• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WH makes its Vancouver Move

I was just surfing around and noticed that Whole Foods has made plans for a 2nd lower mainland store - Cambie and Broadway. WH New Stores

I am surprised that they are moving so quickly. The West Van store does well and I shop there - but I did not think that it was doing super killer business. That being said - I don't think West Van would ever be the biggest grossing store - people on the North Shore just don't blow money on groceries that way.

The Cambie and Broadway location is a smart one and will could Caper's hard. Should pull in alot of Yaletown business as well as people from the westside and Main street. Just look at the kind of business that MEC does there.

This store seems to be quite some ways off. The project (525 W. Broadway) has only received a preliminary approval from the Development Permit Board and still has to proceed for final approval which is currently not scheduled.

Wow, that is pretty fast. But the high end grocery business seems to be pretty dynamic in Vancouver right now. I believe there's an Urban Fare going in at the base of the Shangri La building at Geogia and Thurlow.

Cheers,

Anne

My friend and I were just discussing yesterday the potential on West Broadway, between Main and Cambie. Haven't been to a WF store...what's special about it?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

This store seems to be quite some ways off.  The project (525 W. Broadway) has only received a preliminary approval from the Development Permit Board and still has to proceed for final approval which is currently not scheduled.

Privatejet - how did you get the address? I was thinking that the store would be located in the new development on along the rise on Cambie. But if you are right - it would seem to mean that the whole Fairchild building must be coming down or being redeveloped. A new store is then a couple of years down the road. But I am guessing that plans are pretty firm - they even have estimated square footage on the website - and at 55k - it is a pretty big store.

But maybe not so quick.

It is a like a giant Capers- lots of beautifully presented organic produce,

meat and everthing else, plus an inhouse cafe. I find the prices competitive as well.

It looks like there will be a new Capers opening up a few blocks on Cambie as well, at the "Olive" development.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I was wondering where the space was at that corner; is 525 inside that little plaza / mall with the MacDonalds and SBC? Is that the "Fairchild building"?

I'm not sure about this location for Whole Foods - that particular corner isn't one I'd say has a large disposable income. IMO Kerrisdale or Point Grey would be better, though I'm sure they have all sorts of market research that drove this decision.

Also I'd have a slight disagreement with you, Lee, on West Van. WVan is, I believe, the second richest neighborhood in Canada (behind Kanata), and people generally have more $ than they know what to do with. Note there is a big difference between North Van and West Van. But I bet the more an item is marked up, the bigger it sells because hey it's expensive so it's gotta be good. (Meinhardts in West Van would be a license to print $)

This store seems to be quite some ways off.  The project (525 W. Broadway) has only received a preliminary approval from the Development Permit Board and still has to proceed for final approval which is currently not scheduled.

Privatejet - how did you get the address? I was thinking that the store would be located in the new development on along the rise on Cambie. But if you are right - it would seem to mean that the whole Fairchild building must be coming down or being redeveloped. A new store is then a couple of years down the road. But I am guessing that plans are pretty firm - they even have estimated square footage on the website - and at 55k - it is a pretty big store.

But maybe not so quick.

My company (day job) is working on the 485 West 8th (8th & Cambie) project...(old Dueck location). There will be a large grocery store in that block. Are they planning yet another store for a mere block away?? :blink: And there's a Safeway at 12th & Cambie...and a Caper's will go into that 16th & Cambie spot when it's done.

Holy groceries, Batman!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Deborah - then is the WH going into 485 West 8th project.  That would make much more sense to me.

I honestly couldn't say...aside from confidentiality concerns!! I thought it was supposed to be another retailer, but these things can change between when a project begins and completes (i.e., over the course of four or five years, in this case). And I'm not enough of a muckety-muck to be right up-to-date.

:unsure:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Screw Whole Foods. Those hippy crisps they sell (for like eight bucks a small packet) aren't even made with real hippies. More like the stuff hippies are made of; Soy and tofu. I approached them with a plan to bag a few real hippies. I was either going to cruise up to Tofino, or maybe into Oliver during fruit picking season. Hold up a bag of oregano and a hacky sack, ask who wants to hang out. Bam! Whole Foods can now advertise "NOW WITH MORE REAL HIPPIES" on the packaging. Sadly their lack of vision caused them to decline. They claimed becuase it was impossible to determine if a hippy was fresh by smelling it, I think they were afraid of pissing off the vegans.

I'm not sure about this location for Whole Foods - that particular corner isn't one I'd say has a large disposable income. IMO Kerrisdale or Point Grey would be better, though I'm sure they have all sorts of market research that drove this decision.

I have to disagree with you here. This neighborhood is changing dramatically. One can just look at the rise in house prices in the last 4 years. This is becoming a neighborhood with more disposable cash and being central, it will bring in alot of customers from downtown, Yaletown, Kerrisdale and Point Grey. If they're smart, they'll have free parking. I think this is going to be a huge blow for Capers. If this goes in around the same time as the Caper's on 16th, I don't think Caper's will survive. WH is big enough to compete and when the first opened the WVan location, it was much cheaper than Caper's, Meinhardt's and even Choices. (don't know if it still is, I can't be bothered to cross the Lion's Gate just for groceries)

I totally agree with you Peppyre.

I live in False Creek and I think the average resident would be a WF shopper. Fairview Slopes the same. As well, there is alot of "upscaling" going on in Cambie, Mount Pleasant, City Hall neighborhood, above the hospital etc.. The Cambie corridor is becoming a bit of a shopping/cafe destination.

Anyway, in my hood there are a hell of a lot of Capers bags in people's hands as they trundle around the park w/ their dogs. :smile:

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

when the first opened the WVan location, it was much cheaper than Caper's, Meinhardt's and even Choices. 

Well actually No it isn't.

I spent some time casing the joint when Whole Foods first opened-the posts I made about same can still be found here.

The Produce really was outstanding and the Seafood varied and fresh.

The prices though were :blink: astronomical :blink: -it's not by accident they are known as 'Whole Paycheck'. :raz:

WVan is, I believe, the second richest neighborhood in Canada (behind Kanata), and people generally have more $ than they know what to do with. Note there is a big difference between North Van and West Van. But I bet the more an item is marked up, the bigger it sells because hey it's expensive so it's gotta be good.

Believe it!

LOL!!!

EDIT-This is also Bad News for Granville Island Market-who's many challenges have been dissected here in the past.

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)

Fair enough, Peppyre. Housing prices and income levels aside, I've never actually been into Whole Foods so I don't really know the pricing level. I was imagining Urban Fare (ie $$$), but if the pricing is actually competitive or even cheaper than say Capers, then yes they will most likely succeed.

The one thing about Vancouver housing is, again IMO, most people have gone in as tight as they can afford. Therefore, while the cost of houses increases, the disposable income of the general public may be decreasing. Now wait for interest rates to rise...

Sorry I've gone off topic. As I said, they probably have a lot of market research that is better than the thoughts floating off the top of my head! :raz:

I look forward to WF moving onto this side of the Bridge. :smile:

I spent some time casing the joint when Whole Foods first opened-the posts I made about same can still be found here.

The Produce really was outstanding and the Seafood varied and fresh.

The prices though were  :blink: astronomical :blink: -it's not by accident they are known as 'Whole Paycheck'.  :raz:

Casing the joint??? Who are you, Edward G. Robinson? :raz:

I don't think price is much of a factor here. Sure they're expesive. And yet the expand and expand ... The Cambie Corridor is a perfect place for them ... seems to me there's this little thing called RAV going in that will bring throngs of people right to their doorstep! WH, like Urban Fare, is all about image. Hip people buying hip food.

And I'm ticked I didn't think of the idea first.

A.

Overwaitea (not completely sure of which brand Save-On, Urban Fare or Nestors) is scheduled for the "The Rise" 485 West 8th (@Cambie) being developed by Grosvenor. The Rise has over 200,000 sq. ft of retail/commercial so depending upon how the units are demised it can accomodate a wide variety of retail formats.

The entire Fairchild plaza is being redeveloped into a mixed-use, residential, office retail project with a connection to the RAV station.

I am assuming (and it as an assumption) that the Fairchild redevelopment project will be Whole Foods as the Whole Foods site mentions a 53,750 sq. ft store, while the description of the Fairchild redevelopment in the City report mentions "The project proposes a drug store (36,000 sq.ft.) on Broadway and a grocery store (54,000 sq.ft.) off the lower 8th Avenue corner, and three restaurants with associated outdoor decks."

Edited by privatejet (log)

Overwaitea (not completely sure of which brand Save-On, Urban Fare or Nestors) is scheduled for the "The Rise" 485 West 8th (@Cambie) being developed by Grosvenor. The Rise has over 200,000 sq. ft of retail/commercial so depending upon how the units are demised it can accomodate a wide variety of retail formats.

The entire Fairchild plaza is being redeveloped into a mixed-use, residential, office retail project with a connection to the RAV station.

I am assuming (and it as an assumption)  that the Fairchild redevelopment project will be Whole Foods as the Whole Foods site mentions a 53,750 sq. ft store, while the description of the Fairchild redevelopment in the City report mentions  "The project proposes a drug store (36,000 sq.ft.) on Broadway and a grocery store (54,000 sq.ft.) off the lower 8th Avenue corner, and three restaurants with associated outdoor decks."

Would this mean the Royal Bank on the corner is going ?

I wonder as one is slated to open on the other side of the street from me. And I think the one at Nelson and Howe is slated to be torn down. Hamilton and Nelson is right in the middle of the two existing ones. Hmmmmmm.

Hey , better a bank open there than say, an Earls, A Keg or something like that.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

choices (18th and cambie), capers (soon to open at 16th and cambie), and whole foods all within a 9 block radius. hmmmm.

what ever happened to the thrill of the hunt? like actually going to a true italian deli for italian sausages? getting fruit and vegetables straight from the people who grow them at the farmers market at trout lake? driving up and down Kingsway looking for ghee and garam masala at the Indian supermarkets?

To paraphrase the immortal chuck D: if I ever pay $15 at one of those supertrendymarkets for a bottle of olive oil that you can get on Commercial Drive for 9 bucks, you can slap me right here.

Holy Battle of the Markets!

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. WF is actually not too bad on prices if you don't get sucked into their gourmet foods - and that is a big 'if'. They know where there margins are - and it is in the prepared foods area and they sell alot of cooked foods. They are also really pushing their house brand (365) which is very good value.

WF in West Van is located right by a Super Value and down from Safeway. Just from walking around - it looks like both Super Value and Safeway have been pretty negatively impacted by WF.

I am sure that Overwaitea will bring out their big guns. I am suprised that Vancouver Planning has allowed big stores to open so closely to eachother. Traffic will be insane.

WF in West Van is located right by a Super Value and down from Safeway.  Just from walking around - it looks like both Super Value and Safeway have been pretty negatively impacted by WF.

The Super Value is actually Extra Foods, even though the signs, and Park Royal Directory, say differently.

Albeit Extra Foods West Van style...with their own butchers in the back.

Up until two months ago they carried 21 day aged filet mignon for about $45.00 per kilo.

Now the only grocery store that carries it at Park Royal is Whole Foods and it's priced at.....are you ready for this.....

$86.00 per kilo.