• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Business Luncheon Locations?

Ms. Meliss

Can anyone suggest restaurants that might be good locations for a weekly business luncheon? I prefer that the location has a private room that will accommodate approximately 20 people or so. Also should be fairly casual, price ranging from $10-$15 or less, have decent parking, and central location in town (trying to avoid having to go as far as Kahala or Mapunapuna, etc. but those areas are not totally out of the question).

Thanks!

Decent parking kind of rules out downtown or Waikiki for that matter. A number of the Korean restaurants, notably Sorabol and Shillawon are set up with private rooms for business lunches at about the price range you're mentioning. Maple Garden in Moili`ili is a popular place for the UH crowd and has a private room, though this might need to be booked well in advance. I think (?) Gyotaku has a private room. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Can anyone suggest restaurants that might be good locations for a weekly business luncheon? I prefer that the location has a private room that will accommodate approximately 20 people or so. Also should be fairly casual, price ranging from $10-$15 or less, have decent parking, and central location in town (trying to avoid having to go as far as Kahala or Mapunapuna, etc. but those areas are not totally out of the question).

Thanks!

This is a great question and it should develop into a great thread!

These are some of the venues chosen of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii. These include New Empress Restaurant (private room and a parking garage in the Chinatown Cultural Plaza), Buffet 100 (private room and a parking garage in Ward Warehouse, and Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch and Crab (private room and valet parking on Nimitz Highway), and the aforementioned Maple Garden in Moiliili with a private room and parking lot.

Little Village has a parking lot and is next door to a municipal parking lot, and a VIP dining room that should fit 20 people.

Then we have the semi-private rooms and parking lots at Kirin in Moiliili, and Fook Yuen in McCully.

Costlier restaurants would include Royal Garden at the Ala Moana Hotel and Won Kee

at the Chinatown Cultural Plaza

Thank you for your great suggestions. I will certianly look into some of these locations. It's proving to be more difficult than I thought. Interesting that most of the aforementioned locations with private or semi-private rooms are Chinese. I am open to this but am afraid the rest of the group may not be. Something along the lines of Sam Choy's BL&C menu might be more agreeable for some. I am not familiar with Buffet 100 but will look it up.

If anyone else has any additional suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Thank you for your great suggestions. I will certianly look into some of these locations. It's proving to be more difficult than I thought. Interesting that most of the aforementioned locations with private or semi-private rooms are Chinese. I am open to this but am afraid the rest of the group may not be. Something along the lines of Sam Choy's BL&C menu might be more agreeable for some. I am not familiar with Buffet 100 but will look it up.

If anyone else has any additional suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.  :biggrin:

Are any of your group employees of Bank of Hawaii or First Hawaiian Bank? Both banks have meeting rooms where lunch and dinner can be served (believe that you have to be in management to qualify). You can also try the Plaza Club in Pioneer Plaza.

Thanks!

I know that Ms. Meliss says that she found something, but until that site is confirmed I wanted to forward a suggestion that was sent to me.

"Aloha Tony and Fellow Foodies:

For your information, KCC's Ka'ikena Restaurant at Diamond Head caters to

group luncheons from small groups with a private room to a banquet up to

100+ during school semesters. Chef Kusuma Cooray, previously exectuve chef

of the Willows and Doris Duke's personal chef is teaching that class with a

continental cuisine menu. Prices average from $16 to $25. You can

negotiate a special menu with them. The phone number for reservation is

734-9499.

They also cater to small group meetings and retreats on weekends, evening

functions, and when school is out. Their evening fare is Asian-Pacific

cuisine.

Aloha,