• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sticky Rice

Yuki

Hector, would you be interested in recipes other than chinese (which has been covered upthread)? There are some Malaysian (mostly nyonya) kuih recipes, savory as well as sweet, which uses glutinous rice.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 2 weeks later...

From the Japan board here (I grew up in HK)

Sticky rice can certainly be steamed. E.g. Steamed Crab with sticky rice, it's a fairly popular dish nowadays in HK. You need to soak the sticky rice with water for at least 4-5 hrs, and when you put the crab on top of the rice to steam it, you don'tneed to add water anymore. The best crab for this are those that has alot of "go", those orange stuff, i don't know what it's called in english. It will melt into the rice. it's SO yummy!!

The best crab for this are those that has alot of "go", those orange stuff, i don't know what it's called in english. It will melt into the rice. it's SO yummy!!

"Go":

Male crabs --> sperm - white/yellowish color

Female crabs --> roe (eggs) - orange color

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 1 month later...
Two of my absolute favorites with sticky rice:

Dim Sum Sticky Rice "Nor My Gai" Recipes:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Sticky Rice with Mango

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en...cup&btnG=Search

In nor my gai AND joong, I was taught to cut the poultry up WITH the bones, a la Chinese style. There is a lot of flavour in the bones. Remember, BBQ duck is cooked with a marinate inside the bird.

I like chomping on bones, but my hubby and kids prefer that I use just the meat. 39 years and I still don't have him trained. :wink::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I like chomping on bones, but my hubby and kids prefer that I use just the meat. 39 years and I still don't have him trained. :wink:  :laugh:

Aw... the meat around the bones has the best flavor, is tender and so fun to eat, they're missing out on the best part!

I like chomping on bones, but my hubby and kids prefer that I use just the meat. 39 years and I still don't have him trained. :wink:  :laugh:

Hmmm.... starting tomorrow, only chicken feet and chicken wings. :raz:

• 4 months later...

I learned the recipe for Chinese sticky rice (Naw Mai Fon) over many years of watching my aunt making it for the holidays. There are many variations to this festive dish.

NB This is in no way to compete with Ah Leung's most excellent Chinese cooking series.

A few special ingredients:

gallery_24802_2083_91811.jpg

dried mushrooms and dried shrimp

They first need to be soaked before use. I used about nine dried mushrooms and about half a bag (quarter of a pound) of dried shrimp. You can add a little more or a little less.

gallery_24802_2083_25499.jpg

Chinese sausage (lop cheung) and Chinese bacon (lop yook)

I used the entire package of each for this recipe.

gallery_24802_2083_100796.jpg

lop cheung, lop yook, dried mushrooms, dried shrimp, celery, and green onions

Each container holds about 2 cups. Dicing all these ingredients took the longest time.

The lop cheung and the lop yook can be quite difficult. You might want to put them in the freezer for a little bit for easier handling.

I found it easier for me to slice and dice the mushrooms one at a time. Again, easier handling.

gallery_24802_2083_35579.jpg

rice

My National rice cooker makes about 8 cups of cooked rice. I used a combination of both long grain rice and short grain rice. I used a ratio of 3 parts long grain to 2 parts short grain. It's the short grain rice that makes things sticky. A 1:1 ratio (long grain to short grain) produces a stickier rice than a 2:1 ratio.

As for how much water to put in, here's a basic ratio:

1 ½ parts water to 1 part long grain

1 part water to 1 part short grain

gallery_24802_2083_84609.jpg

cooking the meat mixture in small batches

I cooked the different ingredients in a pot (See, no wok!). While cooking each batch, I add some soy sauce and a few drops of sesame oil.

gallery_24802_2083_84967.jpg

cooked rice and meat mixture before final mixing

If my rice cooker was larger, I would add the mixture right into the rice pot.

gallery_24802_2083_144703.jpg

Chinese sticky rice (Naw Mai Fon)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

rjwong: That's absolutely stunning! Looks very delish!!! It looks like you use more liu (other ingredients) than rice! :raz::wub:

When I made this, I always use only sticky rice. Maybe a mix of sticky rice and regular jasmine rice is the key to make it "less" sticky! Never thought of that.

I had just bought some decent lap cheung (Chinese sausage) and lap yuk (Chinese preserved pork) from SF Chinatown. You have inspired me that I gotta make this dish soon. I am very chicken to fats. The lap yuk I bought is all lean. I hope it tastes okay. :smile:

Would you use the same mixture to steam in lotus leaves, or is that made from glutinous rice?

I know it is kind of confusing. There are 2 different dim sum dishes in Cantonese cooking that involves lotus leaves and rice.

First is Nor Mai Gai (chicken in sticky rice with lotus leaves). You would typically see this offered in US Chinese dim sum restaurants. The typical ingredients are: a piece of chicken, black mushroom, a slice of lap cheung, dried shrimp, salted egg yolk. They are wrapped with sticky rice inside a lotus leaf and steamed.

Second is Ho Yip Fan (lotus leaf rice). This one, they wrap the regular rice in a lotus leaf with chopped lap cheung, dried shrimp, chopped black mushrooms, chooped green onions, then steamed. I don't think I have seen this dish offered in US based Chinese dim sum places.

There are 2 different dim sum dishes in Cantonese cooking that involves lotus leaves and rice.

First is Nor Mai Gai (chicken in sticky rice with lotus leaves).  You would typically see this offered in US Chinese dim sum restaurants.  The typical ingredients are: a piece of chicken, black mushroom, a slice of lap cheung, dried shrimp, salted egg yolk.  They are wrapped with sticky rice inside a lotus leaf and steamed.

