• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sirloin tip roast

sparrowgrass

I bought a side of beef last fall, and I have eaten most of the easy stuff--the burger, the steaks--but down in the bottom of the freezer lurks a 6 or 7 pound sirloin tip roast.

This was a lean little steer--almost no fat, so take that into consideration when you suggest recipes.

sparrowgrass

you can... well... roast it. Ok, I know, that was bad, but somebody had to make the cheap joke....

I would smoke it it possible. Cure it with salt, sugar and whatever spices you like. Let it marinate overnight, and smoke it at slow heat for several hours until tender.

If not possible, do the same cure and oven roast it for less hours at low-ish heat until tender.

Cooks.com has many suggestions on sirloin tip roast... hope it helps

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Add fat with a larding needle, put additional fat tied on top 325-350 for one hour, check temp, 125 for rare, rest and slice very thin. Good roast beef.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

These are good suggestions, but you should be aware that there is a thick strip of gristle going all the way through the sirloin tip cut. That is why it is cheaper than top sirloin. Carving at the table, you will need sharp, keen blade to avoid a last minute struggle.

I bought a side of beef last fall, and I have eaten most of the easy stuff--the burger, the steaks--but down in the bottom of the freezer lurks a 6 or 7 pound sirloin tip roast.

I know the intent was to get a recipe for sirloin tip. I've done a crock pot stew with what ever veggies I have in the fridge and few of my favorite herbs and spices.

Was very interested in your side of beef experience. How much meat did you get? How was it broken down? Did you get sick of beef at the end? Would you recommend to others? How was the quality of beef? Would appreciate any insight into the experience.

I sold my freezer and I'm looking for a reason to get another. Side of beef would be perfect but hesitent to commit to that long term of a relationship (sort of speak...).

Soup

I got lucky with the beef. I am in cattle country here, and my best bud, Cowboy Kenny, buys a dozen Corriente steers each year, to use for team penning and roping at the fairgrounds.

His Corrientes are little fellas--maybe a thousand pounds when they are grown, so a packaged side of beef is around 250 pounds or so. I live alone, but have shared some of the beef with my sons, when they visit, so I am not tired of beef.

My final cost, processing included, was about $2 a pound. (Processing includes killing and cutting/wrapping.) Of course, if some of you big city folks want to buy one, I will tell him to jack it up to $3. PM me for more info, if you want.

While I tease Kenny about this "stringy Mexican beef" and tell him I am tired of tacos, it really has been the best beef ever, very tender, and quite lean.

And, I know the critters had a good life. They did have to run around on Sundays and get roped and sorted, but the rest of the time they were on pasture. They were fattened on corn, no hormones or antibiotics.

sparrowgrass