• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

linen-lined proving baskets

culinary bear

My first attempt with a naturally leavened sourdough bread was a success, but it brought up something of a procedural issue. I rubbed a linen cloth with ample flour, and left the dough to prove in the lined basket for the allotted time. On turning the loaf out on to the baking stone, the dough adhered to the cloth at various points, necessitating something of a delicate operation to remove it.

I used enough flour; the cloth had a lot of free flour left on it when I put the dough in to rise. Do such cloths acquire a non-stickiness with repeated use in the manner of the patina on a black iron skillet? Like pancakes, does the first one always stick?

Answers on a postcard, please...

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Do such cloths acquire a non-stickiness with repeated use in the manner of the patina on a black iron skillet? Like pancakes, does the first one always stick?

That's pretty much it. When I was doing artisan loaves our cloths were so floury they were quite heavy. We used an UNGODLY amount of flour in those things. I used to joke we had more flour in the cloths and on the floor than we did in the bread! We had to have a special cleanup guy come in after our shift was over because it always looked like some guy set off dynamite in our flour bins!

If you think you have too much flour, add more....... :laugh:

Corn meal isn't fine enough to prevent sticky doughs from sticking to fabric. You need something that is fine and will actually embed itself into the cloth. Also, depending on the bread, cornmeal remnants on the crust isn't always desirable.

Cornmeal is great for its "ball-bearing" effect on doughs on hard surfaces.....like rolling loaves or pizza crusts off of a peel for instance. :smile:

You might all be pleased to know that this is the result - my second ever sourdough loaf, and no sticking! :)

gallery_17466_458_165178.jpg

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Can someone advise me on the type of linen used to line the proofing baskets?

I've seen photographs and descriptions in some books that the type of linen used is Belgian linen, and it seems quite thick. The linen that I've seen are thinner.

Thanks.

I've always referred to the linen for proofing baskets (as well as for proofing baguettes and other free form loaves) as French linen but I suppose that Belgian is similar.

It is the unbleached, heavy (almost coarse) linen that works as a natural non stick material for doughs.

There are many forms of linen, many of them falsely named, made with synthetic materials.

Others are much finer and are not meant for doughs. (Think of the difference between raw silk and delicate refined silk.)

These other linens will not act as a non stick substance and in the case of free form loaves (loaves not requiring a basket) will not offer the necessary support when folded between each loaf.

So something like a really heavy linen oven cloth, the herringbone-weave type?

Allan Brown