• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food & Beer Pairings

Susan in FL

I can see the pairing of foie with the White. But would balsamic sauce covered the fresh aroma of the White???

Sounds like from his description that it did not. He did say it was a light sauce.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I went to a beer/food pairing tasting last night.  The beers featured were all from R&B Brewing, a local micro here in Vancouver.  Alison the brewer is just about the nicest person I have ever met, and the most attractive brewer to boot!  All the food was delicious and paired very well.

A good time was had by all.  Big thanks to nwyles for putting it on, and to Alison and Barry from R&B. 

Mark.

Mark-

R&B in Vancouver, Canada??? Or Vancouver, Washington??

sorry.

Vancouver, Canada. http://www.r-and-b.com/

one of the things I've ever tasted was colston basset stilton with 1997 and 1988 jw lees harvest ale. beautiful beers with beautiful cheese.

seared foie with pineapple compote with unibroue edition 2004

aged victory storm king with flourless chocolate cake

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

I can see the pairing of foie with the White. But would balsamic sauce covered the fresh aroma of the White???

Sounds like from his description that it did not. He did say it was a light sauce.

Yes, the sauce was somewhere between light and almost non-existant, and combined with the Allagash White it was etheral. Coincidentally, I mentioned it to one of my beer-iest friends yesterday, and his take on the Allagash White was that it was more a Belgian style than a hefeweizen. And I note from Allagash's web site that they pride themselves on their Belgian-style beers. Still, the beer had enough of a banana-clove thing going on that I'm sticking with the hefeweizen comparison.