• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DECCA 77

jamiemaw

it's not about doubling the c to ensure k-ness. it's about the lax e, and its need for a coda, so the doubled c shows that it is ambisyllabic, and thus the e is lax, otherwise it would be a tense e, and it would be pronounced Dee'ka. we don't need to get into the etymology of the root of decca/deca/deka since i'm just justifying the use of a double c. In reality, I think the name comes from a special pack of cards that the Greeks use, and it has 25 more cards than the regular 52 pack. it's a decca77. :raz:

besides that, this one goes up to eleven.

anyway, sorry to stray from the topic, it's about the food...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Beauchemin's review misleads the reader in several ways.

1. he mentions the vegetarian plate at $30. this is wrong. the vegetarian plate is priced at a very reasonable $26. It is fazzoletti (a large sheet of pasta, homemade of course) plate piled high with seasonal vegetables (as many as 15 to 20 varieties are in the plate), and laguiole cheese. and that's not the only plate available below $30...

2. he mentions that there exists a decca77 in toronto. after doing searches in several places on the internet (google, canada411.com, restaurant guides), and searching all incarnations of the name, (deca77, deca 77, decca77, decca 77, deca, decca, 77), I found no mention anywhere of any Decca77 in Toronto. the only thing I can think of that would lead him to say this is a quick search he did on google, and found this website. the title of this page is toronto restaurants, DECCA77, but if you read for two seconds, you realise the restaurant you are reading about is indeed the one in montreal.

3. he makes no mention of a lunch prix fixe menu that the restaurant offers for $25. chèr, très chèr? I find it quite reasonable to spend a good 25 dollars on a three course menu for lunch, and eat something of great quality with fresh and interesting ingredients where the staff are clearly professionally trained, in a clean and open kitchen, rather than go across the street to bâton rouge or st. hubert and take their table d'hôte menu just to save a few dollars. not long ago, i had a lunch at europea and spent about the same as you would at decca77, and was very happy. i think it is perfectly reasonable to sit down and eat such a menu at such a price in a space as impressive as decca. i find it misleading to the reader to avoid mentioning this, as it is a very significant part of what the restaurant has to offer.

4. he leads the reader to believe that Mr. Bergeron has worked at keller, ramsay, trotter. I won't speak for Mr. B himself, but I can assure you, to conclude that Mr. B worked at these places would be a mistake. we can get into the semantics of what Mr. beauchemin menat by "passé par les cuisines", but let's be reasonable here. (edit grammar)

yes, i work at decca77.

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Yeah, I gotta say I questioned some things in that review. It lead me to believe that they might be opening up a Decca in TO.

Maybe I got something wrong too, hope not (yes I read the bit about the Decca name).

But why wasn't Lumiere named?

leslie, the absence of mentioning lumière was indeed a curiosity, and one that was noticed by more than just you. i am aware that mr. beauchemin used to post on egullet. perhaps he can check in to answer these questions himself! c'est à ton tour!

...btw, the fazzoletti this evening had nineteen varieties of vegetable:

grilled red pepper

grilled eggplant

artichoke

pattypan

green zucchini

brussels sprouts

spinach

lettuce

tangella tomato

blue-foot mushroom

radish

marinated pearl onions

mini leeks

green peas

yellow carrot

fennel

red onion

cucumber

(you'll forgive me if i forget the other one)

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

...btw, the fazzoletti this evening had nineteen varieties of vegetable:

grilled red pepper

grilled eggplant

artichoke

pattypan

green zucchini

brussels sprouts

spinach

lettuce

tangella tomato

blue-foot mushroom

radish