• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine - Diversity and Deviled Eggs.

She also went to Angelo's.  A great Italian bakery/deli/specialty foods store.  She brought me back some mascarpone( Im going to bake a cake this weekend), halvah and best of all  KASHA.  She knew I was craving my kasha and bows.  That's now on my list of foods to make.

I love Angelo's! Do you feel the quality of their prepared stuff has gone down? The cakes just don't look as good as they used to. But the deli can't be beat.

There is a great butcher in the strip plaza across from Angelo's and an all you can eat sushi place that is decent.

ok, here is the dessert from the birthday dinner we made in Florida. There are two pineapple upside down cakes. One is a ginger-coconut variation. They came from the September/October 2004 issue of Cooks Illustrated. They were stupendious. Very moist and the fresh pineapple was fabulous. The birthday boy loved them.

gallery_31539_1218_187485.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_456250.jpg

Here are all the pics and prices of what we bought today.

I picked up these natural fruit leather strips for our neice Chelsea. They were on clearance for .10 each. Hopefully, she'll like them. I had a rasberry one and it wasnt too bad.

gallery_31539_1218_537605.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_324599.jpg

This was 8.89

gallery_31539_1218_815906.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_421625.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_690091.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_91684.jpg

She also went to Angelo's.  A great Italian bakery/deli/specialty foods store.  She brought me back some mascarpone( Im going to bake a cake this weekend), halvah and best of all  KASHA.  She knew I was craving my kasha and bows.  That's now on my list of foods to make.

I love Angelo's! Do you feel the quality of their prepared stuff has gone down? The cakes just don't look as good as they used to. But the deli can't be beat.

There is a great butcher in the strip plaza across from Angelo's and an all you can eat sushi place that is decent.

I've only recently starting going there, so I wouldnt know. I thought they had some nice looking breads and pastries, but the last time we were there together, we tasted a few minatures and we werent that impressed. The deli is really great though. They make tasty sandwiches.

If we ate red meat, Id probably run right over to check out the meat market :smile:

Did I mention that Robin and I dont eat red meat?  I'll get into more of that later. 

OK, I think I might have missed it. I'd love to hear why.

The title of this blog probably should have been called 365 ways to prepare chicken since we eat so much of it. I stopped eating red meat when I was 21. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and my dr. told me that red meat contributes to inflamation. I never really ate that much of it anyway, so I gave it up completely. A few years later my ex stopped eating chicken so I began to cook a lot of vegetarian food. I still always ate poultry and fish.

When I met Robin, she ate meat. In fact, she was raised on meat and potatoes. After all, this area is cow country. I still get some strange looks when I pass up steak at BBQ's. When I'd come visit Robin, she would request that I make her meatloafs and she'd still order burgers when we went to dinner. I think we'd been together about 4 months and she decided to give meat up as well. She says she doesnt miss it at all.

Robin do you care to comment?

Sometimes I really miss a filet or a pot roast, but for the most part I dont miss red meat. When I moved here, I added pork to my diet. I dont really care for ham, but I love pork tenderloin( afterall, pork is the other white meat).

edited because i said "give me up" instead of "give meat up"

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

For lunch today I decided on York Street Kitchen( Thanks Alex for the recommendation)

gallery_31539_1218_869713.jpg

YSK is a funky little bistro that serves an ecletic menu.

gallery_31539_1218_364985.jpg

Nothing on the special menu struck my fancy, so I used their inventive make your own sandwich sheet. You pick the meat, breads and condiments and then they bring you some very tasty morsels on fabulous bread.

gallery_31539_1218_102434.jpg

I chose smoked turkey with local goat cheese on 12 grain bread. Mustard, mayo, lettuce, onion, sprouts and olives rounded out the sandwich. I also had a side of kettle cooked potato chips. The sandwich was 5.50 plus 1.50 for the goat cheese. The chips cost an additional 1.50.

I spied a butter tart on the sweet platter and since I knew Robin loves them, I thought Id be a peach and pick one up for her.

gallery_31539_1218_621291.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_460582.jpg

unfortunatly it looked a lot better than it tasted. Robin said it had an "off" taste. I had a bite and it tasted like fried food. I think the odors from their kitchen have permeated the baked goods.

I inquired about the bread because it was really tasty. They told me the bread came from breadworks, a local bakery.

