• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paloma - "Mexican haute cuisine"

Diann

Has anyone heard of this place in Northeast Philadelphia? It is "Mexican/French haute cuisine." Apparently it got a 29 from Zagat for food, so friends of mine who are in town this weekend want to try it. I figured I should turn to trusty Egulleteers for opinions before we went. Thanks!

Diann

The DDC had a dinner there some time ago which was fabulous. Mexican food with a french twist. Wonderful food and great service. While I haven't been back since, the quality should be the same. Highly recommended.

I was at the DDC dinner, too, and concur in gbredben's opinion. The highlight of the meal to me was the lamb shank tapatio. On the regular menu I believe it's done with a more expensive cut of lamb, but I found the shanks delectable.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Paloma is one of the great secret gems of Philly restaurants, and it doesnt get its due. Positively exciting fusions of Mexiacn tradition and French technique. And I find it very romantic.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Good to hear all the positive feedback. It's times like this when I wish LaBan, Sono Motoyama, Lauren McCutcheon and company DIDN'T review the same restaurants all at once, because then I would have heard about Paloma. On the other hand, I think reviews are more trustworthy when everyone has good things to say about a place (ex. Marigold, Pumpkin, Matyson, etc.)

Anyways, thanks! I will report back after our visit this weekend.

Good to hear all the positive feedback. It's times like this when I wish LaBan, Sono Motoyama, Lauren McCutcheon and company DIDN'T review the same restaurants all at once, because then I would have heard about Paloma. On the other hand, I think reviews are more trustworthy when everyone has good things to say about a place (ex. Marigold, Pumpkin, Matyson, etc.)

Anyways, thanks! I will report back after our visit this weekend.

Diann, I wish I had a palate like yours when I was in college. You would cringe at the things I ate and liked. :shock:

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Diann, I wish I had a palate like yours when I was in college.  You would cringe at the things I ate and liked.  :shock:

Evan

Never fear, Evan -- perhaps I shouldn't admit this on egullet, but I do have a fondness for ramen :raz:

Anyways, I didn't make it to Paloma, but my guests did and loved it. I went to Samba instead -- it is so good, and at $22.95, it's also a steal. We were the only guests there Sunday night, so I sure hope they're doing good business the rest of the week, because I want them to stay open. Too bad I can't eat rodizio every week...

I also love and worry about Samba. Have had several dinners on weekend nights when it was almost empty, or maybe a table or two of people and some at the bar. I know the nightclub does good business pretty late, like after 11:30, but I always fear that they'll give up on the restaurant entirely and just make it a dance club.

This says more about my friends and family, perhaps, than about Samba, but it is unanimously the place that they want to go when they come to Philly from Tennessee and Hawaii, where they live. They love Marigold and the various Italian places and Capogiro and the Reading Market, but Samba is something that they have no equivalent to, and it's just a warm, fun experience.

Diann, I wish I had a palate like yours when I was in college.  You would cringe at the things I ate and liked.   :shock:

Evan

Never fear, Evan -- perhaps I shouldn't admit this on egullet, but I do have a fondness for ramen :raz:

Anyways, I didn't make it to Paloma, but my guests did and loved it. I went to Samba instead -- it is so good, and at $22.95, it's also a steal. We were the only guests there Sunday night, so I sure hope they're doing good business the rest of the week, because I want them to stay open. Too bad I can't eat rodizio every week...

• 4 years later...

You heard it here first folks. According to Michael Klein at the Inky, the much lamented Paloma will be making a comeback in South Philly sometime in June.

Woo-hoo!! Congrats to Adan and Barbara! We'll be eagerly awaiting the reopening in the old Mezza Luna space. I couldn't be happier. This is right in my 'hood... :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks, Katie!

We've wanted to get off the rapidly declining Castor Avenue for a long long time. We closed Paloma around Labor Day so we could devote our full efforts to caring for my mom during her final illness. She passed away at the end of September and we've been busy with closing out her apartment and trying to settle her estate. Adan has been doing private parties during the hiatus. Now it's time to get back to doing what we love. I'm getting my sorbet machines tuned up so they'll be ready to go.

We've put our liquor license into safekeeping for now and will run initially as a BYOB. Dinner first, then later we'll add brunch and lunch. We're shooting for an early June opening, maybe sooner. I'm working on a new website already.

BTW, we're shopping for kitchen equipment and furniture, so if you know anybody who's selling, have them get in touch! My email is barb AT cohan DOT com.

It'll be great to see you. I've missed you guys!

Barb

Edited by bjcohan (log)

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

Girlfriend, we have missed you too! And your hubby's cooking! It's a good move down here where there's a much more appreciative audience for your talents.

Let me know when you're ready to shine up that liquor license. I'd be happy to help with a cocktail and wine list if you need it...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update. If the licensing folks are cooperative, Paloma should reopen in about two weeks.

Hiring has commenced, so if you know any good cooks/servers, pass the word!

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

I feel like a six year old on a car ride. "Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?" Looking forward to that inaugural visit. Best of luck with the preparations!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Katie! We're almost there!

Paloma will open on Thursday, July 15.

Dinner only, Tu/Wed/Thu/Sun 5-10, Fri/Sat 5-11, closed Mondays. We're BYOB for now, but will probably haul our liquor license out of safekeeping some time around Labor Day or so.

You can't miss us - look for the tiny little sign (@#$% sign company screwed it up and is working on getting us one that is the right size...)

OpenTable won't be up and running until next week, and neither will our website. (Don't ask...) At least we have our FB page - www.facebook.com/palomarestaurant. In the meantime, we're doing reservations the old fashioned way.

763 South 8th Street, corner of 8th and Fulton.

215-928-9500

See ya there!

Barb

Edited by bjcohan (log)

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Stopped by Paloma tonight to say hello to Barbara and Adan and wish them well. Ended up having a wee bite at the bar:

I got there late enough that they were sold out of the Cesar Salad, so I had the mixed greens instead.

med_gallery_7409_476_9641.jpg

And I also had this lovely crab, avocado and tomato appetizer.

med_gallery_7409_476_87806.jpg

Everything was delicious! The interior of the restaurant looks beautiful and Barbara was her usual bubbly and gracious self. Great to see them get off to such a great start. I'm looking forward to dining there with an out of town friend and her parents next weekend.

Thanks Barbara and Adan! Everything is wonderful and I wish you both the best of luck with crotchety POS systems, incorrigible clientele and all of the fun and games that owning a restaurant brings. :smile:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!