• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stemless Wine Glasses

2roost

years back I send a whole bunch of emails to various wineries suggesting they introduce a 1 liter +/- type box for cooks who need one cup/half cup at a time  . . . usually not even a reply 'thanks, drop dead' from most of them.

some box wine sellers do offer smaller "boxes" - I presume for 'try this, you might like it' purposes.

of the 3-4-5 boxed wines available in my state (state controlled....) there are very significant difference to my taste buds.

we brought back a batch of "classic" German wine glasses - which we do use for company/holiday/fancy dinners.

for the more mundane . . . just a highball glass....

the background is unrelated , , , just dinner on the hoof...)

827721545_IMG_13561.thumb.JPG.739f6fa1de57b9620f1bbb99f85b0c3d.JPG

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

we brought back a batch of "classic" German wine glasses - which we do use for company/holiday/fancy dinners.

for the more mundane . . . just a highball glass....

the background is unrelated , , , just dinner on the hoof...)

827721545_IMG_13561.thumb.JPG.739f6fa1de57b9620f1bbb99f85b0c3d.JPG

This is what we call a Römerglas - classic indeed !

When we were in Paris last year (right before the shutdown), I wanted to check out a wine bar I'd heard about...Bibovino, right on rue Charlot, in the 3rd. 

And this was one of the main reasons I wanted to see it...

1343023430_WineinboxesBiBoVino.thumb.JPG.1cf47fe98b4bc8a47abc3b2c8cafb660.JPG

2 Liter and 3 Liter boxes.  And obviously makes it easy to taste anything before you buy it!

I think 1 liter are probably superfluous. If I only need a glass of wine for cooking, a small airline bottle works. Or a glass from the wine we're drinking, unless that's a fancy-dancy wine.  

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

When we were in Paris last year (right before the shutdown), I wanted to check out a wine bar I'd heard about...Bibovino, right on rue Charlot, in the 3rd. 

And this was one of the main reasons I wanted to see it...

1343023430_WineinboxesBiBoVino.thumb.JPG.1cf47fe98b4bc8a47abc3b2c8cafb660.JPG

2 Liter and 3 Liter boxes.  And obviously makes it easy to taste anything before you buy it!

And how were they?  I like the round ones.  Much less offensive than the box. 

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

33 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Good!

As can be seen, real varietals, not just plonk.

Nice, I imagine the liner materials/construction has improved. The cheap one I tried years ago, besides being young nasty swill, the film or foil taste was rudely pervasive. 

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken