• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mario at Salumi

So who went to this Mario cookfest/book signing today?

Fiance and I head over for the 4:00 slot with a couple of friends. The cramped quarters of Salumi didn't exactly work for how they had it set up -- which was a standing room only grazing arrangement -- but the food was darn good. Highlights included bruchetta with goat cheese, basil, and salumi; turkey meatballs in ragu; this fava bean and chicory side dish that was both light and savory; a very flavorful sausage and broccoli rabe dish; and finally, this moist anise biscotti-like cookie that was both light and decadent at the same time. All washed down with some lovely Masi. I wish we'd brought the camera, because this food was beautiful.

As part of the event everyone received Mario's new cookbook autographed, which he was willing to personalize for anyone interested. I chatted with him for a few minutes about the question I asked him when he did his online chat on egullet a few months back about where besides Salumi he likes to eat when he visits his family in Seattle. He looked wiped out -- book tours and cooking nonstop must take their toll -- but he was very gracious and friendly and willing to chat about his food.

All in all it was a wonderful event even given the cramped quarters, well worth the price of admission. For the two friends that went with us it was their first visit to Salumi, and they'll definitely be back.

Did anyone else go? What did you think?

My boyfriend and I went to the 4:00 pm slot and had a good time. The food was wonderful!

I especially liked the veal and the turkey meatball. My boyfriend was partial to the pork with fennel. It was a little hard to get around but everyone was so friendly and happy to be there that it ended up being ok. Nothing like making some new friends over sausage and wine :biggrin:

Mario was very gracious and it was fun to get a chance to chat with him for a minute. I am going to be at Babbo Thursday night so for me exciting to know he will be back in NYC and at Babbo on Thursday. We brought our camera to take some pics of the food and Mario saw it and offered to have his pic taken with me - which was pretty fun too.

All in all a good event and well worth the time and money!!!

There must have been a large number of eG's at the 4:00 PM slot. I was there too and talked to at least nine others while I was there! Too bad we couldn't coordinate a meet and great!

I thought it was a good, if cramped, event. They did an amazing job of keeping it flowing with 60 people crammed into that small space. I did have to duck out a little early, just to keep my sanity but I was able to try a bit of everything. My favorite thing was the veal followed closely by the spicy turkey sausage.

Kieran, I agree that Mario looked wiped. I described him to a friend as looking "shell-shocked". I'm sure after 5 or 6 hours of small talk, anyone would look that way. It sounded like they were having an event for Amazon after our slot so he wasn't done for the day after we were done.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I also attended the 4:00. I loved every dish, but the oregano sausage with broccoli rabe was a highlight, as was the orecchiette aglio olio. They ran out of the cotechino "in jail" (i.e. wrapped in veal) before I could sample it. No bellini like last time, but the wine was plentiful, and I rested my glass on any level surface I could find. True, the crowd was large, but I managed to move about quite handily. The clearest spot was near the front of the house, and we enjoyed the breeze coming from the open door.

The event ended somewhat sourly when, at the 45-minute mark, the doorman barged through the crowd ringing a bell and ordering us out. He bellowed "you WILL leave in 15 minutes whether you want to or not!" and "we WILL show you the exit" with nary a "please" to be heard. I guess you need a bouncer's demeanor when you've got rock stars like Armandino and Mario around.

Coincidently, I was there at 4:00 as well. The sheer crowding was a little much, but the food was tasty and everyone was very nice. I agree that Mario looked wiped, but he definitely made an effort to be personable and chatty.

P1010018.jpg