• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouvers oldest restaurants (merged)

Phnom Phen? Sorry the spelling might be off. Man the Chinatown one was there since I remember!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The Water Street Cafe (I think), The Naam, The Amorous Oyster, The Best Neighbours, Cafe Madeleine (if it's still open), Dalilah's (I think).

Amorous Oyster and Cafe Madeleine are gone.

Topanga Cafe, Simpatico, William Tell (not at the same location though), Cafe de Paris, The Cannery, La Bodega?, Las Margaritas probably, Vineyard, Bishop's. Do chains and franchises fit into your notion of restaurants? Lots of those must be hitting or surpassing the 20 year mark - The Keg for sure is well past 20, Hy's.

Lots more, but I don't have time right now.

Cheers,

Anne

Le Gavroche, Hermitage, and an obvious one, the Prow in the Pan Pacific, Earl's Tin Palace (the flagship in North Van), Red Robin (Sooooomany bad bad memories), The Keg, The Old Surrey Inn, Harte house has definitely been around for more than 20 years. My grandparents used to take me there when I was a kid. Porto Fino in Delta (it may be closed now, those restaurants on Scott Road are now a moving target) I know there are many more, but I've only had 1/2 of my coffee this morning.

and an obvious one, the Prow in the Pan Pacific,

The Prow was actually at the tip of the pier, unaffiliated with the Pan Pacific Hotel. It closed Dec. 23, 1998.

And it costed a fortune to validate all that parking at Canada Place!

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

and an obvious one, the Prow in the Pan Pacific,

The Prow was actually at the tip of the pier, unaffiliated with the Pan Pacific Hotel. It closed Dec. 23, 1998.

And it costed a fortune to validate all that parking at Canada Place!

The leaseholder, a Mr. Joe Segal, came out of it rather well. His lease was bought out by the Crown Corporation when it lengthened the cruise ship parking arrangement.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

i'm trying to make a list of restaurants that have been open for at least 20 years (fine dining or not). can anyone lend a hand? it's a short list so far.

I am pretty sure that most of these places have been around for the past 20 years…some, even longer.

Café de Paris, The Chef and the Carpenter, The Eatery, Nemoto Café, Sunshine Diner (though it’s moved locations in the last year), Woodlands, Alexi Greek Taverna, Pineway Restaurant, Sala Thai, Café Procopé (not sure if they are still around though), Las Margaritas, Topanga, Simpatico, Kitsilano Café (again, moved locations in the recent past), Shijo, Chiantis, The Red Onion, The Cheshire Cheese Inn

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 4 years later...

I'm bumping this thread up a bit. I wonder if there are some Chinatown restaurants that go back a ways. Even Hon's has been around for over 35 years now.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato