• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lawnmower Beer

Susan in FL

What is your favorite beer for guzzling down after (or while :smile:) you're working in the yard or whatever? I think of a lawnmower beer as refreshing, as well, and one that is light enough that I can drink lots.

It's Corona for me. That is about as light as I can stand to drink. I wish I liked light or lite beers more than I do. I would save on some calories that way.

One that I really like, however, is Dogfish Head Lawnmower Light. I wish that he would bottle it! It would be perfect for such a beer. It's available only at the brewpub, as far as I know. In the hottest of the heat of the summer here, we drink fewer heavy beers. Now that we can more easily find Dogfish Head beers in Florida, I wish even more that it was bottled.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Well, it wasn't the lawnmower that drove me to drink, it was a round of golf followed by my son's baseball game. I had Ommegang Witte. It was perfect--light, fruity, thirst quenching.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Alaskan Summer Ale

BridgePort IPA- long time favorite

Widmer Hefeweizen with tons of lemon

And since I use a manual lawnmower I feel that I'm entitled to quite of few of the aforementioned beers. :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

corona is good...

as is middlebury ale by otter creek

how come so many chicks are answering this? :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

corona is good...

as is middlebury ale by otter creek

how come so many chicks are answering this? :rolleyes:

Yeah, how come? Guess we just do so much work... makes us have to drink so much beer.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I havn't bought beer for myself for a couple years, not a big beer drinker I guess. But one of the few times I like a beer is mowing and since the wife is a beer hound, I just grab a couple of hers...usually Heineken, Leinenkugels or Grain Belt if there are any left.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Were price no object, Rodenbach would be the only beer I drank all summer.

Given that it is, homebrewed witbiers are my regular summer beers of choice.

I picked up a case of summer beers from Saranac, and found a couple of winners in the mix-- their Hefeweizen is quite passable and pleasant on a warm summer afternoon, their Witbier is in the same sort of vein as Blue Moon... not a Celis White, but an alright interpretation of the style. My favorite in the case is the Mountain Ale, which is a coppery colored beer brewed with bunches of berries, so it looks like your average pale ale, but packs a fruity sour kick that is quite nice indeed.

The Pilsener and Kolsch are so-so, and not really to my tastes... and the Summer Ale was so lacking in distinctiveness or memorability I just had to go down to the case to remind myself what the sixth type of beer in there was.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

New River Pale Ale from Old Dominion. Its local so the price is right and it is very good. One of, if not the best, American Pale Ales I have ever had.

The unfiltered Giradin Gueuze would be competing for the top spot if it wasn't $7 for 375ml!!! Actually any decent gueuze but they all cost too much to guzzle down.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

The last time I tried to drink a beer while I mowed the lawn, it was a Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock, and it quickly and sneakily knocked me for a loop. It was something over 8% ABV. You should have seen the lawn.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Oh sure! Now ya tell me! The beer is supposed to be consumed AFTER you cut the grass!

Last Thursday afternoon, my friend Tim came over for beer and cigars. We started out with, believe it or not, an Iron City! That was quickly followed by Boulevard's Bob's '47, then a homebrewed Saison, a Goose Island Oatmeal Stout, and a Quadrupple of some sort and a barleywine. Cigars were enjoyed with the bigger beers. When the beers were gone, Tim found his way to his car and drove home.

We conducted this tasting in my backyard and all the while I couldn't help but notice that the grass needed cut. So, when Tim departed I thought, no time like the present to run the mower over the lawn.

No problems were encountered while trimming and mowing in the front yard. However, when I got to the backyard, I guess the Quadrupple kicked in! As I was pushing the mower near a back corner of the house, I tripped over some edging to the flower bed. Fortunately, as I let loose of the mower handle it shut down, and I was able to push the contraption off to the right, but as I did, I fell to the left into the corner of the brick house! Oh mighty, mighty, she's a...never mind, anyway I slid down the corner of the house on the way to the flower bed.

I now have a scrape and bruise from just under my left arm all the way down to my waist. And it hurt!

So, the way I figure it, I have two choices: only drink beer AFTER the mowing; or, get someone else to cut the yard as I supervise while enjoying a beer!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Okbrewer, that kind of reminds me of the visual I had in my mind's eye Sunday when I was up trimming storm damage in an old oak tree when my GF kept asking me if I wanted a beer...

Hmm... 20 feet up sucking down suds. No good can come of that.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Okbrewer, that kind of reminds me of the visual I had in my mind's eye Sunday when I was up trimming storm damage in an old oak tree when my GF kept asking me if I wanted a beer...

Hmm... 20 feet up sucking down suds.  No good can come of that.

