• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodie mag recipes

KSherer

Just curious - any non-professional cooks/chefs cook from Art Culinaire?  (Full disclosure - I have been exec editor since November)

Ive never even heard of that magazine.

Yikes!

www.getartc.com

It's been around since 1986, published as a hardcover quarterly, aimed at chefs and industry professionals but with appeal (I hope!) for non-pros as well. 85 full-color pages, 50 (well-tested) recipes/issue.

<b>Laurie Woolever</b>

Hello Laurie,

I have been a big fan of this periodical since 2000. :wub: Admittedly, I have never tried a recipe from start to finish. (Usually there are a couple key ingredients not available to me.) However, it has been a great source for plating ideas as well as trying individual components for other dishes. I like reading the chef interviews and exposés to see what inspires them, or what they're currently doing for new trends. And when I feel a need to drool, I turn to this publication. :cool:

Any chance Thomas Keller will be appearing soon?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Just curious - any non-professional cooks/chefs cook from Art Culinaire?  (Full disclosure - I have been exec editor since November)

Really Nice! hooked me on AC a few years ago. I'm definitely non-professional :wacko: , and I do cook from it. Most recently I fixed a coffee-laced duck breast pastrami sandwich that was fabulous.

Cook's Illustrated is excellent - I love how they delve into methods and offer multiple recipes along the same lines - variations on a theme, if you will.

I know this is probably going to provoke uproar from those of you who find Gourmet to be nothing more than an extended monthly product placement, but I really enjoy their recipes. I rarely follow a recipe to the letter more than once (if that), and I find theirs to be great jumping-off points.

I haven't used recipes from Martha Stewart living that much, but the ones I've gotten from her website and cookbooks are excellent. I'm also a big fan of Mark Bittman - NYT isn't technically a magazine, but it's a periodical, so I think it counts!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I've been a bit frustrated with Martha Stewart Living lately. My wife and I used to make a habit of making the monthly featured menu (the one on the cards); but, there hasn't been anything appealing for months now. They also seem to have more or less cut out the monthly dinner party article/photos/recipes. Not sure what is going on with the magazine. Perhaps they are putting more effort into Everyday Food. At this point, I doubt I will renew MSL the next time it comes up.

I get Gourmet; but, cook more from Epicurious.com than the magazine proper. There was a period of 6 or 7 months last year when the Gourmet seemed to be morphing into a travel/lifestyle periodical for the very wealthy instead of a cooking magazine. However, in the last few months, they have had more recipes and features that seem appealing. [Grumpy Old Man Voice] I still don't like the new layout style. It makes it nearly impossible to differentiate between the ads and the magazine content.[/Grumpy Old Man Voice]

We have more luck with recipes in Eating Well than Cooking Light, though don't subscribe to either.

Along with the NY Times, our local paper has a weekly food section which I frequently, uh, adapt recipes from.

I will have to check out some of the other periodicals listed here.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Hello Laurie,

I have been a big fan of this periodical since 2000.  :wub: Admittedly, I have never tried a recipe from start to finish. (Usually there are a couple key ingredients not available to me.) However, it has been a great source for plating ideas as well as trying individual components for other dishes. I like reading the chef interviews and exposés to see what inspires them, or what they're currently doing for new trends. And when I feel a need to drool, I turn to this publication.  :cool:

Any chance Thomas Keller will be appearing soon?

From your post to god's ear...

<b>Laurie Woolever</b>