• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry picking around Vancouver

Just bought my first BC strawberries of the season down at Lonsdale Farmers market. $5.95 for a big batch. I'd rate them about a 7/10. Not quite sweet enough but better than anything from CA.

Derek

Fraser Valley is in full berry swing...U-Pick places opened last week, along with the road side stands. U-Pick is about $1.75 a pound, picked about $2. Professional picking crews arriving this week, should be up to our eyeballs by Saturday morning.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

You're right! I haven't seen them yet but my mother-in-law says she saw a few of the roadside stalls open this weekend. I have 3-1/2-year old twins so over the past few years I haven't had time for u-pick. I have been buying my berries already picked at a place called Neufeld Farms in Abbotsford. They always seem to have very good quality berries and the price is comparable to other farms.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I spent the first 23 years of my life living out in south Langley, and berry picking was top priority come summer time. Krause Brothers' farm was our family favourite to go and pick at (though as a child I spent more time jamming berries into my mouth than putting them into my bucket! :unsure: ).

It is always best to call ahead because field conditions vary depending on the weather. Right now they are planning to start picking strawberries June 18th.

Latitude Cellars, Wine Imports

www.LatitudeCellars.com

Ellis Farms is the first u-pick on the right hand side on Westham Island. Their U-Pick will be open this weekend, 8am to 8pm. Call ahead if it is raining - 604-946-4393.

Once you leave the u-pick field, hang a right and take the 1st right (Kirkland Road). The Westham Island Herb Farm is located on the right hand side. They have fresh new potatoes, ready picked strawberries, bedding plants, herbs and unique gift ideas.

And remember just because a berry is small doesn't mean it isn't sweet. Usually they're the sweeter ones.

Berry Picking Etiquette (from someone who used to work in a berry patch and got asked these questions)

1.) Don't ask if they are local berries (look in the field in front of you, can they get any more local?)

2.) Don't ask if the berries have dirt on them, or if the field is dirty. You probably don't want to wear white to pick berries in a field.

3.) Don't ask if you can bring your pet in. They trample plants and urinate on a product that is being sold for eating.

4.) Don't ask if the berries are sweet. With all the berry farms competing for a small u-pick market, do you think they'd grow berries that weren't sweet?

5.) If you have containers, bring them with you. All the places I know will weigh your empty container and deduct the weight off when you go to pay, so that you are not paying for the container.

6.) Do ask if they have sprayed their berries. You should be informed about what you are putting in your body.

7.) Don't put your berries in plastic bags for the trip home in the car. Mmmm, sweaty, squishy berries - very appealing. Also, don't wash your berries until right before you're going to eat them. Get home and get them refrigerated.

8.) Bring cash - most places don't have the facilities to run a credit card/interac machine to the field.

9.) Listen to the employee. If they tell you to pick in a certain row, they are trying to be helpful and give you a row that hasn't been picked in the last few days. They know what has been picked and what hasn't. I don't understand these places that tell you to pick wherever you want. Talk about a waste of berries. Speaking of waste, pick all the berries in your row, even the small ones. Throw the rotten ones to the side.

10.) Be polite to other pickers. There are lots of berries, no need to fight.

11.) Would you take your kids to the store and feed them the food in the store while you were shopping? Then why do it in a berry patch? Hey, I'm all for sampling to see how good they taste, but when 4 people in a family go out for 20 minutes and come back in with 10 strawberries (yes it has happened), I get a little mad. Pick them, weigh them, pay for them, then eat them. Just like any other store.

12.) Don't say - "I could get these cheaper at "Chain Grocery Store". Yes you could get them cheaper, because they buy thousands of pounds at a time at a discount, or they are selling them as a loss-leader to get you into the store, or they're Californian (don't get me started on that - why sell Cali berries during local season?). Get out and support your local farmers, people, or one day we'll depend on the US for all our fruits and vegetables.

Wow, all this reminiscing about my days as a U-pick cashier has really made me sound bitter, so last of all...

12.) Enjoy your day outside and be thankful we have beautiful yummy berries so close to us. Feel good for supporting a small local farmer. Feel good for getting out in the sunshine and off the couch. Feel good that for the next few months we have so many local seasonal fruits and vegetables to enjoy. I couldn't imagine living in a place with 12 months a year of California strawberries.

I hope this isn't too off topic. Is there a "Bitter Ex-Produce Worker Forum" that I could contribute to? First item - don't wet your hair in the sprinklers in the lettuce section (yes, it has happened).

Thanks for the tips, lauramart. I think I'll head out to Westham Is on Sunday with my dad. Strawberries are just about his favourite food, and the weather forecast looks good, sounds like a fun fathers' day trip.

Is there a "Bitter Ex-Produce Worker Forum" that I could contribute to?

No, but you could start a thread in the General Food Topics forum. Might be quite entertaining, actually. :wink:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Ellis Farms is the first u-pick on the right hand side on Westham Island.  Their U-Pick will be open this weekend, 8am to 8pm.  Call ahead if it is raining - 604-946-4393.

Once you leave the u-pick field, hang a right and take the 1st right (Kirkland Road).  The Westham Island Herb Farm is located on the right hand side.  They have fresh new potatoes, ready picked strawberries, bedding plants, herbs and unique gift ideas.

And remember just because a berry is small doesn't mean it isn't sweet.  Usually they're the sweeter ones.

I'm planning to go to the Ladner's Village Market and there is a U-pick farm nearby. Is Ellis or Westham the farm that has ALL types of berries for U-pick during the summer? The farm I'm thinking of has strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, tayberries, blueberries, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

On Westham Island:

First u-pick on the right hand side - Ellis Farms - U-pick and ready picked strawberries

Kirkland Road on your right - Westham Island Herb Farm - ready picked strawberries, new potatoes, bedding plants, organic veggies, jellies, honey

Second u-pick on the right hand side - Emma Lea Farms - u-pick and ready picked strawberries (I believe they have raspberries as well, or will have them shortly)

Keep driving until you're almost at the bird sanctuary - Bissett Farms - fruit winery, and strawberries, raspberries, tayberries, etc. for sale.

Across the road from Emma Lea is a farmer selling his own beef - I haven't looked into it, but if anyone is interested, pull in the driveway and honk, like his sign says.

On Westham Island:

First u-pick on the right hand side - Ellis Farms - U-pick and ready picked strawberries

Kirkland Road on your right - Westham Island Herb Farm - ready picked strawberries, new potatoes, bedding plants, organic veggies, jellies, honey

Second u-pick on the right hand side - Emma Lea Farms - u-pick and ready picked strawberries (I believe they have raspberries as well, or will have them shortly)

Keep driving until you're almost at the bird sanctuary - Bissett Farms - fruit winery, and strawberries, raspberries, tayberries, etc. for sale. 

Across the road from Emma Lea is a farmer selling his own beef - I haven't looked into it, but if anyone is interested, pull in the driveway and honk, like his sign says.

Thanks for the info. I'll be checking it out after the Ladner's Village Market.

I've picked strawberries in Richmond this past week and found out that we have three varieties in BC. The ones I picked are called Ranier. What are the other two types?

What is the difference in flavor, shapes, etc? The ones sold at the Riley's Farmer's Market were different and I didn't catch the name. The vendor said his strawberries are firmer. Do some make better jam than others?

Some of the varieties grown around here are Rainier, Shuksan, Totem - I'm sure there are others. You would have to do an internet search to see what the differences are. Unless I have one of each in front of me, I can't tell the difference, whereas my uncle who used to grow berries, can tell by looking.

This webpage describes some strawberry varieties - http://www.weeksberry.com/STRAWSP.HTML or http://www.als-gardencenter.com/Strawberry_List.htm

Buyer beware: just because you are told they are one variety, doesn't mean they really are. Example - peaches and cream corn - this is just one variety of bi-coloured corn. It is not necessarily the best, but the public knows the name and associates all bi-colored corn with the words"peaches and cream", so the farmer/store tells them that's what it is, rather than explaining they have a sweeter variety called "Honey and Pearl".

Some of the varieties grown around here are Rainier, Shuksan, Totem - I'm sure there are others.  You would have to do an internet search to see what the differences are.  Unless I have one of each in front of me, I can't tell the difference, whereas my uncle who used to grow berries, can tell by looking.

This webpage describes some strawberry varieties - http://www.weeksberry.com/STRAWSP.HTML or http://www.als-gardencenter.com/Strawberry_List.htm

Buyer beware:  just because you are told they are one variety, doesn't mean they really are.  Example - peaches and cream corn - this is just one variety of bi-coloured corn.  It is not necessarily the best, but the public knows the name and associates all bi-colored corn with the words"peaches and cream", so the farmer/store tells them that's what it is, rather than explaining they have a sweeter variety called "Honey and Pearl".

I've been doing some tasting of the local varieties, and I find that more than varietal difference, the size of the berry itself seems to matter. The smaller berries tend to be less watery and woody. So far I'm liking the berries from Krause farms (bought at Choices) the best. I'm guessing moisture, soil drainage and sun also really affect the flavor. I'll ask around about what berries are best for cooking/preserving, but I would guess the ones that taste best raw make the best jam. This month's issue of Harrowsmith Country Life magazine has a feature on strawberries, but they seem to focus on Eastern Canadian varieties.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Thanks for the info on strawberries. Hopefully Duthie Books will carry Harrowsmith as I don't often see this magazine around.

I've picked over 80 pounds of strawberries for family and friends. I've gone three times this week and each time the berries just get bigger and sweeter and easier to pick. I think I like the harvesting better than the eating.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I am looking forward to raspberry picking. I understand it's not ready yet and I have asked around for a farm close by, like Richmond. I see lauramart has suggested Ladner but I don't often get out there and it is rather far for me. Is there any place in Richmond that has decent U-pick raspberries?

Thanks.

I see lauramart has suggested Ladner but I don't often get out there and it is rather far for me.  Is there any place in Richmond that has decent U-pick raspberries?

I've done u-pick rasberries in Richmond, so I know it definitely exists. However, I think it's at least a week or two away. Look for the signs along Steveston Highway. The place I went to was south of Steveston Hwy. I don't recall any raspberry u-pick along No. 6.

I bought 7 lbs from Surrey Farms last week (June 16) and found them to be decent, however the 30 lbs from Krause farms today (June 23) were excellent. Might be that the Krause farm ones were the second pick which tends to be sweeter. I'm making lots of jam (cooked and freezer) and will IQF a bunch as well.

Krause farms also had raspberries for sale, but their u-pick ones were not quite ready yet.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Picked 15+ lb at Driediger's today. Plenty of ripe berries but not particularly big. Not a concern, since mine are for freezer jam and some IQF.

Interestingly, they had no strawberries for sale, only u-pick. A lot of people were disappointed due to the lack of strawberries for sale.

Raspberries are also going, but Driediger's was picked out today. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.:biggrin:

Taping your wrists?

Picked 15+ lb at Driediger's today. Plenty of ripe berries but not particularly big. Not a concern, since mine are for freezer jam and some IQF.

Interestingly, they had no strawberries for sale, only u-pick. A lot of people were disappointed due to the lack of strawberries for sale.

Raspberries are also going, but Driediger's was picked out today. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.:biggrin:

I want to pick raspberries this Wednesday. Is there any place in Richmond that has U-pick, is not picked out and has good berries? It would be helpful to have a name and address. I also plan to pick strawberries in Richmond Featherstone) and prefer not to drive out to Ladner or Chilliwack.

Thanks.

Went to Featherstone in Richmond to to pick strawberries one last time. They said there is probably one more week left for them. Many of the strawberries were very crimson and had less flavour than last week's bunch. It's such a shame to see so many strawberries go to waste.

Drove up and down on Steveston and did not see any U-pick raspberries. I ended up buying a small container of them at a roadside and they were beautiful. Guess it'll have to be Delta for U-picks.

I bought already picked strawberries in Abbotsford today and they are awesome! Even better than the flat I bought on saturday.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Picked strawberries (so good :wub: ) last Saturday on Westham Island, and a number of the farms were going to be starting raspberry u-pick this weekend. Hubby and I had a great time exploring an area in the GVRD that neither of us had ever been to. We are going back to stock up on raspberries. Don't forget to bring and hat and slather on the sunscreen.