• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me with my creme fraiche

Hanne Frosta

I need to make an menu item out of creme fraiche, as I have about 4 kilos thats just sitting there. I was thinking a soup with morels and some stock, a whipped creme of some sortd and and and....please give me some good ideas. :wink::biggrin:

Spisestedet På Høyden

Bergen, Norway

I make a nice five-onion dip with creme fraiche. Combine brunoised shallot, scallion, chive, red onion and sweet onion (like Vidalia) with creme fraiche and a little sour cream. Salt the hell out of it and let it sit for a few hours before consuming. It always gets consumed rapidly.

I like creme fraiche to finish soups and stews, but not enough of it to use 4 kilos.

I make a nice five-onion dip with creme fraiche. Combine brunoised shallot, scallion, chive, red onion and sweet onion (like Vidalia) with creme fraiche and a little sour cream. Salt the hell out of it and let it sit for a few hours before consuming. It always gets consumed rapidly.

I like creme fraiche to finish soups and stews, but not enough of it to use 4 kilos.

that sounds nice. I of course thought of a little swirl and the like, but 4 kilos is a bit much...hehe

Im making a passionfruit cream to go with ovenbaked chicken, a morel and baked pepper sauce with entrecote but still....

Don't know how professional kitchens "deal" between the sweet and savory side--but the pastry chef may be able to use quite a bit in fillings for fruit tarts.

I posted a recipe for a respberry creme fraiche tart on recipe gullet a while back.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sherry Yard has a recipe for creamy caramel sauce that uses creme fraiche, can be held for a long time in the fridge, and is the best-tasting caramel sauce I've had. You could use up several cups of your creme fraiche making a big batch of this sauce.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

How about tying the creme fraiche in cheese cloth and allow it to drain and dry some what.

Maybe flavor with fresh herbs? :smile:

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson

I have posted it did it straight away! As it's a sorbet it doesn't really matter whether its smooth though as mentioned in recipe can try whisk or liquidizer whilst freezing(Hand blender best).It on Recipe Gullet

Edited to add:

Most dark chocolate ganaches will swap creme fraiche for cream just got to play with the acidity and soften with more butter if the chocolate needs it.

Link for Sorbet

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1259.html

Edited by PassionateChefsDie (log)
Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

Had another thought perhaps you could strain and replace cheese in cheesecake though you will have to be clever with what type of cheesecake. I'll post a lemon cheesecake recipe if you replace the cheese with well strained creme fraiche I cant see why it wouldn't work.

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1263.html

Getting good at this done the recipe link for you. This works well with Smoked Salmon and cheese biscuits as the base, just a little less cheese and a little lemon, reckon thats calling for creme fraiche. Though I would have some cheese on hand in case its getting to acidic, with both!

Wouldn't do a lemon cheesecake I was thinking of something like a Strawberry heah maybe with Blackpepper! :unsure:

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

• 8 months later...