I set out to find some of that fabulous bread. On the way, I came across this

gallery_31539_1218_134526.jpg. Even the name was fabulous, so I ventured inside.

Wow, I could have stayed there for hours, browsing all the cookbooks and goodies, but I only had a short time before my appt.

gallery_31539_1218_249695.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_83657.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_84864.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_233810.jpg

The owner was really nice. I had a nice chat with her and she gave me some more recommendations to try in Stratford.

I finally made it to the bakery. I passed two more bakeries on my way, but I just didnt have the time to stop.

Breadworks

gallery_31539_1218_585114.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_192847.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_326848.jpg

When I went inside, I dismayed to see there was no more bread for the day. However, I asked the owner if any other place in town had his bread and he directed me to a pasta shop that carries it. He called for me and the pasta shop said they would hold a 12 grain loaf for me.( picture to come later). I told the owner there was something vaugely familar about his bread and I asked him if he ever had the bread at "Today's Bread" in Goderich, ON. He told me that he trained that owner and the recipes were basically the same. No wonder it was familar. My Mother-In-Law lives in Goderich and I've had that bread many times.

On to the pasta shop which was really cool.

gallery_31539_1218_61419.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_666506.jpg

I went inside, looked around and bought the loaf. Once again, I wish I had more time, but it was almost 4pm by this time and I had to get home. I wanted to talk to the owner, but she had stepped out.

gallery_31539_1218_608114.jpg

Turns out I didnt have to rush, because we ended up going out to dinner.

edited for more pics

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Randi, those pineapple upside down cakes look awesome!

You had an adventure today; thanks for sharing it with us.

So what's on tap tomorrow?

Michael aka "Pan"

Randi, those pineapple upside down cakes look awesome!

You had an adventure today; thanks for sharing it with us.

So what's on tap tomorrow?

Thanks for responding Pan, Im glad someone is reading :rolleyes:

Tomorrow a visit to a turkey farm( just the retail store part), and hopefully, if I can get out of bed early, to a bakery in Robin's hometown. I'll be making dinner and maybe a few extra items.

[...]Tomorrow a visit to a turkey farm( just the retail store part), and hopefully, if I can get out of bed early, to a bakery in Robin's hometown.    I'll be making dinner and maybe a few extra items.

Gobble, gobble. :laugh:

Sleep well; see you tomorrow.

Michael aka "Pan"

Im having a craving for some Jewish Comfort food.  Since I cant make the kasha, I decided on a noodle pudding( kugel).  Im using a recipe from Martha Stewart's everyday food magazine.  A reader sent in the recipe and I've made it before.  It doesnt taste like my mom's, but it does taste good.

CaliPoutine,

Your kugel looks delicious. I have decided I am going to make my mother's recipe for Shavuot this year. All of my friends's will probably scream at me about all of the calories, but that is just too bad.:raz:

The recipe in Martha Stewart's cookbook is similar to the one my mother used. Except hers doesn't have cream cheese in it. I have put her recipe in eGullet.

Marion's Noodle Pudding

Here is a link to a Jewish Recipe site that I use from time-to-time. It is interesting to see the variations of the same recipe:

Classic Jewish Food Recipes

Thanks for responding Pan, Im glad someone is reading  :rolleyes:

Tomorrow a visit to a turkey farm( just the retail store part), and hopefully, if I can get out of bed early, to a bakery in Robin's hometown.    I'll be making dinner and maybe a few extra items.

Cali, the only reason we're not all posting like mad is because we're too busy salivating!! The pictures of the little food boutiques are too cute!! Isn't Stratford interesting??? And then, different places prepare boxed lunches so people can picnic by the water, with the swans.

The birthday cakes looked wonderful, and downright healthy! Looking forward to today's goodies!

Robin - Do you enjoy the traditional Jewish stuff too?

For the most part yes although honestly I find some of it bland. My big kick is seeing how nostalgic she gets, the warm comforting feeling and the evident glow. Like when we are travelling and we stop at a deli and she has to sample the black and white. I swear her eyes gleam. For me.... it's her home made matzah ball soup and latkes, my eyes they focus. lol Where's the utensils? *smile*

I have to add a note of thanks to Robin. I had oatmeal for dinner last night and I tried brown sugar on it instead of the old white...........wow, I dig that combo. Great tip!

