• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Israeli Couscous or Marmaon

I just got a bag of dry marmaon, and I was going to cook it like any other dry pasta, but for some reason I doubted and decided to ask instead.

Do I cook it like regular pasta? And when cooked, is it as dry as north african couscous? Can I have some serving suggestions? thanks!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Israeli couscous is commercially made berkoukes (that is what the size and shape are called in Algeria and we've been eating it as long as we've had wheat). Handmade berkoukes is made like couscous (basically berkoukes are oversized couscous) by accretion. Commercially made berkoukes are called plombes in France and they are extruded like pasta. Plombes or commercially made berkoukes and like Israeli couscous it's basically like orzo pasta in a different shape. In the Middle East berkoukes are also called Maghrebiyaya meaning 'in the style of the Magreb" or made like the "Magrhreb".

The distinguishing characteristic of Israeli couscous is that it is toasted.

And when cooked, is it as dry as north african couscous?

North African couscous should not be dry when cooked. It should tender, light and fluffy. Of course by dry you can mean not wet. :raz:

Do I cook it like regular pasta?

Commercially prepared berkoukes, maghrebiyaya and plombes are boiled like pasta.

Fresh handmade berkoukes are steamed.

Serve with a sauce as for pasta or like couscous with a tajine.

I won't comment on what I think of couscous salads... :huh:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

You can also cook them first like pasta and then stir fry them with chopped vegetables or just browned onions and some type of seasoning. Which is how they are most commonly served here in Israel.

You can also cook them first like pasta and then stir fry them with chopped vegetables or just browned onions and some type of seasoning. Which is how they are most commonly served here in Israel.

That's what I did tonight :smile: Any tips on cooking the couscous evenly? Mine are not all the same size, and while some cooked nicely, others were a little underdone.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

First, I would direct you to the wonderful couscous thread which includes information on moghrebbiyya/ israeli couscous/ berkoukech. Scroll down to the bottom of the first page and the 2nd page.

I find one of the best ways to prepare israeli couscous/moghrabbiyya is to saute a small onion in some oil. Add the couscous to toast briefly, then add stock or water, bring to a boil and cook until done.

So yes, the best way of cooking it is simmering or boiling it in sauce/stock/water.

Two of my favorite preparations are the Lebanese preparation with chicken and baby onions (moghrebbiyeh ala djaj) and there is a recipe from Gourmet for couscous with preserved lemon, butternut squash, golden raisins, parsley and pine nuts.

That's what I did tonight :smile:Any tips on cooking the couscous evenly? Mine are not all the same size, and while some cooked nicely, others were a little underdone.

Big pot of salted boiling water. But because of the difference in size they will never cook evenly unless you do some size sorting and add them add different times. I wonder why commerially produced berkoukes/Israeli couscous are not uniform in size?

Here from The Great Book of Couscous by Copeland Marks.

It looks pretty good, I wouldn't add the potatoes unlike you really like starch. Also I recommend sauteeing the cooked berkoukes in a little butter or olive oil before adding it to the sauce. Also cooking times vary for the pasta, so check before the recommended time for an al dente texture.

EDIT: The Sadaf brand (I think it's a Lebanese company) is labeled "Toasted Couscous Moughrabuya (transliteration variation of Magrhebiya or Moghrebiya, etc) is

pretty uniform in size. I'm looking at a package now. There are few pieces in the package that are shaped like orzo though.

Edited by chefzadi (log)

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

• 1 year later...

I've had some Israeli couscous in my cupboard for quite awhile now and I'm really not sure what to do with it. I bought it because I had it at a work dinner in a Greek type salad which was very good. How do you use it? Any good recipes? Doesn't have to be salad, could easily be a hot dish too.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

i heat a little butter/olive oil, saute a shallot or other aromatics for a bit, add the couscous until it colors a little, then cover by about an inch with chicken or veg stock. bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes. in the last 5 minutes, i'll throw in some juliened carrots and/or bell peppers/arugula, prosciutto. i love it hot for dinner nad then cold, maybe with some cooked chicken or pork tossed in with some vinaigrette the next day. cook once, eat twice.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I usually toast mine in the oven first before cooking it like rice. It gets a nuttier flavour that way. I have been known to use it to stuff cabbage rolls with a variety of other ingredients like caramelized onions, roasted garlic, duck confit, parsley....etc.

:biggrin:

Where I used to work, we used it like risotto, sweat onions, toast couscous in pan and then add stock, gradually while stirring, cook to desired texture and add garnishes of your choice. I have also used in in salads, basically leftover plain couscous , tossed with vinaigrette and chopped veg, roasted red peppers, shallots etc..

I've had some Israeli couscous in my cupboard for quite awhile now and I'm really not sure what to do with it. I bought it because I had it at a work dinner in a Greek type salad which was very good. How do you use it? Any good recipes? Doesn't have to be salad, could easily be a hot dish too.

Just cook it the same way you would cook regular couscous. Not that much different, just a little bigger.

I rehydrated some morels and used their stock as the water part (strained carefully), I also toasted the couscous in chicken fat first. I should have added some shallots...would have made it even better... I'm a fan of the Israeli couscous...easier to eat.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

• 15 years later...

Not exactly airline food but my MIL gave me israelí couscous to take home on PBI DCA flight.  She bought one too many packages from the bargain bin.  TSA sent my carry on bag through the scanner twice.  I was genuinely surprised since there was nothing interesting in my bag.  Yes, you guessed it right.  It was the couscous.  They swiped it for explosives.  Needless to say, the couscous and I were declared safe to fly 😂

A725EF7A-2A96-44A1-AAEF-9D63ED07F08F.thumb.jpeg.adfe47eda493072f91a66e769e4134c4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, chefmd said:

Not exactly airline food but my MIL gave me israelí couscous to take home on PBI DCA flight.  She bought one too many packages from the bargain bin.  TSA sent my carry on bag through the scanner twice.  I was genuinely surprised since there was nothing interesting in my bag.  Yes, you guessed it right.  It was the couscous.  They swiped it for explosives.  Needless to say, the couscous and I were declared safe to fly 😂

A725EF7A-2A96-44A1-AAEF-9D63ED07F08F.thumb.jpeg.adfe47eda493072f91a66e769e4134c4.jpeg

My kind daughter-in-law gave me a bag of Israeli couscous.  I'm not sure what to do with it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker, you can prepare it in the style of risotto. Or if there is a cold rice salad that you like, cook/rinse/cool the cous cous (mix with some oil so it doesn't form a solid blob) and use that. Par cook and add to soup is another option.

• Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 2/7/2022 at 11:48 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My kind daughter-in-law gave me a bag of Israeli couscous.  I'm not sure what to do with it.

Its nice stuff. Brown it before adding water or stock.  It carries all kinds of sautéed veg well. Goes well w fish. 

Nice and easier sub for risotto. 

• Thanks 1