Hmmm.....perhaps she thought the same thing??? :raz::raz:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

'sokay, dude. My GF keeps the fridge so stocked with Bud Light that I can't get any other suds in edgewise.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I really like New Glarus Brewing's Spotted Cow.

Unfortunately, not available outside the midwest.

:sad:

When it gets hot, I usually commence my annual tasting of big bottles of German Weiss bier. I also see lots of other folks listing German Weiss beers as great hot weather beer.

Why is it American Micro Breweries can make quality Ales and Belgian style beers; but, more often than not, fall on their face when they try to make a high quality Lager or Hefe-Weissen? Is it the water?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

For mowing? The King of Beers.

You may commence ridicule now.

If it were me and I was going for the 'beer worthy of ridicule' angle, I would choose 'The Champagne of Beers' over 'The King of Beers'?

Usually, though, when I had a lawn to mow either a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or a New Glarus Edel Pils was my reward for a job...er...done.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Why is it American Micro Breweries can make quality Ales and Belgian style beers; but, more often than not, fall on their face when they try to make a high quality Lager or Hefe-Weissen?  Is it the water?

I've noticed that most of the micro-brewed beer I see on the shelves is Ale as opposed to lager. One exception that I am aware of is the offerings from Sprecher Brewery in Milwaukee. They built their operation on the success of their lagers (Special Amber and Black Bavarian) and many of their seasonals are also lagers. At a brewery tour I took there moons ago, I remember them saying that the water in Milwaukee (from limestone aquifer) compares well with water typical of Munich. Never seen any analysis backing that so it may just be beer-tour hooey.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I commend all y'all who drink pricier, tastier beers during or after sweaty summer activities but I definitely have to side with the folks who go for the cheap American-style lagers. With a few exceptions based only on my personal preferences, just about any ice cold can of beer will do. Yes, I said "can". If it's from a cooler full of ice and beer more the better. Frankly, I think a so-called "good" beer is wasted on a hot summer afternoon. I find ice cold cheapies to be far more refreshing. I imagine it's the lack of all that flavor that works for me.

My preference would be for most any of the beers that originated in Wisconsin: Hamms, Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, Blatz, Leinenkugels, Point, Huber et al. I wouldn't be too excited by Old Style or Old Milwaukee but on a really hot day I wouldn't say no. I'd have to be pretty desperate, though, to drink a Rhinelander. I'm told it's good in and around Rhinelander but it sure doesn't travel well.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

My preference would be for most any of the beers that originated in Wisconsin:  Hamms, Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, Blatz, Leinenkugels, Point, Huber et al.  I wouldn't be too excited by Old Style or Old Milwaukee but on a really hot day I wouldn't say no.  I'd have to be pretty desperate, though, to drink a Rhinelander.  I'm told it's good in and around Rhinelander but it sure doesn't travel well.

Kurt

So sad that a number in your list are no longer brewed in Wisconsin.

Point was a beer I often bought by the longneck case and stocked in the beer fridge. Sadly, I stopped seeing the returnable bottle cases sometime before we moved from Wisconsin.

As for Rhinelander, I haven't had it since the mid-80s when a returnable bottle case was running around four times the nickel-per-bottle deposit. Our tastes at the time were for whatever was cheapest.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

My preference would be for most any of the beers that originated in Wisconsin:  Hamms, Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, Blatz, Leinenkugels, Point, Huber et al.  I wouldn't be too excited by Old Style or Old Milwaukee but on a really hot day I wouldn't say no.  I'd have to be pretty desperate, though, to drink a Rhinelander.  I'm told it's good in and around Rhinelander but it sure doesn't travel well.

Kurt

So sad that a number in your list are no longer brewed in Wisconsin...

Boy, you got that right. It's really a damn shame.

One thing I got wrong was calling Hamms a Wisconsin beer. I was thinking of the days when Pabst owned it and brewed it in LaCrosse. It's originally a Minnesota beer. Oh, well, most people outside the midwest think MN and WI are the same state anyway.

...As for Rhinelander, I haven't had it since the mid-80s when a returnable bottle case was running around four times the nickel-per-bottle deposit. Our tastes at the time were for whatever was cheapest...

Once during my college years a pal and I hit the liquor store and we each bought a case of longnecks. He bought Rhinelander and I bought Blatz. I think he saved an extra dime or two. I don't think either case cost more than four bucks. It wasn't long before he was offering to trade me two-for-one. If I could possibly have stomached the Rhinelander I would have taken him up on it. That he was willing to trade two-for-one shows just how nasty that beer was. Maybe you were close enough to Rhinelander to get it at it's "best" but, if not, you are a better man than I for drinking it anyway.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake