• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saveurs Magazine...en francais

ludja

Bleu D'auvergne just mentioned a recipe from the French language Saveur Magazine (and nicely logged the recipe for Clafourtis de Fevettes au Parmesean et Basilic into recipe gullet.

My curiosity re: the French Edition was piqued when I noticed that this recipe was not in the US version's current edition, so it seems that they have different content.

Can anyone compare and contrast the french vs english language version of the magazines?

Does the french version emphasize French food more (or less!) ?

Is it possible to subscribe to this in the US?

Is is a popular magazine in France?

What are other good cooking, wine, dining magazines in French?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The US and French Saveurs are completely separate, unrelated magazines that just happen to have the same name.

I am not an expert / sophisticated cook but I have had great luck with the recipes from the French version, everything I've tried seems to work out perfectly - even when the ingredients to which I have access are not exactly the same (I live in the UK, we don't have 15 different kinds of cream with varying fat content, for example, or all the different kinds of cooking oils)

Unfortunately, however, subscribing to the French one, if you live outside France, is a huge hassle. They do not accept credit cards, and there is no website. The only ways to pay are: by cheque in Euros, or by bank-to-bank funds transfer which can be obscenely expensive (depends on your bank).

I resorted to paying for my subscription in cash, in person, for two years - by going to their head office in Paris ! After that, however, I basically gave up. I just purchase it when I'm there or get friends to send it to me.

As for French wine magazines, the best consumer one used to be RVF (La Revue de Vin de France) - less pretentious, more practical and in many ways more sophisticated than any US equivalent. It was recently bought by the owners of Marie Claire, and the two main editors (Thierry Desseauve & Michel Bettane) have left to do their own thing. But other good writers at RVF still seem to be on staff, so, on va voir...

Edited by magnolia (log)

In the beginning................... the two were associated by the same ownership. That ended after the first year. Now, the American based Saveur is owned by a publishing group in Florida. The editorial staff is in New York.

You can subscribe to the French based Saveurs (as opposed to Saveur) via expressmagazine, a company based in Canada.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

So, Saveurs focuses on French recipes only?

From the recipe bleudauvergne posted, I guess it might be a blend of classical and updated dishes?

If you read food French mags, is this your favorite?

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I have very strong feelings about French food and wine magazines. I buy them whenever I am in France and pay the stiff import price for them when I am not. The only problem with the rather reasonable subscription price is that it will come several months after it appears in France; but it will also be late when it appears in your local international newsstand. How you acquire them depends on how often you get to France.

I find the recipes and presentations in French food and wine magazines magnatudes superior to American magazines. In fact, I have let lapse the subscriptions to most of my American choices. The recipes are, in my mind, international. Many show France's increasing interest in Asian flavors, or Latin American, African or Indian. Most are just delicious and stylish plates and menus.

Finally, if you are a student of French language and are interested in cooking, I can advise no better avenue than to read, cover to cover, ads included, French food magazines. There is, in the world of linguistics a name for the concept of learning language in the sphere you know in your own tongue. I now read at at least the third grade level! :laugh: Every issue of just about every magazine will report on current restaurants, travel to and within the many diverse departments of France, local fetes. Use them as travel guides; use them for armchair fantasy.

My choices, "Elle a Table", "Saveurs", "New Gault Millau", "Cuisine et Vins", "Thuries", "Terre de Vins".

eGullet member #80.

The only problem with the rather reasonable subscription price is that it will come several months after it appears in France;

Margaret, i politely disagree: i used to order Cusine et Vins de France directly and never had a problem with lagging - the date their site would announce the availablity was the date plus minus i would get my issue. Same experience when i ordered single issues of Saveurs from some CA company (don't have their link handy).

And apropos of nothing, i have a subscription to australian Gourmet Traveller which i get at the same time that it hits newstands in Sydney or Melbourne :biggrin:

The only problem with the rather reasonable subscription price is that it will come several months after it appears in France;

Margaret, i politely disagree: i used to order Cusine et Vins de France directly and never had a problem with lagging - the date their site would announce the availablity was the date plus minus i would get my issue. Same experience when i ordered single issues of Saveurs from some CA company (don't have their link handy).

And apropos of nothing, i have a subscription to australian Gourmet Traveller which i get at the same time that it hits newstands in Sydney or Melbourne :biggrin:

Helenas, your response is not only polite but joyous good news! I spoke on my experience with my local newsstand, which is usually at least 2 months behind what I am able to buy in France. Obviously, one's mileage can vary. Thanks for the good info.

eGullet member #80.

