• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ruth Reichl disappointed by her Chicago lunch

What's table turning?

It's seating a new party at a recenly-vacated table. Restaurants (and servers) try to turn their tables as often as possible, for obvious reasons.

Oh, thanks.

I got the idea that the customers were doing the table-turning and thought, "What? They turned over the table?" Ha.

I would have taken her to NOMI, or Lula Cafe (for a more neighborhood feel), there are SO many places she could have picked that the article frustrated me. RR probably has her own list of where to go to lunch in Chicago and I bet it frustrated her too! Needless to say, I agree with those of you who said that Chicago has great restaurants, lots of them and people from all over know this to be a fact. I have lived in London and Tokyo and I can tell you that people in both of those cities realize that Chicago is a great place to eat. We just have to stop worrying that people from New York don't agree. The reality is that people from New York probably don't care one way or the other, unless they are coming out here for the weekend. :wink:

Hikari

What's table turning?

It's seating a new party at a recenly-vacated table. Restaurants (and servers) try to turn their tables as often as possible, for obvious reasons.

Yes, but let me add, we were only at the table for 1 1/2 hours. It would have been acceptable at 2 hours, especially with a $245+ check. Hmmm, maybe I should start a thread about Turning Tables and the what is an acceptable time limit?

Emma Peel

I sense there's a misconception about Ruth Reichl. Yes, she lives in NYC now (and has since taking the job at the Times before her current position at Gourmet), but having read all three of her memoirs (Tender at the Bone, Comfort Me with Apples, and Garlic and Sapphires), I have an impression of her as a lover of all kinds of foods, from french fries to foie gras, so to speak. Indeed, she spends much time in her latest memoir worrying about whether she even wants to move to New York (from her previous job in LA). Once in New York, she vowed to try to change New Yorkers' conceptions about what a "great restaurant" really is, despite pressures from her readers and bosses alike. She may live and work in New York now, but she's a "Berkeley gal" in spirit. Reuniting with a colleage for a meal in New York, she wonders aloud to him (QFM), "Can you believe they're paying us to do this?" I enjoy her criticism, even if I don't always agree with it.

I would have taken Ms. Reichel to the "Elegant Dining Room" at Mr. Beef.

Hi, New Yorker here. I scored a "table" in the elegant dining room this summer. :smile:

gallery_7453_211_1097464221.jpg

I have a picture of me next to the "elegant dining room" sign and one of me in the dining room. I always show friends the pictures in that order. They love it. While I was there, I had great Italian beef, great dogs, of course, and fine hot links. Long live Chicago!

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

A vegan place--I am sorry, but tasty vegan fair is an oxymoron (and the person who chose that place is obviously a moron). I agree with the poster who suggested an elegant lunch at Mr. Beef. That would have been a great Chicago lunch (combo with extra jus and hot giardinara for me please!).

S. Cue

A vegan place--I am sorry, but tasty vegan fair is an oxymoron (and the person who chose that place is obviously a moron). I agree with the poster who suggested an elegant lunch at Mr. Beef. That would have been a great Chicago lunch (combo with extra jus and hot giardinara for me please!).

Soul Veg on the south side has some extremely vegan fare (and this is coming from an an avowed meat-eater)...but that could be the exception that proves the rule.

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

Soul Veg on the south side has some extremely vegan fare (and this is coming from an an avowed meat-eater)...but that could be the exception that proves the rule.

Check out another exception at Dragonfly, in Columbus, OH

Awesome food that convinced this omnivore

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com