• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colonial & Mills in Orlando

ecruz1026

Why didn't I know about this place?! After countless trips to Orlando I came across this strip of Vietnamese restaurants and stores and was dumbfounded. I didn't think a place like this existed in Florida. There are dozens of restaurants in the area (I ate at Little Saigon and Pho 88) and an Asian market the size of a small Publix (the markets here in Miami are the size of a 7-11 at most). Why doesn't this area get more buzz? The restaurants are as good as anything I had when I lived in L.A. and the prices are dirt cheap. Any similar experiences?

Why didn't I know about this place?!  After countless trips to Orlando I came across this strip of Vietnamese restaurants and stores and was dumbfounded.  I didn't think a place like this existed in Florida.  There are dozens of restaurants in the area (I ate at Little Saigon and Pho 88) and an Asian market the size of a small Publix (the markets here in Miami are the size of a 7-11 at most).  Why doesn't this area get more buzz?  The restaurants are as good as anything I had when I lived in L.A. and the prices are dirt cheap.  Any similar experiences?

Well, we know about it. In fact, it's said that other than LA Orlando has the best Vietnamese food and diversity in the states (go figure).

By the way, you missed the best place - Lac Viet, which is based on North Vietnamese cuisine. Just opened and receiving very nice reviews. But you did well by Little Saigon and Pho 88, both also quite nice.

I think the reason you don't hear about places like this is everyone is too busy bashing Orlando's cuisine based on hotel and tourist-area dining selections.

Here's another hidden secret - good Middle Eastern food. Next time you're here check out Cedar's, Middle Eastern Market, and Tony's.

I'm really happy to hear about these restaurants... what area of Orlando is this?

Thanks for the post.

The area is called "ViMi", for Vietnam on Mills. If you take the SR 50 exit (Colonial Drive) off of I-4 downtown and head east about 5 minutes, you will find it at the intersection of Colonial and Mills. The area actually radiates from that intersection north on Mills and east and west on Colonial.

These restaurants and stores are not fancy at all - they are low priced and low ambiance. But the food is great and a great value and very authentic (most menus are like 20 pages long :blink: )

If you are ever in Orlando and want to try Vietnamese in a nicer place, Rice Paper is a good option (although it was trashed by Tony on here a month ago). It's not perfect, but I think the food is good. The service is just ok. Rice Paper is in the Restaurant Row area on Turkey Lake Road right off Sand Lake Road (and next to the best Indian in town - Memories of India)

Edited by Bill_H (log)

Thanks, again. I do want to check these places out. When it comes to looking for good ethnic food such as this, I don't care so much if the service is just OK or if it's not fancy, as long as I know what I'm in for. I would like to give Rice Paper a try, as well.

...Looks like I need to drive over to Orlando for a day or two!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

If you are ever in Orlando and want to try Vietnamese in a nicer place, Rice Paper is a good option (although it was trashed by Tony on here a month ago). It's not perfect, but I think the food is good. The service is just ok. Rice Paper is in the Restaurant Row area on Turkey Lake Road right off Sand Lake Road (and next to the best Indian in town - Memories of India)

Ok, I have been on hiatus for a while, but now I am back. I ddin't have the best experience at Rice Paper, but I have only been once. I have found the menus in the VIMI area of town to be better, more authentic, and better tasting, but who am I? To each his own. This is a great area of town, and if you head the opposite way down 50, about 4 or 5 miles, right before the 50 and Kirkman Road intersectoin, there is a HUGE oriental Market, I think the name of it is First Oriental Market, it used to be a WAL-MART, and yes, it is that big. Best produce, better than Fresh Market, and live seafood, if you can get over teh smell or the cigarette hanging from the guy who is going to scale it for you. Better than anything I have ever seen, even in Boston or Providence.

Thanks for the heads up on the Middle Eastern stuff, I will have to check that out...

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com