• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special restaurant for 30th Birthday

Hi I'm new to the site and hope you can offer some help..

I'm trying to choose a fantastic and memorable restaurant for my 30th Birthday in July :sad:  !

My thoughts are Gordon Ramsey at RHR (great if he is actually there on the night!), Locanda Locatelli or Babylon.  I'm open to any other suggestions and would welcome your views.

Thanks in advance !

How about Pierre Gagnaire's "Sketch" in Conduit Street if it's open by then (should be in theory)? As long as you have £125.00 per head for food of course! Not sure about Babylon, it got very negative reviews and doesn't sound special enough for a 30th to me, but I have never eaten there, any one who has?

The usual suspects include Petrus and Foliage, but what about Lola's which got a 3 star review from Fay Maschler last week?

I realize it's hardly an original suggestion but if you want "fantastic and memorable" then I think you're hard pushed to beat Le Gavroche.

I've been lucky enough to have eaten there 3 times and no other restaurant in London in my experience makes you feel so cossetted and special. On each occasion I have come out feeling elated and I've already chosen it for my 20th wedding anniversary next year (I might even ask my wife along if she plays her cards right).

Yeah its bloody expensive but probably not much more so than the others you mentioned and it has the advantage over GR in that you can eat when YOU want and not when you're told-they make you feel your custom is a privelige,not that you're lucky to have been allowed to eat there.

:smile:

I must admit that I have not eaten at either of these places (yet), but I understand that the food at The Capital is excellent .Click here.Capital Hotel

The other recommendation is The Square, where the food is supposed to be "progressive modern fench", whatever that is. My sister-in-law( god bless her little cotton socks ) said she ate one of the best meals she has ever had there.

Out of town - I have dined at Hambleton Hall twice and very miuch recommend the whole experience. The food under the direction of Aaron Patterson is outstandingly good. Clear precise flavours throughout each of the courses. Favourite dishes have included a Nage of Seafood , and the missus had a dish of quite exquiste veal adorned with thinly sliced truffles.The staff are superb as well and helped to orchestrate a suprise for my missus ,who knew we were lunching there, but not that we were staying and dining there that evening as well.

Again, out of town The Waterside Inn, Bray, Berks. The food here is consistently good, albeit expensive. If you go, try the signature dish of Lobster in a ginger and port sauce. Apparently , they keep the poor little blighters in a specially designed tank and only despatch them once the dish has been ordered. The result -astonishingly sweet and tender flesh.

I would sell the missus to eat this dish again. £50 anyone?

:biggrin:

I would Andy, but its the oddest thing. Every photograph we have ever had taken together, once developed, only shows my image and not hers.

She doesn't even cast reflection in the mirror... Go figure ?

Oh dear. I appear to be turning in to Les Dawson.

Just another plug for south of the river but Chez Bruce is always good if you have a few in your party. They have a private room that is very reasonable and Bruce Poole has his stars for a reason. Great food but at prices which will not use all of your bonus at once.

While I agree that Le Gavroche is really special, I think that for a 30th birthday in July you would be hard pushed to better the Waterside Inn.  You will be made to feel really special, food and service are really superb,and you should consider staying the night - they have lovely rooms and you have a delicious continental breakfast served in your room in the morning.  Not cheap, but worth every bit of the money.

If I could have my 30th again, that's where I'd go!

Snipster,

I fully concur with the Countess, The Waterside Inn would be a truly memorable experience. Not that I have yet been to Le Gavroche( he writes pittifully hoping his better half will read this ) but I imagine the service and indeed, food there would be on a par with that at The Waterside Inn. However, the advantage of the The Waterside Inn is the stunning setting, by the Thames. Imagine, sipping a  glass of chilled champagne, sat nestling  under their willow tree , watching the world go by on the river as you peruse the menu. Then enjoying their remarkable food ,wine and service. ( See earlier entry re: their signature Lobster dish).

Again fully agree that a nights stay would be in order, it is your 30th afterall. I would recommend La Tamise, which shares a private balcony( with La Terrasse ( I think) overlooking the Thames.

Have look at their website click here, for their special offers, which may appeal.

Bapi

PS - If you do go, be sure to talk to the Manager there, Diego Masciaga(sic!!). He is without a doubt one of the most professional chaps I think I have ever met. Nothing is too much trouble for him ( and the other staff for that matter)