• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magazines

I did look at Wasabi in the store a bit back, I can't remember what was in it now :hmmm: but I didn't buy it. I buy magazines every month, especially when I see a new one and I really can't remember what I didn't like about it....

I guess I will have to go back to the bookstore :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

FYI, Kateigaho now has a regular food/recipe section in their magazines, starting with the 2005 Autumn issue. It's still a beatifully done magazine, and most certainly one of the best I've seen in terms of inspirational photography. I'm happy to see that it has not changed must since it first came out.

They also do international subscriptions...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this was mentioned previously, but I just received all (the back issues of Kateigaho that I didn't already have. In one of the issues, there's an article by e-Gullet member eatingwithEddie. I forgot to bring it home, so I can't remember much about it. Did anyone else read it?

I don't know if this was mentioned previously, but I just received all (the back issues of Kateigaho that I didn't already have.  In one of the issues, there's an article by e-Gullet member eatingwithEddie.  I forgot to bring it home, so I can't remember much about it.  Did anyone else read it?

There isn't any place close to me that sells Kateigaho International, I do have two copies and while they are beautiful there wasn't much I was interested in reading. :hmmm: I am interested in seeing the newer issues with the food/recipe section.

When you know which issie Eddie's article in is let me know!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The article, entitled "Sampling the Izakaya Scene", is in the Summer 2004 issue.

The new food/recipe section is pretty small, so I don't know that it's worth buying the magazine just for that. I love the photographs, though, and that's really the reason I bought all the issues. That and the arts and crafts section--they often focus on Kyoto, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump away, so I can actually visit a lot of the stores and temples they showcase.

Are there any Japanese food magazines (or cookbooks) that would include furigana, maybe those targeted for kids? I really can't read any kanji yet but I like to practice reading where I can, and I think that would be fun.

Jennie

Are there any Japanese food magazines (or cookbooks) that would include furigana, maybe those targeted for kids?  I really can't read any kanji yet but I like to practice reading where I can, and I think that would be fun.

My lemon souffle cheesecake recipe was from a cookbook for junior high school students. I think it had furigana in it, so there must be more out there. You could check out amazon.co.jp, but you'd need kanji to navigate the site (the shop in English link doesn't really let you shop in English).

• 2 years later...

The January 2008 issue of Dancyu (the issue on sale now) has a special feature on Tsukiji. I thumbed through it and yawned, put it down....picked it up again, looked some more, and had to buy it.

There are lots of simple-but-good mini-recipes in there. Four ways with maguro zuke...

Also enough "hot" fish dishes to interest me, even though I have several fish cookbooks already.

There is also a big map of Tsukiji, and even a few bits in English on how to behave like a nice boy or girl when visiting Tsukiji.

I've never bought a magazine in Japan but when I do tachiyomi I always look at the "slow-life" magazines. A lot of them have good recipes but among ku:nel, Lingkaran, tennen seikatsu, come home!, jikyuujisoku, ukatama, haru_mi, and kyounoryouri I like ku:nel best. What a great title "eat:sleep". It seems like every magazine has a cooking or recipe section. I take a lot of ideas from things I see in magazines.

is this the one you are talking about helen?

this series is also really cool. they focus on one ingredient per issue.

I've never bought a magazine in Japan but when I do tachiyomi I always look at the "slow-life" magazines. A lot of them have good recipes but among ku:nel, Lingkaran, tennen seikatsu, come home!, jikyuujisoku, ukatama, haru_mi, and kyounoryouri I like ku:nel best. What a great title "eat:sleep". It seems like every magazine has a cooking or recipe section. I take a lot of ideas from things I see in magazines.

Wow, I'm amazed that you've never bought a magazine in Japan. I can't seem to escape from a bookstore without buying a magazine or a cookbook!! Getting all of them back home will be a challenge. I also really enjoy the "slow-life" magazines, with ukatama being my favorite. The most recent issue is featuring beans and there are a lot of nice recipes with pictures of an idyllic life in the countryside somewhere!

ukatama homepage

• 4 months later...

The June issue of the Japanese magazine "Cafe & Restaurant" which comes out on May 20 will have a very timely feature on sugarless cold drinks.

P.S. I see a recent issue of Ukatama has a feature on "hometown" country-style sushi.

What I like about these is that they are often vegetable sushi (and as colorful as Korean dishes sometimes!).