• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burlington VT Area Restaurants

Here is what I have saved from eGullet alone. Some might think you are lazy. You could have easily used the search feature in eGullet...

“I strongly recommend Opaline, definitely the nicest place for dinner in Burlington if you like intimate settings. Opaline is a very small, very intimate French restaurant with an art gallery in its basement. The food is excellent and the wine list interesting. It is a little difficult to find as it is located down a rather deserted looking alley.

I also like Trattoria Delia on St. Paul. Italian (guess that's obvious) and good wines.

If you are looking for a younger crowd, I would suggest L'Amante. Try the fried squash blossoms with Tuscan honey and truffle oil. You will thank me.”

Smokejack's- “Nice wine and cheese selections, food is very good, and the atmosphere is probably more in line with what you're looking for - up to date, modern. Plus, it is right downtown on the corner of Church and Main - so you can take a nice walk before and/or after dinner up church st. or down to the waterfront.”

Kitchen Table

Cascades Lodge-for Breakfast

Penny Close-breakfast/lunch

Rouques (mexican) recommended and not recommended--"Have to strongly disagree with the Rouques suggestion. Four of us ate there over Xmas and had a very mediocre meal. The margaritas lacked tequila, the salsa lacked spice, the chips were greasy, the guacamole was blender-blah, all entrees were Chi-Chi's-esque---the only good thing we had was some decent pork on the nachos. And by the way, we only got nachos because of a major lack of interesting apps--cheese fundido, quesadillas, nachos...blah.

Single Pebble, Smokejack's, Kitchen Table, Cafe Shelburne--these are better bets.”

Conosenti's in Monpelier, an often overlooked gem.

These are nearby:

Kitchen Table Bistro in Richmond

Mad River Valley area- Waitsfield/Warren:

Pitcher Inn - previously mentioned in this line - a great Relais & Chateaux property - say hello to Ari who heads up the dining room

Big World Pub - doesn't look like much from the outside - but boy can they cook inside - try the 'dog bones'

American Flatbread - yummm - enough said!

The Spotted Cow - small upscale diner

The Den - great locals spot - killer burgers - say hello to John and Bobby - two brothers who own the spot

The Common Man - after the Pitcher Inn - the next upscale spot in the area

The Millcroft Inn - on hwy 17 - outstanding food with Indian twists - always good - nice wine list

a couple of other spots - not sure of recent reviews but when we lived there they were on the favorites list.

Marys - mentioned earlier at Baldwin Creek - fabulous

Marsala Salsa in Waterbury - some of the hottest vindaloo ever - so good with a Vermont microbrew.

Thrush Tavern in Montpelier - good burgers and soups

There's a new restaurant in Brandon called Cafe Provence. Owned by Chef Barral, one of the founders of the New England Culinary Institute. I haven't been there yet but I trust Barral. An hour from Burlington.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

It's been a couple years, but I always liked NECI Commons in Burlington. NECI also operates restaurants in Montpelier and elsewhere, but when I was last at the Montpelier establishments they were smaller scale.

If you ever get down to Queechee, you might also try Simon Pearce Glassworks which is really cool and had a nice restaurant last time I was there.

I'll be following this thread and would love to hear updates on the two I've mentioned as well as others as I hope to get back to that area ASAP.

Here's another Burlington recommendation that I didn't see in the compilation above. The Daily Planet on Center Street is a local favorite. I work at UVM, and my department had a standing reservation on Tuesday evenings for whoever felt like hanging out--the atmosphere encourages that. (And as a humanities department, it was also important that it be relatively inexpensive.) The food is interesting--I had grilled duck breast with Cajun sides last time I was there, and in the past have enjoyed lamb shank on risotto, rabbit stew, pan-fried stuffed trout wrapped in bacon :wub: ... Good wines by the glass, and their house red is something like 3 bucks a glass, and funny martinis if you like that sort of thing.

Let us know where you go, and what you thought of it!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Here's another Burlington recommendation that I didn't see in the compilation above. The Daily Planet on Center Street is a local favorite. I work at UVM, and my department had a standing reservation on Tuesday evenings for whoever felt like hanging out--the atmosphere encourages that. (And as a humanities department, it was also important that it be relatively inexpensive.) The food is interesting--I had grilled duck breast with Cajun sides last time I was there, and in the past have enjoyed lamb shank on risotto, rabbit stew, pan-fried stuffed trout wrapped in bacon  :wub: ... Good wines by the glass, and their house red is something like 3 bucks a glass, and funny martinis if you like that sort of thing.

Let us know where you go, and what you thought of it!

Ahhh, the Planet!

Such memories. Very good food. Excellent service. Fabulous bar and music. Spent way too much time there in the eighties eating, drinking, getting my heart torn to pieces...

Whenever I'm in town I stop in for a cocktail and an app. I always recognize someone. :wub:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

In Burlington, check out A Single Pebble, a truly great Chinese Restaurant. Try the Red Pine Chicken and the Mock Eel. Also check out L'amante, Italian style presentation and service using great local ingredients. Signature dish: deep fried squash blossoms stuffed with tallegio cheese and drizzled with Tuscan honey and truffle oil.

