• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stemless Wine Glasses

2roost

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Gluten free linguine with alfredo sauce with asparagus, sugar snap peas, and leftover shrimp from the night before. Salad, and inappropriate red wine, but I didn't have any white or rose', and it was Sunday, so it would have been an hour and a half round trip to get it. Wasn't worth it.

Apologies to @weinoo for the stemless wineglass.

Apology (not needed) yet accepted. A lot of people like them; I just can't abide by them since I find them so clumsy. Maybe it's just me who is clumsy?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Apology (not needed) yet accepted. A lot of people like them; I just can't abide by them since I find them so clumsy. Maybe it's just me who is clumsy?

Hmm. My GF favors them because she's clumsy (especially after the second or third glass). She finds the lower center of gravity means she's less likely to knock it over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

As I wrote, maybe it's just me? I find they slip out of my hand much more easily than when I pick up a wine glass by its stem. They have that sort of bulge down towards the bottom, which is where I reach when reaching for a wine glass.

Two additional reasons why the preferred wine glass here is one with a stem:

Wine gets warmed up from the hand and I find it harder to check out the wine's color/clarity etc. YMMV of course.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Wine gets warmed up from the hand and I find it harder to check out the wine's color/clarity etc. YMMV of course.

LOL She drinks Carlo Rossi California Red, and others of that ilk. She'd be the first to tell you she has no palate (actually she'd say "I like what I like," but it nets out to be about the same).

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

As I wrote, maybe it's just me? I find they slip out of my hand much more easily than when I pick up a wine glass by its stem. They have that sort of bulge down towards the bottom, which is where I reach when reaching for a wine glass.

I, also, am not overly fond of the stem-less glasses.  I like to swirl it in the glass (one of my favorite things about wine is the smell of it) and I can't do it as easily in the stemless glass.. maybe I just need more practice?

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I, also, am not overly fond of the stem-less glasses.  I like to swirl it in the glass (one of my favorite things about wine is the smell of it) and I can't do it as easily in the stemless glass.. maybe I just need more practice?

I swirl directly in the tetra brik and save $$$ for not buying fancy glassware or dish detergent ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, KennethT said:

Right. Exactly.  (No, you don't need more practice - the stemless wine glass sucks).

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@weinoo  – I have to agree about the stemless glasses.  Neither Jessica nor I can use them.  We can’t get a good hold on them at all.  Neither of us has weirdly tiny hands, but we never feel like we’re holding them securely.  It’s too bad, too, because someone gave us a lovely set that are beautifully thin and have an “S” etched on the side. 

Right - exactly. 

Bistros in Paris have been using stemless glasses for their plonk wines for a long time. But plain old Duralex (the classic Picardie style) water glasses - not fancy stemless "wine glasses."

When McNally opened the late-lamented Schiller's down here in the early aughts, it was a practically a scandal that he served the 3 "house wines" from carafes (listed on the menu as cheap, decent, and good) in stemless wine glasses: aka - Duralex juice glasses. But when a decent-er bottle was ordered, it came with real wine glasses.

And at home, when I don't want to wash 2 wine glasses, out come the Duralex; easy to hold onto, and into the dishwasher they go.

image.png.0197424ae15dfd59da31a219d416f85e.png

• Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I used these for a while :

https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-sorrento-bar-double-wall-glas-sommelier-set-39500-212/39500-212-0.html?cgid=tabletop_glassware#start=1

39500-212_1.thumb.jpg.0c6ff7013ea2a06f7a5585f350e827e3.jpg

but they are difficult to hold when washing.  very slipery

also the base is OK , but the flat base is better

and these are Vacuum insulated.  for table wine(s)

Edited by rotuts (log)

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Right. Exactly.  (No, you don't need more practice - the stemless wine glass sucks).

Bistros in Paris have been using stemless glasses for their plonk wines for a long time. But plain old Duralex (the classic Picardie style) water glasses - not fancy stemless "wine glasses."

When McNally opened the late-lamented Schiller's down here in the early aughts, it was a practically a scandal that he served the 3 "house wines" from carafes (listed on the menu as cheap, decent, and good) in stemless wine glasses: aka - Duralex juice glasses. But when a decent-er bottle was ordered, it came with real wine glasses.

And at home, when I don't want to wash 2 wine glasses, out come the Duralex; easy to hold onto, and into the dishwasher they go.

I don't experience the holding and swirling challenge esp when rotated on a surface. I do get that clarity/legs are not as easy to assess. Also they don't cover every grape or as large as one might like.    

