• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

making lox?

sashae

Any good suggestions on how to go about making nova lox from scratch?  Having moved from NYC to LA, the lack of decent lox out here is pretty appalling, but I figure it's worth a shot to try it at home...

Anyone with some good experience in that regard?

-s

This may sound a bit odd as it's not a cookbook but just for fun you might check the library for "The History of Salt". It's a bit dense in parts but presents a really fascinating perspective on how salt has influenced cultural development, politics, wars and every other thing you can imagine through the millenia. They had lots of fascinating info on the differences between real lox and the less salty more contemprorary version that we typically call Nova lox. IIRC there were some recipes in there for making a variety of salted fish products. Some were ancient and included instructions for things like having a 15 year old boy jump on th leather cover to the barrel to compact the layers of salt and fish  but there were a few contemporary references. Probably won't really get what you want in there but if you're into food it's an amazing read.

We've cured a few salmons with a variety of flavourings. Tequila and cilantro. Gin and juniper berries. Cognac and whatever the heck other herbs we had about. Very much worth the time, as that is the only taxing bit about it.

Making your own gravlax is pretty easy.  I just made some Wild Fennel Gravlax with some fresh Alaskan Copper River Wild Sockeye Salmon over the weekend with excellent results.  This recipe is paraphrased and slightly adjusted from a recipe from the Williams Sonoma - "The Pacific Northwest" cookbook.  

I combined 1 tsp fennel seeds with 1/3. C. sugar, 1/3 C. coarse salt, 1 tsp. coarse pepper.  I rubbed (2) 1/2 lb. salmon fillets (de-scaled) on both sides with the fennel-seed mixture (using it all).  The I placed 1 of the fillets flesh side up on a piece of saran wrap and topped with wild fennel fronds.  Then sprinkled 1 T. or more of vodka over it.  Then I placed the second fillet flesh side down over the first piece of salmon, making kind of a sandwich.  Then finished wrapping in saran wrap, and placed in a plastic container to fit.  Placed some weighted cans on top and refrigerated almost 48 hours, turning over once or twice.  Then I washed off the fennel fronds and other seasonings and re-wrapped it in saran and put in the freezer for almost 24 hours (for safety), then thawed it.  This is the first time I've ever froze it, as this recipe called for it, and I figured what the heck, I'll follow the recipe.  As it turns out, I could not tell it had been frozen, and many grocery stores also sell their's frozen/thawed too, as that is how it arrives at their stores.  I served it on thin sliced campagnola (wheat country) bread with a light smeer of butter first.  Excellent.

You can substitute dill for the fennel, and also use brandy in lieu of vodka, or adjust the seasonings to your liking.  Be sure not to skimp on the salt though.

There is also a thing on the market called the "lox box" for maybe $15 that will also produce excellent home-made gravlax/lox and I've used it many times with success, too.  Good luck.

I used to do this. But over the past years I can't let lovely fresh salmon be within a certain distance from me without making it into sashimi, grilling it, steaming it in sake or, well...just eating it. And I've never made smoked salmon better than I could buy.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If you don't have a real smoker, it's very difficult to smoke better than a commercial establishment. There are stovetop smokers that are closed containers that you line with sawdust and place on the burner but these don't work for large pieces of fish or extended smoking, say over half an hour.

Since it's raining salmon in Seattle at the moment, I think I'm going to have to smoke some up. My last salmon I smoked was cripplingly good. I say if you don't eat it raw, then smoke it. Although I've had great results with just simple salt, pepper and lime or lemon juice.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you need to use any particular kind of salt to successfully make lox?  Are the more coarsely ground salts better or are the finer ones? Also, can you make lox from any kind of salmon?  I can get fresh salmon here which is usually shipped the day it's caught in the Atlantic and sent to Chicago...it's usually available to me the next day.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway