• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raymond's (Montclair)

richl2214

Looks like Raymonds is open for dinner now. I haven't checked it out and I don't know how long they have been serving dinner for but I kow they are open tonight. Anyone been yet?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

There's a short thread on Raymond's here but it was created before they started serving dinner. I'm betting that there is more about the place on one of the Montclair threads if you do a search for Raymond's in the NJ forum.

Fwiw, we tried to have lunch there this past Monday, and at 1:45 the place was a ZOO. I suspect that will be the case tonight as well, esp since Montclair is having a First Night event. I haven't eaten there since they moved to the new space, but am curious to know how dinner is too.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I've had dinner at Raymond's a couple of times since they started it up again just before Christmas. Wonderful on all occasions! It also hasn't been too crowded and the dinner menu contains some items from the lunch menu(at the lunch prices) as well as some really terrific new things. I had the sea bass on New Year's Eve and it was fantastic!

• 2 months later...

I know that the subhead of this thread is Serving dinner, but I just have to say that I officially have a new favorite place for breakfast. My mom and I were on duty this weekend with my 3 year-old niece, and since Raymond's is only a few blocks from where my bro lives, we decided to take a walk for breakfast. (Note: we'd been WIDE AWAKE since 6:30, so I reaaaally needed coffee! :laugh: We arrived just before 9am, and about 1/4 of the tables were occupied; by 10:15, it was almost full!

Mom and I both ordered the spinach/goat cheese/tomato omelette, but I substituted mushrooms for tomatoes in mine. I tend to find that omelettes are often too heavy with one ingredient or another, but this one was beautifully balanced, the veggies didn't water it down, and it even included some fresh herbs. The home fries were fine--nothing special, but certainly not bad. And the toast...oh, the toast! I know that sounds funny, but they are using a wonderful multi-grain bread, and I ate all of it, which is highly unusual for me. :wub: My niece was thrilled to get her chocolate milk (freshly mixed with syrup, btw) in a cup with a lid and a straw, and her french toast was fantastic! Five fat pieces of bread (too fat to have been a baguette, but not Italian bread--who knows?) that had obviously been generously soaked in egg b/c it was a gorgeous yellow inside, and perfectly cooked. The fresh fruit that came with it was all delicious as well. Tab for the 3 of us was $36, which I thought was very reasonable considering that it was so good, the service was decent, and the coffee terrific. I strongly recommend you go early and beat the rush, as we had a leisurely breakfast that way, but if you go any later than 9:30, just be prepared to wait. Also a warning that if you're not interested in dining with lots of kids around (albeit well-behaved kids, from what we saw), this might not be a good choice--I'd guess that 1/2 of the tables had kids of varying ages at them.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Think center-cut perfectly cooked bacon at Raymond's for breakfast can't be beat. bacon is the reason I could never even think of being a vegetarian.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Sure. Torture me a day later, why don't you?!? :wacko:

Actually, my mom (the vegetarian) came back from the rest room and exclaimed "WOW, does that bacon smell good!" so I should have realized then and there that they were serving something great! :laugh:

• 2 months later...

A Spritz From the Past (NY Times)

The new Raymond's inhabits 28's old address, the space brilliantly transformed by the design team of Christian Garnett and Ian McPheely. The attitude is gone, and so is some of the ambition; the dinner menu is now straight-ahead bistro with a Mediterranean inflection, and breakfast and lunch menus offer headliners like eggs any style and a meatloaf sandwich. Prices are remarkably gentle, with dinner entrees topping out at $20.

These down-to-earth qualities are somewhat surprising, given the identity of the chef, Matt Seeber. He is quite a catch, even for Montclair: an authentic Manhattan star, having apprenticed to the great Tom Colicchio at Gramercy Tavern and then worked as chef or sous-chef at Bid, Tabla and Fiamma. He says he did some menu consulting for Mr. Badach and the two just hit it off. That they clearly do.

Anyone been yet? Matt Seeber is a tremendous talent and a huge friend of the site.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have, 'tho only for brunch so far...there are a few reports here.

EDIT by JP: Threads merged.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

• 5 months later...

I don't see many recent posts about Raymond's, but since I ate dinner there twice in the last week, I feel like I'm obligated to report--the food is really very good here! On both occasions, I was hoping to go to other Montclair restaurants, but friends in the mix (each time) really wanted to try Raymond's for dinner, as we tend to go there for breakfast/brunch more often.

