• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saveurs Magazine...en francais

ludja

Any comments on Regal?

How does it compare to Saveurs and is it possible to subscribe to in the US? As I understand it, Regal is relatively new, about two-three years old.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Any comments on Regal? 

How does it compare to Saveurs and is it possible to subscribe to in the US?  As I understand it, Regal is relatively new, about two-three years old.

Régal focuses on products and home cooking. It has good articles on wines, compares products, and is not overly chef-oriented. It has a much "younger" feeling than other French food magazines. I don't know about subscribing in the US, I'll try and check.

Thank you, ptpois and John, for the comments and information regarding availability! I didn't think to check on Amazon regarding a subscription.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Any comments on Regal? 

How does it compare to Saveurs and is it possible to subscribe to in the US?  As I understand it, Regal is relatively new, about two-three years old.

I buy both Regal and Saveurs but I think if I had to choose between the two I would go with Regal. I always enjoy their articles and they have a lot of information on different products, which I really like.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Any comments on Regal? 

I buy both Regal and Saveurs but I think if I had to choose between the two I would go with Regal. I always enjoy their articles and they have a lot of information on different products, which I really like.

Another feature that I have used in the What's in the Markets.... pinned thread are Regal's lists of what's available and abundant; they then publish several recipes utilizing these fresh products. Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I found a few eGullet digests courtesy of bleudauvergne from last spring on eGullet. Perusing them also helps give an idea of the content for Saveurs and Regal.

Saveurs digest

Regal digest

Amazon (US) shows Regal - 11 issues / 12 months $52.41 ($4.76/issue)

This is for an Austrian magazine. It deals with the food industry but not recipes. The French magazine is published bi-monthly if I am not mistaken. Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Amazon (US) shows Regal - 11 issues / 12 months $52.41 ($4.76/issue)

This is for an Austrian magazine. It deals with the food industry but not recipes. The French magazine is published bi-monthly if I am not mistaken.

Ooh..thanks for pointing this out. The US Amazon listing does not give much info, but they do list the publisher to be: "Regal Verlags Gmbh" which appears to be Austrian as you mention. I also found a webpage for the Austrian Regal magazine as well.

To find out who the publisher is for the French Regal magazine I looked on French Amazon. I did not find it listed there though.

The publishing house behind the French Régal is Uni Editions, and you can get a subscription here: http://www.dossierfamilial.com/boutique/in...?boutique=regal .

Because it's in French only, here's the lowdown: the rates are 19 euros for a year (6 issues) if you're in France, 27.16 euros if you're abroad. In the latter case, you can't subscribe online, but you can call them for instructions at +33 (0)1 43 23 45 72.

Clotilde.