Yea, often comes down to laziness and whether the wine is worth washing stems over.  The stemless are also great for water, soda, beer and cocktails.  Maybe a psychological aspect too. I don't have the same expectations of the wine because they remind me of the vin de table water glasses than the stems.   

As for Schiller's, what a great place and time for that area.  I drank a lot of wine from  those cups. Thanks for sparking.

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Yea, often comes down to laziness and whether the wine is worth washing stems over.  The stemless are also great for water, soda, beer and cocktails.  Maybe a psychological aspect too. I don't have the same expectations of the wine because they remind me of the vin de table water glasses than the stems.   

As for Schiller's, what a great place and time for that area.  I drank a lot of wine from  those cups. Thanks for sparking.

But even for water, soda, beer, et al. I find that I have trouble holding stemless wine glasses...they're just clunky in my hands.

Sometimes the wine glasses (with stems) go in the dishwasher; other times no. That all depends on what else is in there and if they'll fit into the load.

I miss Schiller's greatly, especially its early days. They had a fantastic host, like the best host in the whole city; he could fit seven models at a 4 top. Gorgeous crowd (early days, once again), gorgeous girls and boys working as well. Just about perfect, as you mention, for its time and place. Keith was nothing if not groundbreaking. 

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I used to love stemmed wine glasses until a very good friend would knock one over almost every time he joined us for dinner. I wasn’t worried about the wine glasses but about his embarrassment so we compromised. These are not quite the shape that we bought but very similar. 

Short stemmed wine glasses.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I used to love stemmed wine glasses until a very good friend would knock one over almost every time he joined us for dinner. I wasn’t worried about the wine glasses but about his embarrassment so we compromised.

You define gracious hospitality.

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

But even for water, soda, beer, et al. I find that I have trouble holding stemless wine glasses...they're just clunky in my hands.

In the Palatinate area of Germany (where I work, but not live 🤗), wine is drunk from the so called „Dubbeglas“, a 0.5 L stemless glass with a lot of circular indentations. It stands sturdily even on wet surfaces and you can grab it safely even after the contents of 3 or 4 glasses have been consumed. 

800px-Dubbeglas.jpg

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Duvel said:

In the Palatinate area of Germany (where I work, but not live 🤗), wine is drunk from the so called „Dubbeglas“, a 0.5 L stemless glass with a lot of circular indentations. It stands sturdily even on wet surfaces and you can grab it safely even after the contents of 3 or 4 glasses have been consumed. 

800px-Dubbeglas.jpg

Those are our beer pint (water) glasses!  Never thought to put wine (even the cheap swill) in them. 

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

On 4/20/2021 at 3:48 AM, weinoo said:

Right - exactly. 

image.png.0197424ae15dfd59da31a219d416f85e.png

I went through a Duralex phase. It seemed romantic. French picnic! But my husband never took to it. He prefers to take his chances with stemmed wine glasses; one particularly weird event involving two stemmed wineglasses included a trip to the ER. I discovered the best solution was simply Ikea generic stemmed glasses. If one breaks it isn't sad, and every so often you can go back to Ikea for another six-pack. The decline of dinner parties at our house has resulted in a pretty stable collection of wine glasses.

2 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

considering a bottle is 750 ml, and the glass is 500 ml - ordering a double is out of the question . . .

Luckily, tetra bricks come in 1 and 2 L ... 

• Haha 3

When consuming wine from a carton is a glass really even required?

2 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

considering a bottle is 750 ml, and the glass is 500 ml - ordering a double is out of the question . . .

13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Luckily, tetra bricks come in 1 and 2 L ... 

When consuming wine from a carton does one even require a glass?

That wasn't chicken

55 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

When consuming wine from a carton is a glass really even required?

When consuming wine from a carton does one even require a glass?

Isn’t this whole topic all about drinking in style ? 😉

Edited by Duvel (log)

And being Canadian we like to stay middle of the road.

2E8EE427-929A-4BE8-A153-8A313565D39A.thumb.jpeg.a331a37aa1f99566408b5dd23ecc5f1f.jpeg

Used to claim that it would last for six weeks after opening. My sister called that false advertising and swore it never lasted more than two weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And being Canadian we like to stay middle of the road.

2E8EE427-929A-4BE8-A153-8A313565D39A.thumb.jpeg.a331a37aa1f99566408b5dd23ecc5f1f.jpeg

Used to claim that it would last for six weeks after opening. My sister called that false advertising and swore it never lasted more than two weeks. 

If only I had counter space.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou