• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goats do Roam in Villages

SWISS_CHEF

I have just tried "Fairview's Goats do Roam in Villages" red (a blend of (probably) Pinotage, Shiraz, Grenache, Cinsaut, Carignan Mourvedre) and the white (a varying blend mostly of Crouchen, Clairette, White Grenache and Muscat and some times Chardonnay).

I read the whole story about how they brought all of their goats to a local village so they could give free milk to children dying of aides and then decided on the name "Goats do Roam in Villages". The story also mentions how the owner was sued by the French and spent $100K in court defending the name. He lost because it won't be called that in the US. He lamented how the money could have been put to better use. Gut wrenching stuff this was.

At first I was struck by the "story" and in fact that is why I ordered two cases of the wine. After some reflection my question is; Is this the proper way to name a wine or are they looking for publicity? Is this a Bonny Doon wanna be? (Old Telegram instead of Vieux Telegraph)

The wine spectator rated the red 2003 a 90. My wife loved the red and the white. I loved the white only. Both could certainly have stood on their own without the controversial name. Do we need more of this kitschy stuff or is this cool with you all?

goats.JPG

Do you happen to have a link to the story? I would love to read it. This wine will be available in Vancouver in about a week and half and the name still stands, so I think it would be an interesting read. Of the bottles you photographed, which vintage is which?

I have been more titillated than amused by the name of this wine since it was first released (originally merely as "Goats do Roam" without the "in the Villages" tag-on. Whatever, one does hate to disagree with the Wine Spectator but following are my own tasting notes for two of the wines in question.

Fairview, Goats do Roam, Rose, 2004: A twin to the 2001 wine of this name and my tasting note for that earlier wine applies fully: Considering that this wine contains Pinotage, Grenache, Gamay Noir, Carignan, Pinot Noir, Muscat de Frontignan and other grapes, one might do better to think of it as a cocktail rather than a mere blend. Fair enough, though, for this wine (which, one should note, has become remarkably popular in England in recent years), has just the right kinds of cherry, strawberry and watermelon flavors to bring a smile to the face. A bit on the sweet side but with plenty of natural acids, this might be a good consideration with French toast, eggs and sausages or chicken salad sandwiches. Score 84. (Tasted 22 Jan 2005)

Charles Back, Fairview Estate, Goats Do Roam in Villages, 2003: From the Paarl sub-region within South Africa, a blend of Shiraz, Sinsault, Carignan, Pinotage and even a bit of Mourvedre thrown in, this was probably a wine as much fun to make as it is to drink. Medium bodied, with good balance between fruits and acids, and just enough hints of the oak casks in which it aged for about six months, the wine is a good match to hot or cold sausages, chicken liver pate or veal dishes. Drink now or in the next year or so. Nothing complex here but a fun wine. Score 86. (Re-tasted 22 Jan 2005)

Do you happen to have a link to the story?  I would love to read it.  This wine will be available in Vancouver in about a week and half and the name still stands, so I think it would be an interesting read.  Of the bottles you photographed, which vintage is which?

The red was 2003 and the white was 2004. My wife found the story on the web (her computer). I will ask her to find it in the morning and post the link.

I have been more titillated than amused by the name of this wine since it was first released (originally merely as "Goats do Roam" without the "in the Villages" tag-on.  Whatever, one does hate to disagree with the Wine Spectator but following are my own tasting notes for two of the wines in question.

Fairview, Goats do Roam, Rose, 2004: A twin to the 2001 wine of this name and my tasting note for that earlier wine applies fully: Considering that this wine contains Pinotage, Grenache, Gamay Noir, Carignan, Pinot Noir, Muscat de Frontignan and other grapes, one might do better to think of it as a cocktail rather than a mere blend. Fair enough, though, for this wine (which, one should note, has become remarkably popular in England in recent years), has just the right kinds of cherry, strawberry and watermelon flavors to bring a smile to the face. A bit on the sweet side but with plenty of natural acids, this might be a good consideration with French toast, eggs and sausages or chicken salad sandwiches. Score 84. (Tasted 22 Jan 2005)

Charles Back, Fairview Estate, Goats Do Roam in Villages, 2003: From the Paarl sub-region within South Africa, a blend of Shiraz, Sinsault, Carignan, Pinotage and even a bit of Mourvedre thrown in, this was probably a wine as much fun to make as it is to drink. Medium bodied, with good balance between fruits and acids, and just enough hints of the oak casks in which it aged for about six months, the wine is a good match to hot or cold sausages, chicken liver pate or veal dishes. Drink now or in the next year or so. Nothing complex here but a fun wine.  Score 86.  (Re-tasted 22 Jan 2005)

My comments are from memory because I didn't take notes.

Goats do Roam in Villages white 2004:

Lots of citrus, thick, rich, high alcohol 14.5% The blend makes this wine very easy to like. it has so many layers to unravel. Best pairings...well goat cheese comes to mind first because I found the wine had a slight cheesy-lemon nose. It's a complex little bugger and you would be happy with it as an apero wine too. My rating 87.

Goats do Roam in Villages Red 2003:

I hate to rock the boat but I was not blown away by this wine. I got a lot of acid and not a lot of fruit. It was more interesting in the nose than the mouth. We opened the wine and drank it over three hours and it never got better in the glass for me. What I did keep saying was that it really had the "gout de terroir" of a French wine, lots of mineral content. I'm pretty sure that if I had tasted this wine blind I would have called it French. That having been said I would expect to find a comparable French wine for slightly less money (remember I am in Switzerland and that may not be the case in the States). My rating 84.

We got a case of each wine and I will be pouring them at our tastings in the coming weeks so I will keep you posted about my client's comments and I will retaste them too. Who knows, maybe we will sell the hell out of it!

I have been more titillated than amused by the name of this wine since it was first released (originally merely as "Goats do Roam" without the "in the Villages" tag-on.

I think those are two different wines. Both seem to be less widely available here in the UK than they were a few years ago, but as I understand it the 'in villages' applies to a slightly more expensive variant of the wine. There also appears to be a third wine 'Goat Rotie' which is slightly more expensive again (although still under £10) and which was also involved in the trademark dispute.

Duncan, Hi....

I'm going on memory here (always fallable) but I think you are correct. The first releases were merely of "Goats do Roam", those later joined by the supposedly more upswing "Goats do Rome in Villages" wines.

My tasting note for the one vintage of the Goat-Rotie wine that I tasted follows.

Fairview, Goat-Rotie, Western Cape, South Africa, 2002: Dark garnet towards royal purple in color, medium- to full-bodied,this blend of 95% Shiraz and 5% Viognier shows firm tannins and a generous array of plum, black cherry and wild berry fruits, those backed up nicely by hints of espresso coffee and tobacco on the moderately long finish. A well made wine despite the silliness of its name. Drink now-2006. Score 89. (Tasted 14 May 2004)

As to legal questions - I'm all for Champagne coming only from Champagne, Port only from Portugal, etc, but with regard to these, such an obvious play on words, I cannot find myself getting excited. Amused perhaps, excited not.

Do you happen to have a link to the story?  I would love to read it.  This wine will be available in Vancouver in about a week and half and the name still stands, so I think it would be an interesting read.  Of the bottles you photographed, which vintage is which?

Hi Peppyre,

Sorry for the delay, we have been involved in a big tasting at the UN in Geneva this week and it has taken all of our spare time.

Here is the link to the story my wife read.

Wine Greetings, Ed

PS: Also, thank you Daniel and Duncan for your posts.