makes you think he's not? :biggrin: Party starts at 6:00 p.m.! (the flight's not long enough for me to begin any serious drinking)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Please note that the fair and lovely Marlene is the 500th reply in this thread .. doesn't that entitle her to a free drink?  This is a cash bar, isn't it, Varmint??

Um, I think it's actually the 501 post. :biggrin: I'm off to the airport. Let the cooking begin.

Marlene

Please come prepared for hot weather.  The forecast for Sunday is in the mid 80's.  We have a tent to provide some shade, and hopefully the humidity will be lower by then.  However, it's expected to get into the low 90s through Saturday.

Hot humid weather is de rigeur for a pig pickin... :smile:

Just remember to start hydrated and then continue to hydrate with some water in between the beers and other alcoholic drinks. (A lesson learned from experience during my tenure in NC attending many pig pickins).

I mentioned this somewhere before, but when I threw a Carolina bbq out here in NoCal a few years back the temp actually reached the high 90's, albeit with low humidity, which is not common where I live on the Peninsula. It was a pretty funny coincidence, but it ended up just adding to the laid back languor of the occasion.

Have fun everyone, the plans sounds just great!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I merely want to enjoy a shred of the piggie and a few (large) cupfuls of banana pudding .. sheeesh ... :wink:

Oh, Man, just what I need. More pressure about the banana pudding..................................

I can't take it.....must start drinking.........................

Hey, the kids love smoothies in the afternoon.....now where is that rum?

I merely want to enjoy a shred of the piggie and a few (large) cupfuls of banana pudding .. sheeesh ... :wink:

Oh, Man, just what I need. More pressure about the banana pudding..................................

Child's play. I'll trade -- you cook all the meat and oversee the side dishes for the banana pudding. OK? C'mon, chicken!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Child's play. I'll trade -- you cook all the meat and oversee the side dishes for the banana pudding. OK? C'mon, chicken!!!!

Dean,

If I am stressing this much over pudding alone.....imagine the mess I would be in if I was in charge of anything else? Buck, buck, buck......................

No pressure here in this lovely place. Here I am in Raleigh snug in my lovely hotel room after being fed a wonderful dinner by Mr. Varmint. I watched him prep and cook and it's amazing. The man never measures anything! And here I am, armed to the teeth with recipes. It's intimidating I tell you! (Dean and Dave keep telling me I have to get over the recipe thing, but I'm a hangin on to them)

I even got to read a bedtime story to a princess, and it doesn't get much better than that.

Tomorrow, I'll be totin' over my baking pans and apron and I'll get to work where ever Mr. & Mrs. Varmint need me.

In the meantime, I'm settlin' down for the night. I'll take pics but they won't get posted till I get home since I forgot my USB thingy.

Come on down!

Marlene

Three days to go. We will celebrate life this weekend. We will reflect on how lucky we have it. We will honor our friends and colleagues whose lives were turned terribly upside down. This will be the last somber post from me, as I pull out of this funk. I can't wait to see each and every one of you, and I appreciate the miles you will have traveled to get to my little piece of the world. Marlene's arrival last night was the first step, and it will be therapy for each of us to break bread.

Bring on da pig.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Speaking of which, when does the main guest (the pig) arrive?

And Marlene, does this mean the hotel has free wireless access?

It does indeed Rochelle. It's a beautiful thing!

Marlene

The hotel also makes damn fine coffee and pretty good biscuts too. I'm fuelled now. Shortly I'm off to go grocery shopping, then I've got a personal chef gig to do. :biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene I dont have a laptop but I could bring the USB cables...even have a cable to plug a camera into a TV or VCR...I now have my last vacation pictures on every modern media available.

I think we're coming...I may need a daisy...we go, we dont go, we go, we dont go

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The pig arrives early tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to K-Mart tonight to buy an el-cheapo plastic swimming pool. Oops, that's my goat guy on the phone. Gotta go.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The pig arrives early tomorrow afternoon.

