• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining help in Greensboro NC

Soup

I will be in Greensboro NC for a week starting May 22. I would appreciate any suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will be near the convention center.

I love BBQ (vineger or tomato based), soul food, and southern food. Also asian, indian, carribean type places would be appreciated.

Soup

I will be in Greensboro NC for a week starting May 22.  I would appreciate any suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I will be near the convention center. 

I love BBQ (vineger or tomato based), soul food, and southern food.  Also asian, indian, carribean type places would be appreciated.

Soup

One option - Stamey's

http://www.hollyeats.com/Stameys.htm

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/jnt5.htm

Heh...another review, they don't like it:

http://www.ibiblio.org/ch-scene/bbq/stameys.html

Edited by Random Alias (log)

I will be in Greensboro NC for a week starting May 22.  I would appreciate any suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I will be near the convention center. 

I love BBQ (vineger or tomato based), soul food, and southern food.  Also asian, indian, carribean type places would be appreciated.

Soup

Saigon is one of the better Vietnamese restaurants in North Carolina. It's about a 15 minute drive from the convention center but worth a visit.

This thread has some advice for you.

Stamey's is the best-known BBQ in the Greensboro area. It's not the best in the state, but it's pretty damn good anyway.

Greensboro just does not have any great BBQ places, but as mentioned Stamey's is very good. They cook on wood and it is near you on High Point Road.

For Asian, Saigon also on High Point Rd is a good choice. For cheaper options I enjoy Binh Minh 5211 West Market and Pho Hien Vuong 4109 Spring Garden. Taste of Thai is good Thai if you in that mood.

Saffron which is next to Taste of Thai at 1500 Mill St. is hand down the best Indian in town and is really good Indian period.

For breakfast there are diners that are somewhat similar, near you I would recommend Herbies at Highpoint Rd and Holden. For a drive through pickup Biscutville is the place, it has a very loyal following and is a local chain.

For brunchy breakfast I like Southern Lights Cafe Europa and Green Valley Grille, pretty good dinner too.

My favorite two nice spots for dinner right now are 1618 West Seafood Grill and the Undercurrent.

You may also want to go Downtown for a drink and dinner many of the spots I recommend are around there.

The only carribean place I know is Montego Bay on West Market. Its kind of a Jerk cuban island thing.

Let me know if you have any specific requests and I will answer.

Nate

Soup

Saigon is one of the better Vietnamese restaurants in North Carolina. It's about a 15 minute drive from the convention center but worth a visit.

If its the Koury convention center on High Point Rd. you are about a three minute drive. Get the whole flounder, it rocks.

Nate

Nate,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try stamey's if nothing else base on recommendations from various folks. Any southern or soul food type places you can recommend.

Soup

Nate,

Thanks for the info.  I will definitely try stamey's if nothing else base on recommendations from various folks.  Any southern or soul food type places you can recommend. 

Soup

Try Alpat, 1611 East Bessemer Avenue. They have been around for years and can be really good to good. A meat and three kind of place. I have been there as a child and adult and I do go back.

Nate

Edited by nhconner (log)

definitley try saigon it is only about a mile or so from the convention center. you may also try my other gso fav - Giacomo's. not the horse but the italian deli. they make their own meats and are about 1/2 mile from Saigon. try the pastrami or the hot housemade capicola. they have cheeses and cannoli and palmiers.

For banh mi try pakse (a hole in the wall @ Freeman mill and Florida) - Take high point rd to right on Florida.

Pho Hien Vong(no atmosphere but their pho is good)has been growing on me lately though i am not a fan of Binh Minh(inconsistent quality)

their is also a Korean place across from Binh Minh on Market

Moto I have to agree about the consistany at Binh Minh. I generaly go there for certain lunch specials for $5 and for that is does not dissapoint. Dinner has been hit and miss. While I agree that pakse is good, it is in a rather dangerous part of town at night if you are not confident. I dont say this becuase I dont like it, but there are some serious criminals that frequent this shopping center. My wife was public defender for Guilford County, enough said. Just a warning.

Giacomo's, yes yes yes, I cant believe I left this out. This place is the bomb, better than most of the spots Ive been in Brooklyn. Got to go there.

Nate

Edited by nhconner (log)

While the location of Pakse is admittedly borderline, they close early (6:30) and I have never had any trouble in the 5-6 years I have gone. Plus it is not a long walk from the parking lot to the door.

While the location of Pakse is admittedly borderline,  they close early (6:30)  and I have never had any trouble in the 5-6 years I have gone. Plus it is not a long walk from the parking lot to the door.

Very true, I just wanted to make the comment considering this was somone from out of town. I did not know about the hours though, I only have gone for lunch and take out after work.