• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whidbey Island dining

We will be spending the weekend on Whidbey Island and would appreciate any recommendations. Has anyone tried Trattoria Guisseppe? A bit of browsing suggests that Langley may be the best bet.

Thanks.

Edited by SeAAttle (log)

Though it's been a few years since we've done this, the Inn at Langley hosts an outstanding six-course prix fixe dinner every Friday and Saturday evening. Click here for more information from the Inn's website. And the accommodations are also wonderful... perfect for a romantic weekend getaway.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Though it's been a few years since we've done this, the Inn at Langley hosts an outstanding six-course prix fixe dinner every Friday and Saturday evening.  Click here for more information from the Inn's website.  And the accommodations are also wonderful... perfect for a romantic weekend getaway.

All set for the Inn at Langley for Saturday evening. Thanks for the recommendation.

Wow - last week you were helping us with Vancouver restaurants, and now Whidbey Island. Will let you know where we are going next!!

We will be spending the weekend on Whidbey Island and would appreciate any recommendations.  Has anyone tried Trattoria Guisseppe?  A bit of browsing suggests that Langley may be the best bet.

Thanks.

We love Trattoria Guisseppe. Haven't eaten there in two years but don't be afraid of what it looks like from the outside. It is a storefront in a little strip mall but the food and atmosphere inside are wonderful. Their Osso Bucco is as good as my Sicilian grandmothers. And if they have the calmari steak is on the menu--get it!

Jim in Redmond, WA

Though it's been a few years since we've done this, the Inn at Langley hosts an outstanding six-course prix fixe dinner every Friday and Saturday evening.  Click here for more information from the Inn's website.  And the accommodations are also wonderful... perfect for a romantic weekend getaway.

All set for the Inn at Langley for Saturday evening. Thanks for the recommendation.

Wow - last week you were helping us with Vancouver restaurants, and now Whidbey Island. Will let you know where we are going next!!

Be sure to post a review!

Time for the report.

Langley is farther from our living quarters in Coupeville than we realized so we "dined" locally the first night, skipping Trattoria Guiseppe. The event at the Inn at Langley was exceptionally nice. We had a table near the door with a view of the garden and the fireplace. The person who took our reservation was very careful to tell us about the table so we would not be disappointed that we would not be able to watch the chef. We found that this was preferable since the larger room, with the view of the kitchen, was rather noisy.

Ironically, chef Matt Costello was in Seattle for a special event. The guest chef was Will Russell from Dahlia! I am not very good at remembering the menu but can say that it was excellent. The service was also exceptional - attentive but not intrusive. My only complaint (a small one) was that one of the main courses could have been a bit hotter.

The Inn has an excellent wine list, so we passed on the wine we had brought with us and had half bottles matched to the menu (we had a 45 minute drive afterwards). Also, the corkage is rather pricey - $35!

Overall, I highly recommend dining at the Inn and understand that the accommodations are also quite good. Looking forward to spending a relaxing weekend there in the future.

Edited by SeAAttle (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! I'm glad that you enjoyed your dinner... all the more incentive for us to make a return trip to the Inn at Langley soon. :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
My mom lives on Whidbey, so I've tried some of the nicer restaurants--my favorite so far was the Oyster Catcher (I think it's in Langley). But for just regular food with a great view, you can't beat TOBY'S!

http://www.tobysuds.com/

I just ate at Toby's this afternoon for the first time - gorged on the fish and chips with shrimp and clams - good slaw, beer, view and nice people. YUM!

My mom lives on Whidbey, so I've tried some of the nicer restaurants--my favorite so far was the Oyster Catcher (I think it's in Langley). But for just regular food with a great view, you can't beat TOBY'S!

http://www.tobysuds.com/

I just ate at Toby's this afternoon for the first time - gorged on the fish and chips with shrimp and clams - good slaw, beer, view and nice people. YUM!

I love Toby's too (it's in Coupeville, by the way). Excellent fish and chips and coleslaw. Good chowder. Great steamed mussels with really tasty bread that's fried with butter on the griddle. The portions are huge--we ordered way too much (but I think we finished it anyway :rolleyes: ) .

*edited to add location

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Count me as another Toby's fan. Although, I have never managed to get one of those booths overlooking the water. Hmmm. Maybe I need to drive to Whidbey today.

Toby's alone is not worth the drive, but if you are on Whidbey and looking for regular food, I too would recommend the fish and chips. The beer is pretty good too.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Hey there. If you want a fantastic upscale-casual place, visit Star Bistro in downtown Langley. They are upstairs from the Star Store on the main shopping street.

I seem to remember they had the absolute best BBQ sauce on the planet. We even asked them to pack some in a soup container for purchase on our last lunch there. It's been a while, but their menu included salads, seafood, pasta, pizzas, and they had a terrific rooftop patio (probably not useful this time of year).

[edited for abominable spelling]

Edited by lizard (log)