Second is Ho Yip Fan (lotus leaf rice).  This one, they wrap the regular rice in a lotus leaf with chopped lap cheung, dried shrimp, chopped black mushrooms, chooped green onions, then steamed.  I don't think I have seen this dish offered in US based Chinese dim sum places.

I'm pretty sure what I eat here is the first version. Some restaurants add bits of pork as well. It's one of my favorite dim sum dishes. My 9-year-old's, too! Last time we had it, we got an extra dish (2 packets) free because an overly zealous busboy cleared away her plate before she was finished picking the last tidbits off her lotus leaf! She was so visibly dismayed that the manager sent over another order. (We're regulars at that restaurant, so the staff recognizes us.)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

[...] My 9-year-old's, too! Last time we had it, we got an extra dish (2 packets) free because an overly zealous busboy cleared away her plate before she was finished picking the last tidbits off her lotus leaf! She was so visibly dismayed that the manager sent over another order.

This is so hilerious! :biggrin:

It's hard being a waiter in Chinese restaurants. They have to carefully examine the plate, over some torn lotus leaves, to determine whether it's okay to remove the plate. And the last thing that they would do is to ask the customer. :laugh:

rjwong, that looks delicious. I wasn't sure if you could cook it in a rice cooker, since when my mom makes it, she uses the big old rice pot.

When I made this, I always use only sticky rice.  Maybe a mix of sticky rice and regular jasmine rice is the key to make it "less" sticky!  Never thought of that.

Mom finally wrote down her recipe. It's pretty straightforward, but I wanted to get it right. She also uses a regular/sticky rice combo. She says she does it more because she had to stretch the sticky rice out to feed six on a tight budget.
[...] My 9-year-old's, too! Last time we had it, we got an extra dish (2 packets) free because an overly zealous busboy cleared away her plate before she was finished picking the last tidbits off her lotus leaf! She was so visibly dismayed that the manager sent over another order.

This is so hilerious! :biggrin:

It's hard being a waiter in Chinese restaurants. They have to carefully examine the plate, over some torn lotus leaves, to determine whether it's okay to remove the plate. And the last thing that they would do is to ask the customer. :laugh:

I've had overzealous waiters take away my plates at many different types of restaurants. My friend told me a story that his mother stabbed the waiter with her fork because he was trying to take away her salad before she was done eating it! :shock:

My method now is less violent. If I see a waiter approaching, I discretley (?) hold onto my plate so they're not able to take it. It may be rude, but then they won't have a chance to take those last tidbits away.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

rjwong: That's absolutely stunning! Looks very delish!!!  It looks like you use more liu (other ingredients) than rice!  :raz:  :wub:

Lovely looking liu rjwong. :biggrin: I'm glad to see someone else think in the same mode as I. There's no point in taking the time for all the prep. with more rice than liu!

With what rjwong has in his pictorial, you can eat it as is, served in bowls with a light soup on the side, or wrapped in lotus leaf. If you make lots of lotus leaf nor mai gai/fan, you can freeze them and just steam from the frozen state for 20 minutes.

My s-i-l steams the whole mixture rather than cooking the rice and ingredients separately.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for the nudge to this topic, Russell! I made Naw Mai Fon following your recipe -- plus, using Eileen Yin-Fei Lo's as a guide, added some oyster sauce and a bit of chicken stock. Great use of the lop yuk, in particular, which I steamed after dicing. The lop yuk really structures the whole dish. I'd show you photos if there were any left! :smile: Fantastic -- thanks!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I steamed it just briefly, maybe two or three minutes, to make it a bit more tender; when I had fried it directly it cooked up a bit tough. Someone somewhere recommended it, but I can't find it at the moment. It didn't release very much of the fat into the water at all; I didn't want to do that, for precisely the reasons you cite.

Also, the oyster sauce was part of Yin-Fei Lo's recipe, not a replacement for the fat/flavor of the pork.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

A lot of people are using oyster sauce pretty indiscriminately now as a "boost' in flavouring up a dish. The propensity to do so has a lot to do with the recommendations in a lot of the new cookbooks. One would think that with all the "liu" that RJ has put into his rice, oyster sauce would be more of a "mask' instead of enhancement. With the amount of liu depicted, a bit of soy sauce is all that I would need. I want to taste the constituents and not have them overwhelmed by oyster sauce. It is a "rice" dish after all.

Besides the usual lop cheong, lop yook, and mushrooms, my favourite green crunchies are diced yard long beans, or diced jicama, or diced kohlrabi. I also like to top off my bowl of this rice with a few bits of green onions. The best version of this dish is made with dried duck (lop app), as the duck fat is sinfully and unctuously delicious.

The dish would be just as tasty, maybe tastier, when cooked together with the liu on top of the rice . It certainly would be softer to the palate.

We call this rice dish "yau fan", and I normally associate it with the fall around the harvest in China.

Edited by Ben Hong (log)

I too do not use oyster sauce to cook sticky rice. I do not feel it is appropriate for this dish. In Hong Kong, sticky rice is first steamed, then stir-fried with the ingredients (diced lap cheung, dried shrimp, diced black mushrooms, some peanuts and green onions). They season the rice with dark soy sauce. That's the version I have been making. :smile:

Nor Mai Fan (stir-fried sticky rice) is quite different from Nor Mai Gai (steamed sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaves). The former is consumed with the sticky rice retaining a good grainy texture. The latter is consumed with the sticky rice steamed to soften and glued together - almost like a cake.