Actually, I'm not getting there until Saturday afternoon. :biggrin:

I'm going to K-Mart tonight to buy an el-cheapo plastic swimming pool.  Oops, that's my goat guy on the phone.

Will you brine the goat, too?

Is it legal to put both of them into the same kiddie pool? Can't be mixing those barnyard animals, what with that intelligent design stuff and all. :wacko:

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

It's getting excited. I have to print out all my travel info. Well, I suppose I should go to work today first. Gotta remember to pack the bundt pan/jello mold. :wink:

In the meantime,  I'm settlin' down for the night.  I'll take pics but they won't get posted till I get home since I forgot my USB thingy.

Jason will have his.

I pick up the pig around noon tomorrow. That's when the tent, pig cooker, port-a-potty, tables, and chairs arrive. I'll have to go get the goat on Saturday, unless my goat-man is coming my way. Riders to the abbatoir appreciated!

The current forecast for Sunday is now the low 80s and a nighttime low of 58-60. Perfect.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

For those of you who are going to be in town this weekend (sadly I have a work obligation that will prevent me from going to the pig-pickin') I wanted to let you know of some of the cool entertainment things that are going on.

Saturday night--downtown live in Moore Square

Free music--Saturday Night Special (4 ex Lyndrd Skynrd members), Little Texas, and other bands, plus beer, etc. If you are going to be down south, might as well get some southern rock' in you too! It starts early, but the bands don't usually start till 9

----------------------------------------

Also on Saturday all day @ King's which is on McDowell Street

Saturday, September 3

"THE RALEIGH RUMBLE MODS VS. ROCKERS"

DAY LONG MOTORCYCLE SHOW (11am to 2am) + ROCK BANDS

Great local rock bands--these are British motorcyles and scooters

http://www.tonup-nc.com/raleighrumble.html

---------------

I highly suggest you pick up an Independent while you are in town, or check out Indyweek.com

I love my city of Raleigh, and I wish all of you to as well!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Raleigh folks, what's the gas situation like there? I've read that stations as far north as Charlotte had to close yesterday due to lack of supplies. I'm trying to assess where and when to fuel up. I'm looking to borrow my husband's hybrid vehicle instead of driving the non-hybrid I just bought since the gas savings will be significant.

Raleigh folks, what's the gas situation like there? I've read that stations as far north as Charlotte had to close yesterday due to lack of supplies. I'm trying to assess where and when to fuel up. I'm looking to borrow my husband's hybrid vehicle instead of driving the non-hybrid I just bought since the gas savings will be significant.

We're going to go ahead and come on down, but we'll be bringing a gas can with us just in case, and definitely refueling in Virginia.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Cella and I were talking about the gas situation, and I just passed a number of stations, all of them had gas. We've seen prices ranging from $2.89 to $3.29 a gallon. It is a mess. Needless to say, I don't know what the situation will be like this weekend. If it's bad here, it'll be bad everywhere and the entire country will come to a screeching halt.

I don't have a clue of what's going to happen with the gas, unfortunately. Here's a story from a local TV station that indicates the gas pipeline has just started running again. WRAL News Story

It's my understanding that the larger gas operations are still getting gas. Thus, if I had to bet, I'd put my money on gas being available. But I'm not a betting man.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We're going to go ahead and come on down, but we'll be bringing a gas can with us just in case, and definitely refueling in Virginia.

I'm glad y'all are coming, Heather. I think it'll be a very therapeutic weekend for all.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Re: Gas. Check the latest information at www.newsobserver.com or www.wral.com. As of 2 p.m., the people that operate the pipeline that supplies 90 percent of NC's gas say they're got power and are reopening it tonight or tomorrow. Apparently some stations in Charlotte did run out and a few in Raleigh have, but is not a widespread problem as of now. I filled up at $2.99 a gallon this morning, no problem (except for the bill . :shock: ) At this point, I'd not let the situation stop anyone, but each person has to be the judge and depending on how far you're coming. If you get stuck here, we'll probably have plenty of leftovers!