Edited by rcianci (log)

• 2 weeks later...

i like A Single Pebble, NECI, SmokeJacks and Iron Wolf for dinner. In Vergeens (about 30-45min south of town on Rt 7) go to Starry Night Cafe. Great food and a country setting can't be beat. In Barre, just south of Montpelier, there are now some really good spots. The Farmers Diner is a MUST. The food is from local farms and good prices combine with great service. Also Sean&Nora's is new and has been getting good reviews (both on Main St.). Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was in the Burlington area visiting my parents last week. A nice new edition (opened in October 2004) to the ethnic restaurant scene in the greater Burlington area is Tiny Thai at the Lang Farm Center in Essex. It serves genuine--not Americanized--Thai food at very reasonable prices.

Here's a brief write-up from the Burlington Free Press: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/wkend/taste/9.htm

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 3 months later...

I wish the many threads on the Burlington area could be combined rather than start another new one.

My 2 cents: Kitchen Table Bistro in Richmond (Exit 11 off I-89).

Liam

Eat it, eat it

You've got the three best recommendations for Burlington, I would also add Opalines.

In Jeff, there isn't much for food. Jana's is the local favorite for hearty breakfast, but I have not eaten there with the new owners.

In Stowe you could try the Trapp Lodge, more for ambiance than food, Michael's on the Hill (actually in Waterbury), or Pickwick's pub for English fare

I wish the many threads on the Burlington area could be combined rather than start another new one.

My 2 cents: Kitchen Table Bistro in Richmond (Exit 11 off I-89).

I agree with liamdc. There is recent discussion on this. Wouldn't it be better to pickup where it left off and ask if anyone has an update on it?

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed Michael's on the Hill, but it was not in the last year.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

• 4 months later...

Bump.

I ate at the Kitchen Table in Richmond (Exit 11 on I-89) the other night and thought it was excellent. They make a point of serving local and/or organic meat and produce. All six of us were very happy, and I can personally vouch for an arugula, beet, blue cheese and pistachio salad; gnocchi with braised short ribs, roasted brussels sprouts, and carrots, and Meyer lemon and blood orange mousse with vanilla cream and blueberry coulis. The wine list is extensive.

A couple of updates from the lists above--Opaline, sadly, has closed, and so has NECI on Church Street in Burlington.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

-Malcolm Dalglish

• 2 weeks later...

Had breakfast at Penny Cluse Cafe yesterday. Oh. My. God. I love eating breakfast out, and I love diners (Oasis and Blue Line are two that I really like locally). This was more upscale food, but not inordinately expensive.

I had sunnyside up eggs, hash browns, corn muffins and andouille (ham, sausage, chicken-apple sausage, bacon were other choices). Others had, and enjoyed: huevos rancheros (raved about the black beans), gingerbread pancakes with blueberries, and garlicky kale quesadillas. There was also a duck hash special. Tangerine juice. The fruit plate was interesting, with kiwi, mango, and papaya besides the usual suspects.

There was a line by 8:30 on a weekday.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

-Malcolm Dalglish

• 2 weeks later...

If no one mentioned it yet there is a place called American Flatbread Company that do pretty damn good pizzas. Nice casual place, good local beer selection, and in my experience, good friendly service.

Certainly a casual spot, but the wood oven pizza is great. Nice apple pie, FYI.

• 2 years later...

Bistro Sauce just down the road in Shelburne, Kitchen Table Bistro in Richmond, Sonoma Station in Richmond. All are really good, farm to table bistro fare. Sauce has the most innovative wine list, Kitchen Table is the nicest, Sonoma has a great vibe.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

• 1 month later...
Bistro Sauce just down the road in Shelburne, Kitchen Table Bistro in Richmond, Sonoma Station in Richmond. All are really good, farm to table bistro fare. Sauce has the most innovative wine list, Kitchen Table is the nicest, Sonoma has a great vibe.

kitchen table bistro in richmond was very very good, so nice. Really nice atmosphere. Excellent food and good wine advice from sommelier/wine guy. Thank you for the recommendation!

• 1 month later...
I'll be in Burlington over Labor Day weekend.  I always eat at SmokeJack's.  Is there any other place I should try?

VERY sad news about the recent demise of Smokejacks.

Read this article from Seven Days.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

• 10 years later...

Another long weekend in Burlington, with some leaves still left on the trees.

iSker67.jpg?1

GbmLyhg.jpg?1

We basically ate at the same places we ate last time.  Misery Loves Company where I took this awful picture

ucqesYE.jpg?1

was quite good. That's an all house-made charcuterie platter, one of the best I've had.

Plenty of these at their local farmer's market, last Saturday of the season for the market...

NrXZ8c9.jpg?1

Other dining included Farmhouse Tap and Grill (great beer and cider selection, good enough food), E.B. Strong's, a steakhouse, where we had a nice dinner (my rack of lamb was a whole rack, cooked right, $38) and a casual lunch place or two, including Bluebird Barbecue, where the barbecue was surprisingly better than I expected it to be.

A lovely little city.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 year later...

Back at the Farmhouse last weekend, along with Bistro de Margot and E B Strong's, which is kind of a classic old steakhouse (you know, the ones with the 8 oz. martinis). We always have a nice time, the food isn't revelatory, but it's fine for what it is. Our favorite place had not yet transitioned back into a "normal" restaurant, only operating via takeout. Ah well, there's always next time.

1494707891_Farmhouse2.jpg.17d7ab30a95faee27cf073b50472f52e.jpg1460206646_FarmhouseBack.jpg.5bd365cea0e4d61dc01723d57efa136b.jpg\

The beer/cider list at Farmhouse is great, with the ability to taste quite a few beers with the 6 oz. pours. The bottle/can list not pictured is also quite extensive.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?