• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A couple of famous Zin TN's

Andre

Turley Old Vines Zinfandel, California 1999

Deep yet not too complex nose qith a distinctive alcoholic finish. [perhaps th 15.3% alcohol]

Green almonds mix with some sweet prunes and blueberry nose collides with an alcoholic ending.

Tee medium to full bodied wine is sweet on the entry backed up by good acidity, spice and an alcoholic finish.

Too much of nothing that can keep three more years easy.

Rutherford Hill Mead Ranch Nappa Valey Zinfandel 1994.

Very deep dark intense red color moving towards a slightly lighetr rim.

Deep complex nose with layers of ripe and dried fruits ending with very mild soft spice and some earthy notes.

Quite spicy on the tongue, this full bodied wine shows still some very good acidity to back up its complex character for another 4 years to come.

The wine needed at least half an hour to start opening up showing massive layers of sweet fruits and spice.

Drink now – 2009.

Would love to hear Zin. recommendations.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Love the Rafanelli, but it can be hard to find. Strangely enough, it is easier for me to get hold of here in Tokyo than it is in the US. I managed to get a full case of the 2001.

I'm generally partial to the Dry Creek expression of zin, but a good Amador is something that needs to be tried at least once.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.