• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant recommendations for White Plains?

bcsuka

Looking for a few suggestions for a business dinner in the immediate White Plains area. Doesn't have to be overly fancy, just good solid food and service.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

You should go to Trotters. 175 Main Street. 914-421-5012. It is fancy, but the food is very good.

I've heard good things about Tango Grill, but I didn't order right when I went there.

There's a thread here on Blue. Mixed opinons.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Ditto Trotters.  Also, if you're into sushi, try Seasons Japanese Bistro. Some of the best sushi I've had in this area.

Is that in WP or Mamaroneck? I thought I'd heard of a new sushi place in M'neck but I can't remember.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

My thanks to all for the feedback.

Liz, thanks for the link on Tango Grill -- it looks interesting. You mention that you didn't order correctly when you were there. May I ask details (what you ordered, the problems with it)?

Also, curious about more info on Trotters -- what cuisine, etc. Assuming that it has nothing to do with the erstwhile Charlie Trotter??

If you're in the mood for some real "Momma" style Italion tratoria, you can't beat La Mandas (on Mamaroneck Ave). I'll stick to my claim that they have THE best pizza pie in NY, and an unbeatable Chicken Scarapielo to boot.

Edited by Sethro (log)

My thanks to all for the feedback.

Liz, thanks for the link on Tango Grill -- it looks interesting.  You mention that you didn't order correctly when you were there.  May I ask details (what you ordered, the problems with it)?

Also, curious about more info on Trotters -- what cuisine, etc.  Assuming that it has nothing to do with the erstwhile Charlie Trotter??

I can't remember exactly about Tango Grill. I wasn't working (for once) so I didn't take notes. I think I had a pasta and it wasn't as good as my husband's steak. The best dish at our table was a chicken piccata-type dish... breaded chicken pounded and pan fried — something I never, ever order. But it was delicious. There's a fancy flambeed dessert there but I don't remember it being special. I guess my advice would be to stick with old fashioned classics instead of modern-sounding dishes.

Trotters is named for the owner's interest in horse racing. It's hard to describe the food there except to say that it's very well thought out and executed. It just works. There's some Portuguese and Italian influence on the menu, but saying that doesn't do the food justice. I highly recommend the pork dish. I think it's served with chorizo and cockles.

Here's a link to my paper's review.

They also have an ambitious wine program, and they offer a cool deal where you they group four wines by the glass for a set price and you can have unlimited amounts of any of the four, ie: one glass filled twice and three other glasses; one glass of each; two glasses of two... whatever.

If you're in the mood for some real "Momma" style Italion tratoria, you can't beat La Mandas (on Mamaroneck Ave). I'll stick to my claim that they have THE best pizza pie in NY, and an unbeatable Chicken Scarapielo to boot.

I like this place for the nostalgia. It's been open since the '40s.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

/\ Yeah well I can't let a White Plains thread go buy with out mentioning it. :biggrin:

You ever had their cheesecake? It's burnt on top, dry in the middle, wet on the bottom, and completely mis-shapen. Yet somehow...its the best cheesecake ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Best restaurants in downtown White Plains are definately Seasons and Trotters. Mulinos is ok, but I was underwhelmed. Morton's Steakhouse is a good choice for a business dinner, although I am not really a huge fan of the ol' Mort's. Trotters can be classy and trendy, but also noisy. Seasons really is the most incredible sushi I've ever had, including several places in Manhattan and all around the greater NYC Metro. I can't really speak highly enough about it.

-James Kessler