• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry picking around Vancouver

Picking rasberries=bugspray. I got absolutely eaten alive by mosquitoes last year. It was worth it though.

Never had that problem picking raspberries in Langley. Unfortunately, we only managed 15 lb between me and my 8-year old daughter (one of my pickers...er, daughters, fell sick, wiping out half of our available crew). I'm glad I wore a long-sleeve shirt, as I escaped with just a few scratches to my knuckles.

Raspberry u-pick should be good for at least another week or two. Thinking of heading out next weekend to pick a few pounds for freezer jam.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

^ We had a much bigger problem with heat stroke than bugs. My lord it was hot over the weekend. We picked about 5lbs of strawberries and 3 each of rasberries and blueberries. Blueberries are just starting and rasberries are in full effect now!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

^ We had a much bigger problem with heat stroke than bugs.  My lord it was hot over the weekend.  We picked about 5lbs of strawberries and 3 each of rasberries and blueberries.  Blueberries are just starting and rasberries are in full effect now!

May I ask, where did you pick your raspberries and how much were they charging per pound?

BTW, I found rubbing Bounce dryer sheets on yourself help ward off mosquitos. I usually leave a few hanging around my clothing if you don't want it on your skin. Avoid eating bananas for a couple of days before being around mosquitos and Avon sells "Skin So Soft" moisturizers that works more effectively than any chemical repellent. I also eat a lot of garlic and that seems to work, too.

• 11 months later...

It's that time of year again - strawberries are ready. Ellis Farms has ready picked strawberries available, and is starting U-pick on Thursday, weather permitting. They are the first u-pick stand on Westham Island.

Does anyone know of any organic (or spray free) u-pick places? I'm planning on making jam and freezing a fair bit (I'm talking 20 +lbs each of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) so I'd like to do u-pick, but I'm having a hard time finding a farm that is organic/spray free (especially for strawberries). Thanks!

Does anyone know of any organic (or spray free) u-pick places? I'm planning on making jam and freezing a fair bit (I'm talking 20 +lbs each of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) so I'd like to do u-pick, but I'm having a hard time finding a farm that is organic/spray free (especially for strawberries).  Thanks!

^^I'm pretty sure there are at least two blueberry farms (probably on No. 6 Rd.) in Richmond that are spray-free. I have no idea of the phone numbers and exact locations, however.

Edited by sanrensho (log)

Does anyone know of any organic (or spray free) u-pick places? I'm planning on making jam and freezing a fair bit (I'm talking 20 +lbs each of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) so I'd like to do u-pick, but I'm having a hard time finding a farm that is organic/spray free (especially for strawberries).  Thanks!

I've been looking for organic strawberry U-picks as well but to no avail. However, I decided to grow June bearing strawberries in a pot this year and it's looking very bountiful. Just from one plant I estimated I will get two to three pounds of Ranier strawberries. Even if you don't have the garden space, you can grow your own in several pots on a sunny balcony. Although I don't know where the seedlings come from, I grow them in organic soil.

As for organic U-pick, I believe a farm on Westham Island has rasperries, blackberries, blueberries and other varieties. I may have been too late but their organic strawberries were too small and would have taken too long to pick what I needed. They do have an interesting small sweet yellow strawberry variety I've never seen before. I'll have to dig out my file to find out the name and location.

I just googled and found this link: http://www.pickyourown.org/canadabc.htm

It's a list of farms all over BC and I didn't read it all but I did notice some organic farms in the Fraser Valley.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this a bit as we just went strawberry picking yesterday. We were able to get 10 lbs from the Country Bumpkins Farm in Chilliwack (they are no-spray, but not organic), which was a bit of a task as they had been pretty much picked clean. I didn't really see that many more - you may be able to get up to 10 lbs there in a couple of days (there were some that were still a little too green). The strawberries were $1.50 a pound and they were very helpful (had ice cream buckets you could borrow - we had brought boxes, also told us the best places in the patch). The strawberries from this farm weren't very hardy - they're softer, but I liked the flavor. They'll be perfect for smoothies, jam, sauces and such.

