• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DougL

DougL

13 hours ago, paulraphael said:

You just have to do it by feel. Once you figure it out, you can go by measurement if you always use the same flour ... at least if it's a consistent brand like KA.

If you switch from bread flour to AP you'll need to reduce the liquid quite a bit. The higher protein content of bread flour soaks up much more water. 

But it would be nice to know what I should be feeling. I guess it's just a matter of experimentation. Very good point about bread flour soaking up more water. That's exactly right that the extra gluten (which is a protein) has that property.

DougL

DougL

12 hours ago, paulraphael said:

You just have to do it by feel. Once you figure it out, you can go by measurement if you always use the same flour ... at least if it's a consistent brand like KA.

If you switch from bread flour to AP you'll need to reduce the liquid quite a bit. The higher protein content of bread flour soaks up much more water. 

Yes, but it would be nice to know what I should be feeling. I guess it's just a matter of experimentation. Very good point about bread flour soaking up more water. That's exactly right that the extra gluten (which is a protein) has that property.