• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magazines

Did they use Steve's Americanstan Sushi article?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Did they use Steve's Americanstan Sushi article?

not in the July issue.

I just ordered all of the back issues (7 of them) today, so I will check.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

8 issues and I've never even heard of it?

I suppose I'll have to venture into an actual bookstore to find it- doubt it will be showing up at the magazine rack of my local supa!

I think that is why I never noticed it either. Money has been really tight so I avoid the tempation of going to the bookstores, rather I end up picking up the cheapo cooking mag from the supermarket and get it home only to be very disappointed.

I find Tanto to be decent, but am falling out of love with Kyo no Ryori.

One of my other favorite cooking mag/book is called ƒJƒ“ƒ^ƒ“‰Æ‚²‚Í‚ñ@(kantan uchi gohan) by Gakken Hit Mook, they are on Vol.4 and come out with each season. It is a collection of big names:

Kentaro

Yamamoto Reiko

Kobayashi Kasuyo

Maron

Shioda Noa

Fujino Makiko (I would buy this just for her desserts, I love this woman!)

This is all food nothing else! all for 680 yen!

I have a rule about the cheapo cooking mags- I won't buy one unless I have flipped through the whole thing (and I love how you're allowed to do that in Japan!) and found at least two recipes that actually look good. And it usually turns out that, even after going through the whole magazine again a few times at home, those were the only two good recipes.

I learned how to cook Japanese with Kyo No Ryouri, and I really improved my Japanese reading (at least my food Japanese) by watching the TV show and reading the mag at the same time. So I still like it and always will, if only out of gratefulness.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Welcome, Suzie.

There's no trick. I went back and tried the link and it worked. Try again.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Welcome, Suzie.

There's no trick. I went back and tried the link and it worked. Try again.

Thanks for the welcome! I did try the link again, and this time it worked. Yesterday I tried it about 5 different times and it never worked. Computers! (I don't read Japanese -- I just wanted to see the pictures. :smile: )

SusieQ

Seattle

It doesn't seem to be a direct translation as most of it is Japan specific, but there does seem to be some part that are pulled from other Elle magazines, the currrent issue for example has a section on wedding cakes that was translated from a German edition.

I am really loving this magazine and can't wait to try the recipes.

I am also eagerly awaiting the arrival of all the back numbers! :biggrin:

SusieQ

Welcome to egullet!

Hope to hear more from you!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found it, and a very pretty magazine it is! I will use some of the recipes for sure, and the guide to 'ethnic' shops will be useful.

Just a few gripes- as is typical with Japanese magazines, the line between editorial and advertisement is very very thin. There are several ads that look exactly like editorials- the same typeface, same beautiful layout, cut-out recipe cards, even credits given for photographers and stylists. But on close inspection they turn out to be paid ads.

Also, the use of the English word 'ethnic', as in 'ethnic ryouri' is a huge pet peeve of mine! In Japan it means spicy food, especially spicy Asian food. I suppose it's slightly better than the term it seems to be replacing- 'Asian ryouri' (which is used to describe spicy South East Asian food, but is ridiculous considering Japan IS an Asain country). Still, something about the word just rubs me the wrong way- maybe because where I come from, Japanese food is every bit as 'ethnic' as Indian?

I expected the magazine to be a little bit, I don't know, less Japanese? But other than a few minor complaints, it's a great magazine and I can't wait for the next one.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 3 months later...

Kateigaho a very popular "woman's" magazine has come out with an International Edition (in English ) that will cover arts and culture in Japan.

The first issue which went on sale today (10/1) has a gourmet section which discusses sushi, including a list of 25 exclusive sushi restaurants.

Here is the website:

http://www.kateigaho.com/int/

It's a nice website. The sushi articles are online.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Today April 1st saw the sale of a new magazine from the people at Kateigahou, a very popular lifestyle/home/fashion/etc magazine. The new magazine is called Delicious and will come out 4 times a year, at 1300yen (about $12) it is twice the price of most food magazines here.

It is gorgeous though and it does have some really good sections especially one on gyoza, with varieties such as watercress and beef, ground chicken and fava beans, tofu and cilantro and broccoli rabe with shrimp and scallops. There is also a 3 month calender with ideas for miso soups for every day. And of course the whole magazine is focused on the wonderful spring vegetables...... :biggrin:

the homepage:

http://www.delicious.ne.jp/

I am still loving this magazine eventhough the last 2 issues weren't as exciting as the first couple were. Then today I picked up the new May 2004 issue and was blown away, this is their best issue to date, the pictures and recipes caused me to leave drool marks on every page.....

I was just thinking about Japanese cooking mags...

Not so fond of E. a table (just because it's so in step with trends elsewhere in the world, not because it isn't a good food mag), but love the photos!

I learned to cook from Kyou no Ryouri too, but I guess that after a few years, when you're ready to move on from the basics, K no R is still rolling them out for a new generation of cooks!

A lot of my favorites have come from stick-in-the-mud Eiyou to Ryouri and gourmet men's mag Dancyu Dancyu site - check recipe index at left!. (E to R site is not really helpful, Dancyu site contains a recipe index, a Good Thing, because the magazine itself only has a couple of recipes per issue. They are usually good, sometimes over the top, but the mag is mainly for reading).

Another surprise is the tiny recipes in the newspaper. I don't know where the journalists dig them up from, I think they just ask the tobacconist's wife on their way to work the morning the copy is due, but every now and then there is some little everyday gem like a quick pickle recipe.

We have had a couple threads on specific cooking magazines, but never discussed all of the variety that is out there.

In a different thread Helenjp said:

Not so fond of E. a table (just because it's so in step with trends elsewhere in the world, not because it isn't a good food mag), but love the photos!

I learned to cook from Kyou no Ryouri too, but I guess that after a few years, when you're ready to move on from the basics, K no R is still rolling them out for a new generation of cooks!

A lot of my favorites have come from stick-in-the-mud Eiyou to Ryouri and gourmet men's mag Dancyu Dancyu site - check recipe index at left!. (E to R site is not really helpful, Dancyu site contains a recipe index, a Good Thing, because the magazine itself only has a couple of recipes per issue. They are usually good, sometimes over the top, but the mag is mainly for reading).

Another surprise is the tiny recipes in the newspaper. I don't know where the journalists dig them up from, I think they just ask the tobacconist's wife on their way to work the morning the copy is due, but every now and then there is some little everyday gem like a quick pickle recipe.

Let's discuss.....

I was a big fan of Kyou no ryouri and even had a subscription for a couple of years, but like Helen said it just sort of recycles the basics. I do pick up a copy every now and then when something catches my eye.

I used to like Tanto but it seems to have disappeared.....

Some of the others like Orange Page I rarely even page through anymore, they seem to be more geared to people who who hate to cook with a lot of prepared foos and shortcuts.

Sorry to have interrupted your conversation, but I've never thought of buying a cooking magazine for just a recipe. I've always thought the essence of Japanese cuisine is a combination of soy sauce and mirin. Beef bowl, yakitori, sukiyaki, and what have you. For someone like me, "recipes" are just... not necessary, simple put.

I like

男の料理 "otoko no ryori" mens' cooking.

Cut this, cut that, put this in, put that it, add soy sauce, add mirin, ... OK, it's done. Let's eat! Itadakimasu! (Do you follow me?)

I read in a book when I was still a teenager that soy sauce delayed the progress of Japanese cuisine by one hundred years because of its perfection.

Don't you agree? (I see disapproval in your eyes.) Sorry. Carry on. I'm out of here. :wink: