• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angostura

Ed Hamilton

Angostura is making another attempt to bring their rums to the US. Best known for Angostura Bitters, the Trinidad-based company is looking to enter a few new markets. The good news is that their white rum is quite good, having been aged and then carbon-filtered for a crisp clean taste that makes a good mojito or even a rum and tonic with a slice of lime.

Angostura is also tring to reintroduce their 1824 rum, which didn't get very good reviews the first time it was introduced but has been getting more attention lately.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I lived in the Caribbean for several years in St Vinent and got plenty of rum tasting experience there. Isnt there a well known dark rum from Trinidad? Cockspur maybe, not sure if that is from Barbados.

The local white rum in St Vincent was called Sunset "Very Strong Rum". I took my nail polish off with it once. After that i stuck to dark rum.

Ok, i just looked the your website, what a great rum resource! I have been looking for Babancourt everywhere and no one ever seems to have it.

Edited by besos_foods (log)

Besos, you're right Cockspur is from Barbados. The most popular dark rum in Trinidad would be Old Oak, though not necessarily the best.

Don't be misled to thinking that dark rums can't be strong, though Sunset Very Strong rum is one of the strongest rums bottled in the Caribbean, a little south of St Vincent you'll encounter Jack Iron, an aged dark rum that is about 80% alcohol, right out of the barrel.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.