First night there, I had the strip steak, which is served with a generous salad of arugula and parmesan. The steak was cooked perfectly, very flavorful, and I had to fight with my 4 year-old niece for the last two slices. Really! Dad had the chicken...picatta, maybe? Can't remember, but it was scallopine'd, and served on a flat plate with a giant salad on top of it; he said it was great, and he can be a rather picky customer. My s-i-l had the whole trout, and I just loved the presentation: a bed of couscous with a row of haricot verts making a 'rack' for the fish, which she scarfed down. For my niece, it was a bowl of their "chicken and dumplings," which are mini-matzo balls. Definitely a decent bowl of soup, but my dad and I were both amazed that it was a beef (or beef-enhanced) broth! All in all, a very tasty meal.

Last night, I was there with two girlfriends prior to going to a movie. We had planned this right--I brought a bottle of wine, bought the movie tix early, and we were in the restaurant by 5:45 or so. Who knew we'd feel the push of the staff to get us the hell out of there?!? They rushed us like crazy last night--and for no apparent reason. It's one thing if customers say "We have to catch a movie, so we need to get out of here by ___," but if they haven't and your staff is reaching for plates that still have food on them without asking, that's just wrong. Our server was basically attentive at the start and he did check back, but in general, we were left to the busboys, who may very well be told not to let anyone sit too long. BUT COME ON, management! One friend had a sandwich, and she hadn't finished even one of the halves, when she was taking a breather. My other friend and I were still eating, when VOILA!, the busgal swooped in and started to take her plate. I glared at the woman and said "Um..." when my friend just said "Oh...okay, just wrap that, please." It wasn't my fight to have, but as you can tell, it really left a negative impression. Meanwhile, the food was terrific again--for me, a blue cheese burger cooked exactly med-rare (as ordered); my friends had the veggie sandwich and the nicoise salad, and both of them were happy with their meals. We shared a pear-cranberry-raspberry crumble with good vanilla ice cream, I had a cup of their fantastic coffee (anyone know what it is?), and we went off to the movies. If I lived in that neighborhood, I'd be there 2-3x a week--but not if the rush continues. Note to management: although many of them may be, not all of your early Sat evening customers is a senior citizen who needs to get in/out in 30 minutes. Don't assume. Just ask, or go by our non-verbal communication, willya? YEESH.

Okay--rant over. GO EAT THERE! But on a Saturday night, if you want to linger, wait until after 7-7:30 for them to kick the movie crowd out! :raz:

And PS, the new wine shop 2 doors down, Amanti Vino, is well worth checking out; I did that earlier in the week. More info here on Baristanet.

I am sooo sorry to hear that you felt rushed last night. We definitely strive for efficient service, but very specifically have told staff never to rush our customers. (I am one of the owners) Rest assured that this will be dealt with immediately- and I do mean that literally- I will be heading back up to the dining room as soon as I finish typing! Again, my apologies, and please say hi next time you're in.

Joanne

In my haste to respond to the negative, I've completely forgotten to respond to the positive! (I'm sure that means something) Curlz, thanks for the kind words about our food, I really appreciate it. As for the coffee, it's Kobrick's. Glad you like it as much as we do!

Joanne

Thanks all around, Joanne!

Curlz

• 4 months later...

Had a great dinner at Raymond's last night. We have been going there since it opened as 28 in the 90's. Like many places they have had their ups and downs. The chef there now is definitely up!

The restaurant was filled with a very nice crowd. Hip twenty-somethings; sophisticated older adults; several families, two with infants; a group of laughing woman; and my wife, Diana and I with our son Pierce. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. The array of patrons truly reflects the restaurant’s universal appeal.

We had four dishes from the specials of the day which included a delicious split pea soup. Just the right consistency and a nice sprinkling of bacon and rosemary that created a nice contrast to the buttery pea puree.

Pierce was delighted to find a favorite, duck confit, on the menu. It was done just right served over a bed of savory greens, beets and walnuts swept with a balanced vinaigrette. For an entrée he had real “comfort food” macaroni and sheese served in an iron skillet.

I had the pepper crusted yellow fin tuna, medium rare, seared about an 1/8” in, the fish was of absolutely top quality, rarely found out side of New York. It was served in an architectural stack that started with coconut risotto cake which was scrumptious, the rice just past firm and sweet with coconut, very unique. On top was a sparkling Asian slaw, again with a perfectly balanced soy vinaigrette.

From the everyday menu, Diana enjoyed the lamb shank which was slow roasted and falling off the bone. It was basted in a bit of tomato. The creamy polenta, broccoli rabe and tomato made it a perfect dish.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog