• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish market in Tampa?

We had an eG food blog by FL Heat in January, and she included photos and comments about this market. Take a look at the blog if you wish... Seafood is included among the other goodies pictured. Maybe this will help your friend find some good fish.

Here is the web site for the Land and Sea Market. I see there are two locations in Tampa.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 1 month later...

Although I do shop at the Land & Sea Market occasionally, I am not all that impressed with their seafood selection and quality. I much prefer Oceanic which is an oriental market in downtown Tampa. If you want to talk fresh, Oceanic has a live tank where you can pick out fish that are still swimming. If that is not fresh I don't know what is. Unlike most other markets, the majority of their fish is whole, not filleted. This really allows you to pick the best of the best on any given day. Try it out, it's definately worth fighting downtown traffic for.

"And those who were dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music." FN

• 2 weeks later...

Oceanic is good. Another place to try out is a seafood shop on the east side of Dale Mabry, north of the stadium and south of Waters. (yeah I know that's a long stretch). If I had cooked more in Tampa I could vouch for the quality. I did havea good feeling about the freshness and variety.

The Fresh Market is a great place for a foodie to get his/her hopes up. Still it's worth checking out. I didn't try much fish there, but I bought the sashimi grade tuna several times, and it was quite good.

• 2 weeks later...
Another place to try out is a seafood shop on the east side of Dale Mabry, north of the stadium and south of Waters.

The Place you're refering to is Cox's Seafood. It may not look like much from the outside, but they have a great selection on the inside. I can't believe I forgot to mention it. Also, if you're looking for lobster, Monstah Lobstah (at least 2 locations in Tampa, one is by Northdale) is the place to go. They have everything from little 1 pounders, up to 15 pound monsters.

"And those who were dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music." FN

What are the best places to buy fresh fish in Tampa?  A friend is going to visit his parents there and has yet to find a good fish market, and the fish from the grocer stores aren't cutting it.

I like Save on Seafood, 4820 N Armenia Ave. The prices are reasonable, the fish is fresh and the selection is pretty wide. They even have fresh dungeness crab in a tank, along with the usual blue crab. I got some sushi grade tuna that was half the price you'll find anywhere else, because they were smaller pieces, not large steaks.