• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta: Braves game with kids, where to eat?

A friend of mine is coming into Atlanta and taking in a Braves game on the 24th with 2 kids ...

They are interested in any recommendations for a family friendly dinner with interesting food.

If you have some ideas, please share! Thanks!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Nothing to suggest as they're isn't anything worth pursuing in the area. We eat on our way to Turner Field, so it depends on what route they'll take to get there.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I rather suspected that, therese, but had to run it by the Atlanta eG people to see if I was missing something ...

Captive audience at "the Ted"?

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure you can bring your own food into Turner Field if you'd like, and of course lots of people tailgate in the parking lot (especially the one closest to the stadium). The food quality at Turner Field (what Gifted Gourmet means when she says "the Ted") has varied a lot in the few years it's been open. The most elaborate food that I've had at Turner Field is in the 755 Club, where there's a bar area and typically some sort of buffet dinner service. It's $500/season to join, and some season ticket packages include membership.

The last hotdog I got there was last season: we were in the nice seats in the front where somebody actually comes to your seat and takes your order and then somebody else shows up with it a few minutes later. It was actually not too bad, but I don't know if it's the same sort sold at the vending stands.

The real issue is that there's not much around Turner Field or even downtown, as the only people who generally eat downtown are from out of town, and they are a captive audience that's generally satisfied with not particularly great food.

Harold's BBQ is not that far from Turner Field. I personally think the place is overrated, with the exception of the cracklin' cornbread, but it's better than anything you'll find at the ballpark.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

A friend of mine is coming into Atlanta and taking in a Braves game on the 24th with 2 kids ...

They are interested in any recommendations for a family friendly dinner with interesting food.

If you have some ideas, please share! Thanks!

The most elaborate food that I've had at Turner Field is in the 755 Club, where there's a bar area and typically some sort of buffet dinner service.

Too much of a coincidence. I'll be at the 755 Club as well that night and since my host usually puts on a great spread I was figuring on grazing while watching. Is that a mistake or can I survive? Is the buffet standard for all or host-influenced?

Thanks.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Too much of a coincidence.  I'll be at the 755 Club as well that night and since my host usually puts on a great spread I was figuring on grazing while watching.  Is that a mistake or can I survive?  Is the buffet standard for all or host-influenced?

Thanks.

I've never been to to an "event" at the 755 Club (and by the way, do you know where the 755 Club gets its name?), just to a game and dinner. But they do host all sorts of events, including weddings (and boy, wouldn't that be just a dream wedding?), and catering's generally decent in Atlanta.

The quality of the food will depend on the budget and your host's taste. If you'd like a preview you can view it here. Look towards the back for the nicer stuff.

I've used a number of caterers in Atlanta and they probably could have done better on the food side of things, but Turner Field actually is a very nice stadium. Assuming that you can leave the event and walk around with the hoi polloi I'd encourage you to do so.

The friend, a chef himself, has decided upon the seafood restaurant in that area, Six Feet Under ... a well written, positive opinion by an epinion.com reader here here

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The friend, a chef himself, has decided upon the seafood restaurant in that area, Six Feet Under ... a well written, positive opinion by an epinion.com reader here here

Ask him to please report back. I've not been myself, and so far have heard only bad news re this place from people I know and trust. But that was soon after it had opened, so maybe things have improved.

It's near Agave if things get too bad.

I almost mentioned Six Feet Under but did not know if it would be close enough to Turner Field for them. I ate there once for lunch and it was pleasant enough. The food was good but not spectacular. The service was pleasant. Since I was doing some work at Oakland Cemetery the location was ideal and they have lots of good beers on draft and in bottles. The folks at Oakland Cemetery--at least the live ones--swear by the place and recommend it. If they are a bit adventurous they could spend some time at Oakland and then go across the street for dinner before heading to the stadium.

There is also a Jamaican barbecue place near there that I have heard is pretty good but I can not for the life of me remember the name.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Just a followup to my asking about the 755 Club.  The shrimp was good, beef passable but the rest of the buffet was pretty substandard.  Nice view though.

You had great weather, at least. We ate outside on the deck. I could tell you what I served, but it would just depress you. :wink:

Atlanta's got some great food, there's just not much of it downtown because there aren't many Atlantans there.