We then headed out to the Forstbauer Farm to see if we could scrounge up some more strawberries. We ended up being able to pick another 20 lbs very quickly - they had LOTS! There were a fair bit that had molded - I'm guessing this is from the recent rains - but they did have lots of beautiful berries and another week or two, there will be even more (there were lots of almost ripe and still white berries). It was a bit more of an adventure to get to these ones, but that's half the fun! The field is at the back of a farm so you have to drive a bit through muddy fields (thanks to the rain) - we have a very low car, but with wide turns and avoiding the deepest part of the mud we were fine. These berries were a bit hardier (not as soft), with a great flavor as well. They are certified organic, so it was a bit more, $2 a lb. All in all, it was a great trip - we'll be out later in the summer to get some blueberries.

I thought I'd also mention that at the Country Bumpkins farm, I saw that they had fig trees. I asked when they thought they'd be ready and she said most likely the last half of August into early September. They'll be selling them by the box (I don't think they'll have any u-pick), prices to be determined. Now my "artisanal" Christmas baskets will have fig jam as well...

• 11 months later...
Anyone been out that way this year to see if any u-pick strawberry fields are ripe yet? With the weather we've been having it's hard for me to predict.

Was out that way on Monday (16th)..sign said 1 more week.

^ I just read an article on our weather (hot, then cold, then drenching rain) and how it's done quite a number on our berries in BC. They hold out little hope of over 40% yield on this years Strawberries :( The article is stating farmers are highly worried about the blueberries too.

Cranberries were most likely to do just fine this year.

I hope we see some strawberries next week!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Anyone been out that way this year to see if any u-pick strawberry fields are ripe yet? With the weather we've been having it's hard for me to predict.

I'll be going to Featherstone tomorrow and the following days to pick me several pounds. I'm sure it'll be a solid two weeks of picking although they usually open for three weeks.

They're located at No. 4 Road and Steveston Hwy in Richmond.

I'll be going to Featherstone tomorrow and the following days to pick me several pounds. I'm sure it'll be a solid two weeks of picking although they usually open for three weeks.

They're located at No. 4 Road and Steveston Hwy in Richmond.

I went this morning and they had NO u-pick. The small area that was opened last Sunday was well picked over by an unexpected larger group than anticipated. However, I bought ready picked for $1.80 per pound which is more reasonable than most stores.

Call Featherstone in the morning before heading out to get a recorded info. Their number is 604-594-9518.

I was told that U-pick should be ready again this Wednesday. The cost is $1.40 per pound.

How are the berries themselves?

According to their respective websites, Krause in Langley will open for U-pick on Wednesday (25th) and Driediger (also Langley) will open "approximately" on Tuesday (24th).

Edited by sanrensho (log)

How are the berries themselves?

According to their respective websites, Krause in Langley will open for U-pick on Wednesday (25th) and Driediger (also Langley) will open "approximately" on Tuesday (24th).

large, juicy and sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
large, juicy and sweet.

I have to say, I was very disappointed with the berries that my wife and kids picked on Canada Day (I was working). However, the ones we picked last Saturday were much better, although the sweetness seems quite uneven.

One batch of regular strawberry-vanilla jam and freezer strawberry jam are already tucked away.

July 5 was the first day of raspberry picking at Krause Bros. We bought a tray from Driediger Farms and thought they were a bit early, but that's what you get when you don't pick the berries yourself.

large, juicy and sweet.

I have to say, I was very disappointed with the berries that my wife and kids picked on Canada Day (I was working). However, the ones we picked last Saturday were much better, although the sweetness seems quite uneven.

One batch of regular strawberry-vanilla jam and freezer strawberry jam are already tucked away.

July 5 was the first day of raspberry picking at Krause Bros. We bought a tray from Driediger Farms and thought they were a bit early, but that's what you get when you don't pick the berries yourself.

I must agree that the local strawberries are not as good as I remember. They are not as sweet and I find the USA strawberries better in taste. Instead of eating them straight I froze them for future smoothies.

large, juicy and sweet.

I must agree that the local strawberries are not as good as I remember. They are not as sweet and I find the USA strawberries better in taste. Instead of eating them straight I froze them for future smoothies.

Wow sorry to hear this..that first box we bought was great.

• 2 weeks later...