My choices, "Elle a Table", "Saveurs", "New Gault Millau", "Cuisine et Vins", "Thuries", "Terre de Vins".
Is it too much trouble to ask you--or anyone who knows these magazines--to briefly tell the rest of us something about them--level of difficulty of recipes, food writing, whatever it is that you like about them? it would be fun to investigate them but it would be helpful to know where to begin. merci.

Is it too much trouble to ask you--or anyone who knows these magazines--to briefly tell the rest of us something about them--level of difficulty of recipes, food writing, whatever it is that you like about them? it would be fun to investigate them but it would be helpful to know where to begin. merci.

Linda, I find the presentations not as dumbed down as in American magazines. I guess it depends on your age and experience. I am older than God. I open an American mag and say, "I've been there and done that for decades. Sigh." I open a French mag or (Australian)" Vogue Entertaining" or (British) "Food and Travel", want to eat everything on every page, and can save issues for months or years of future perusal. If you can cook out of US "Gourmet" and if you can hack very elementary French, these recipes are within your reach. Go to a newsstand and read any of these magazines. If any ring your chords, buy one and see if it is your style. In any event, it is cheaper than a matinee showing of a pulp movie. Enjoy! :biggrin:

eGullet member #80.

I would love to know if there have been changes in the management.

There have been changes. The assistant editor is new and she's doing a good job.

I suspected that there was something new chez Saveurs. All I can say is bravo. I was given a 2 year subscription of this a few years ago, and spent lots of time in 2000-2002 loving it. We then renewed for a year, and the content really thinned around mid 2003. The issues were less about food and cooking than they resembled cover to cover travel brochures, when we did follow their affordable bonnes addresses in France we were dissapointed and I seriously wondered what they were basing their recommendations on. The recipes lost much of their French touch and became more and more obtuse. We drifted away and opted not to spend the 4€50 (that's about 7 dollars, right?) for awhile.

My husband picked up a the latest Saveurs issue for me and I was pleasantly impressed with what I saw as a marked difference since my last contact - seasonal general articles applicable to all of France - lots of really nice ideas that focus on the food we find here. Very refreshing. I was quite frankly seduced by the photograph of the carpaccio de radis roses a la creme de chevre and loved the idea of roasted poivre de sichuan in a sabayon over asparagus - good lively material and recipes about what to do with what we are finding at the markets here and now, a refreshing lifestyle piece on cooking with children (with cookie recipes including some adorable strawberry cream puffs), an informative, concise and well rounded piece on the Beaujolais with recipes and addresses (haven't tried them yet but will), in addition to a very intense and beautiful focus on the international (Brazil) with recipes. Very nice. Much more well rounded and a laudable improvement in general French cooking. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Another magazine I enjoyed recently was the Cuisine et Terroirs 21st issue which my husband also picked up for me last week. I found the articles to be well written and informative although the artistic and creative direction is not as strong as Saveurs. Many of the 'recettes de saison' are basic traditional recipes, and involved something I had recently prepared, an okay but not immculate article on terrines (I will admit I've spent more time than the average researching terrines lately), a piece on preparing a gigot d'agneau - some interesting tdbits there. Best of all, there was a well executed appendix that explained the reasons for the suggested wines for each 'recette de saison' with photo references to the recipes - excellent. A piece on how to choose local vegetables and an explanation of how collective associations for individual farms and pricing works, also information on farms where you can go and pick your own produce, which I found very interesting and a list of Fresh producers baskets city dwellers can order, a nice touch. There was also an exclusive feature with Olivier Poussier, a Meilleur sollelier du monde, who discusses basics of certain wine affinities with classic dishes, a very accesible piece, followed by a list of recommendations for wines to buy for the cave, which I found rich in information and well written. This magazine has got art direction like Femme Actuelle but don't be fooled by the cover, the content is rich.

Thanks for all the great info folks--listing some of your favorite mags, how to order and some impressions on the differences.

I love the idea of bolstering my rusty French skills while obtaining great recipes and ideas at the same time. And now I have a good reason to nonchalantly hang out in Cafe de la Presse in SF and peruse the French magazines! I forgot about this cafe until after the thread started but it should be a good starting point armed with the information here.

Any other comments re:the points LindaK asked above would be great too if other people have opinions.

Ultimately, choices like this come down to personal preferences, skill level, style, etc but any aids towards discerning this for us 'differently-abled' French speakers/readers is great! One way to discuss, I guess, is via comparisons to other mags that people might know about as Margaret mentioned.

Saveurs is sounding pretty interesting based on some of the descriptions so far--re: relatively high sophistication and interesting recipes--including regional dishes.

Edited by ludja (log)

Saveurs is sounding pretty interesting based on some of the descriptions so far--re: relatively high sophistication and interesting recipes--including regional dishes.

Saveurs has excellent photo spreads so even if you're struggling with French there is plenty to feast your eyes on while you're getting acclimated. The way it's organized as a magazine is easy to follow in general even if you're missing the language skills. Many magazines have tried to imitate Saveurs and each has their target market. There are some cheap magazines that also have some really good recipes in every issue. The best thing to do is to give an issue a whirl and you can pretty much tell for yourself pretty quickly if the recipes are any good. I've been dissapointed with Saveurs restaurant recommendation section because it seems they are not choosing based on quality as much as how pretty the places are. Then again the tourist spoilage factor could be in effect (getting a mention in Saveurs in their carnet could innundate small gems in certain seasons and spoil them...) Their regional pieces always give a nice feel of the place they are covering.

upthread somebody recommended Thuries Gastronomie magazine....Strong endorsement, great photos, great chefs (in France), great recipies with how to and progressive photos, and if you are in to making sweets (I'm not), they have many recipies too.

There number (33) 5 63 56 16 06...1 year (10 issues large) 122.00 Euros for other countries outside Europe.

upthread somebody recommended Thuries Gastronomie magazine....Strong endorsement, great photos, great chefs (in France), great recipies with how to and progressive photos, and if you are in to making sweets (I'm not), they have many recipies too.

There number (33) 5 63 56 16 06...1 year (10 issues large) 122.00 Euros for other countries outside Europe.

Thank you, Carsten, I'll definitely keep an eye out for Thuries. What is the price at the newsstand in France? Do you know?

If you can cook out of US "Gourmet" and if you can hack very elementary French, these recipes are within your reach.  Go to a newsstand and read any of these magazines.  If any ring your chords, buy one and see if it is your style. In any event, it is cheaper than a matinee showing of a pulp movie.

My French is good and Gourmet mostly bores me, so these would be fun if I can find them. Foreign language books aren't hard to find where I live but speciality magazines seem to be. My local Borders carries the usual Marie Claire Maison and Paris Match (which always have a few recipes) but nothing specifically culinary. Time to start hunting or planning an over-due trip to Paris...

My French is good and Gourmet mostly bores me, so these would be fun if I can find them.  Foreign language books aren't hard to find where I live but speciality magazines seem to be.  My local Borders carries the usual Marie Claire Maison and Paris Match (which always have a few recipes) but nothing specifically culinary. Time to start hunting or planning an over-due trip to Paris...

Paris would certainly be more fun, but you might have luck over in Cambridge.

Have you looked at Schoenhofs or Out of Town News?

Just an idea, I haven't been to either of them for awhile and back then I wasn't on the prowl for food magazines. :smile:

My French is good and Gourmet mostly bores me, so these would be fun if I can find them.  Foreign language books aren't hard to find where I live but speciality magazines seem to be.  My local Borders carries the usual Marie Claire Maison and Paris Match (which always have a few recipes) but nothing specifically culinary. Time to start hunting or planning an over-due trip to Paris...

Or you could just request/plead/beg that they carry whatever foreign language magazine you would like to buy. Remember to bring to the attention of your dealer that professional chefs are also always on the lookout for these magazines. My dealer, in fact, was delighted to have me bring him a copy of Thuries, telling me that he had several chefs who would leap at the chance to buy it casually.

eGullet member #80.

Have you looked at Schoenhofs or Out of Town News?

Just an idea, I haven't been to either of them for awhile and back then I wasn't on the prowl for food magazines.  :smile:

Or you could just request/plead/beg that they carry whatever foreign language magazine you would like to buy.  Remember to bring to the attention of your dealer that professional chefs are also always on the lookout for these magazines.  My dealer, in fact, was delighted to have me bring him a copy of Thuries, telling me that he had several chefs who would leap at the chance to buy it casually.

Both good suggestions, thanks. I don't think Schoenhofs carries periodicals but OOTN I'll bet has at least one of these. And I'll bring everyone's list with me, I can probably convince them to try ordering others.