• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Design the shirt for the Pig Pickin!

Mayhaw Man

This is your big chance people! Win the fame and admiration of all people everywhere! For all times! All you have to do is read this announcement and get busy with it!

The 2nd Occasional Varmint's Pig Pickin' is coming up on Labor Day Weekend. Cool parties deserve cool t-shirts and we need a design. Here's the deal:

You design a t-shirt using the eGullet Society and Varmint's Pig Pickin as the two main themes. This can be either a one or two-sided shirt, but beyond that there are no other design suggestions. You have thirty days from today to get this together and submitted to our judging committee (Varmint is the committee. Hey. it's his house). At the end of the contest we will have a thread that displays all of the work. This will give us all the chance to second guess and criticize Varmint's choice. Email your designs to dmccord@egullet.org.

Your reward for your fabulous design work will be two tickets to Varmint's Shindig (it is a fundraiser, and tickets won't be cheap), two t-shirts, and bragging rights for a year. eGullet gets the rights to the design.

If it happens that you live in Zanzibar, Pretoria, or Jersey City and you can't make it, well, we'll still give you the 2 shirts, a six pack of spicy Blenheim's Ginger Ale (and we'll mail them to you, too!), and the bragging rights! You can't lose. So get with it.

If you have any questions you can ask them here, but basically it is no more complicated than this. If you can't get a design scanned or you can't email it, just email Varmint and he will give you the particulars. All entries count. Don't let technology or talent interfere with your entry. You never know what kind of choice he will make (and I don't know if he will accept bribes, but I encourage you to give it a shot). Good Luck!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Entries are coming in already. FYI, although we'll accept entries from eGullet Society staff and management, the only prizes they're eligible to win would be bragging rights. In such event, the top-finishing non-staff member would get the tangible prizes.

Oh, some more information, if you choose to incorporate them in the t-shirt (all at your own discretion).

This is the Second pig pickin', but since the last one was in 2003, we can't call it an annual event. That's why we're calling it an "Occasional" event.

The date of the Pig Pickin' is Sunday, September 4, 2005.

The location of the event is Raleigh, NC.

Any questions?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're going to extend the deadline a bit because, frankly, we haven't received a ton of entries. C'mon, folks, let's get to it.

Here are the entries submitted so far:

gallery_137_1349_5692.jpg

gallery_137_1349_14055.jpg

These are two solid entries, but we need some more, y'all. I know there are a lot of creative minds out there, so please help us out here.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We received another entry today.

Here's the front:

gallery_137_1349_12168.jpg

And here's the back (if anyone can fix the translations, the designer would appreciate it!):

gallery_137_1349_9652.jpg

I think you need to include the statement in arabic and hebrew.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have a dandy idea for the Pig Pickin' graphic, but alas, I can't draw. 

If any graphic artists might be willing to share the fame and design the logo with me, PM me and I'll share the details.

Here's my idea, eGulletarians:

A toque-clad pig is driving a Cadillac convertible with a Weber grill perched on the seat next to him. A cartoon balloon announces, "Ah wouldn't miss this!"

For the back, we show the porcine-piloted Caddy from the back. A placard attached to the window declares: "North Cackalacky or Bust!"

Could somebody put this into a graphic? Thanks one-and-all!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Here's the front:

And here's the back (if anyone can fix the translations, the designer would appreciate it!):

Oh my ...thats just not Kosher :biggrin:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Here's the front:

THis gets my vote for cutest piggie. Ahhhh. (The English and French look fine.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Japanese...the automatic translation is clunky

ポークのない世界は私のための世界でない

Pooku no nai sekai wa watashi no tame no sekai denai

How about this version, crafted by the entire family "hive-brain" and even including a pun on "pork"...

Yo no naka - ton nashi nante tonde mo nai!

世の中 ― トンなしなんてとんでもない!

How about this version...even including a pun on "pork"...

Is it off-color?

:biggrin:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The pigs in these wonderful entries are far too sweet, warm and cuddly to even consider cooking and eating* ... only this one is impersonal enough to devour ... :laugh:

*kinda like eating Wilbur in Charlotte's Web    :huh:

Heh, heh -- there will be cute little goats and bunnies on the menu, too, so we could go very sicko and pull something straight from Beatrix Potter!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I have a dandy idea for the Pig Pickin' graphic, but alas, I can't draw. 

If any graphic artists might be willing to share the fame and design the logo with me, PM me and I'll share the details.

Here's my idea, eGulletarians:

A toque-clad pig is driving a Cadillac convertible with a Weber grill perched on the seat next to him. A cartoon balloon announces, "Ah wouldn't miss this!"

For the back, we show the porcine-piloted Caddy from the back. A placard attached to the window declares: "North Cackalacky or Bust!"

I think that's a cute idea, but I can't do graphics, either. Although I can see your pig in the Cadillac. Maybe the car should be pink, and have longhorns attached to the front grill. Like the pig thinks he's gonna be cooking beef! But the joke's on him. heheheh. And of course, he'd be waving some tongs or fork or other BBQ tool.

And on the back view, a pig's tail spiraling out, and the eGullet.org could be on the license plate.

Like your vision; sorry I can't help bring it to life.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The deadline for entries will be this Sunday, June 26th at 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time. We have some solid choices, but we always want more options.

And isn't there anyone who can help poor ol' Fresser with his idea???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I am computer-challenged, but I thought about a field with PIGFLOWERS (c'mon, I know you can see that) and someone with a basket of a couple pigflowers already picked.

Anybody wanting to make a bad ole piggy oughta look up the Ar Kansaw Razorback. He usually doesn't look real friendly. :rolleyes:

The deadline for entries will be this Sunday, June 26th at 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time.  We have some solid choices, but we always want more options. 

And isn't there anyone who can help poor ol' Fresser with his idea???

Thanks for the plug, Varmint.

To reiterate, here's my idea, eGulletarians:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Fresser, folks are thinking about you, but no one's come up with a graphic for you yet. Someone did submit the following in your honor:

gallery_137_1349_3058.jpg

This is what they had to say about your suggestion:

Seeing that you're calling for someone to help Fresser

out with his idea, I figured I'd take a stab at it...

The idea is great, but drawing a pig driving a Caddy,

with a grill and all that -- it's a great idea, but

hard to draw, or hard to design if you will. So I

kinda simplified it.

Someone up to the challenge???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites