• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you bring your own salt?

[

It's most likely true that they just didn't have it, not even in the back. Hot sauces or hot pepper has little or no use in French cuisine. I've only seen harissa (North African chili paste) used occassionally, in an aioli for instance. But that's about it.

owfff! :shock:

i have had very little exposure to french cuisine,

though i know it is seen as a worldwide standard

for high excellence.

but if what you say above is true and most french

cooking is bland, then i fear i may never get to know

it better......

sorry if i sound unappreciative of a high cultural trend,

but i don't know what else to say. ...

curiosity: i really enjoy various mediterranean food

(e.g. north africa, italian food, some greek food, etc.

though i liberally use the red pepper shaker).

how does french cuisine compare with these?

milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

[

It's most likely true that they just didn't have it, not even in the back. Hot sauces or hot pepper has little or no use in French cuisine. I've only seen harissa (North African chili paste) used occassionally, in an aioli for instance. But that's about it.

owfff! :shock:

i have had very little exposure to french cuisine,

though i know it is seen as a worldwide standard

for high excellence.

but if what you say above is true and most french

cooking is bland, then i fear i may never get to know

it better......

sorry if i sound unappreciative of a high cultural trend,

but i don't know what else to say. ...

curiosity: i really enjoy various mediterranean food

(e.g. north africa, italian food, some greek food, etc.

though i liberally use the red pepper shaker).

how does french cuisine compare with these?

milagai

Where France borders Italy and Spain there is some overlap in style. I know a French couple, the woman is from Alsace and the man is from Le Pays Basque (this is in France) and she told me that when they first met, it seemed to her everything he made reeked of garlic. So there are regional differences that are not well represented outside of their respective regions. Marseilles in particular has a huge North African population so there is a naturally evolving bit of culinary fusion happening there.

Edited by touaregsand (log)