Oatmeal for dinner? Well then you better try my next tip. I love to put a spoonful of peanut butter in my oat meal for protein sake. *smile*

Good morning everyone,

Last night was a late one for me. Lots of pictures to upload and post.

I had planned to get up really early, but my cozy comfortable bed kept calling my name. So, no bakery trip today. I just spoke with the owner of the bakery and I decided to get up early( really, I will) tomorrow and go. Saturday is a better day anyway, as they have many more donut flavors for sale.

I just ate breakfast. Same as yesterday, a piece of noodle pudding. Does anyone know if this freezes well? There is a whole whack of it left and since Robin doesnt care of it, I'm the only consumer of it. Hopefully, I can pass some off to our 7yr old niece, if she comes for a visit tomorrow.

Yesterday, I thought about giving a smidgen of it to the boys on their food, but when I came home in the afternoon, Robin informed me that Oliver was a bad boy. He managed to pull down from a low shelf, an entire HUGE brand new box of Trader Joe's dog biscuits. He ate every last one of them. Harley wasnt acting too guilty so I doubt he had anything to do with it. As my niece is fond of saying " Oliver is a khazerh(pig)" . I'm so proud that Chelsea's learned a few yiddish phrases, lol.

I've come to realize this week, that there are so many recipes and so little time. I still want to make the kasha, Pam R's kugel( Robin thought it sounded fantastic and so did I), and dessert with the cajeta. I've decided on crepes. Anyone have a fool proof recipe for the crepes?

I also want to bake The Classic Vanilla Layer Cake with mascarpone buttercream and rasberries that I spied in the new issue of Fine Cooking.

For now, though, I'll concentrate on today.

For dinner tonight I think I'll grill up those chicken breasts after allowing them to bathe in a mixture of lemon, garlic, rosemary and evoo. I'll pick up some whole wheat greek pita and we'll have those with the tzazaki sauce Robin picked up yesterday. I make a great sauce with drained yogurt cheese, garlic and drained, shreeded english cucumber but I just dont have the time. And, I swear I'm going to make the oven fries. I had planned on making them with the roast chicken, but there wasnt enough room in the oven.

Im really curious how they will taste using the method of blanching first and then baking. Normally, when I make oven fries, I cut thick wedges, spray with olive oil and bake. We always enjoyed them, and I guess I just kinda ignored the "leathery" texture. The article in Fine Cooking says by using the blanch and cook method and by using russetts, you can avoid that problem.

Now, Im off to the turkey farm and to pick up some rhubarb at the berry farm down the road. Anyone have any good cake recipes for rhubarb? Preferably with no strawberries( Robin is allergic)

Oh and tonight I have an interview at a Bistro in Grand Bend. Wish me luck :wink:

Same as yesterday, a piece of noodle pudding.  Does anyone know if this freezes well? 

[...]

Oh and tonight I have an interview at a Bistro in Grand Bend.  Wish me luck  :wink:

I freeze kugle all the time - it's never as good as it it fresh, but it'll still be good :wink:

Good luck!

I'm testing recipes all day and I'm off to the stores to get ingredients - thanks to you I'll pick up some buckwheat and onions while I'm out. I'm sharing your craving!!

Good luck!

We love Cooking Up A Storm! Nice owners, too. Did you check out their vintage salt and pepper shakers? Two years ago we couldn't resist buying two sets -- a flute- and harp-playing tomato and ear of corn, and a jogging fork and spoon. Too silly. They've adapted well to their new roles, though, of mascots to our Hello Kitty wind-up toy.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On to the pasta shop which was really cool...

Wow! It looks like they have pre-made lasagnas and other dishes in the cooler.

What was in the main case? It looks like some cheeses and sauces, too. Are those pans of pasta at the bottom?

Never in my life have I ever seen a pasta shop. The things you learn and see on eGullet!

Thanks for sharing this, CaliPoutine!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Re the red meat and inflammation:

Have you noticed a difference in your inflammation since you gave up red meat? (I know that's a tough one to quantify.)

Did the doctor specify what it is about red meat that contributes to inflammation? I ask this because it may be worth more investigation on your part. My best friend, a physician herself, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Her literature search turned up what she thinks is convincing evidence that a strict limitation on saturated fats helps mitigate the progress of the disease, and she changed her diet accordingly some years ago. She eats no more than 5 grams of saturated fat per day. That means no red meat, no dark chicken meat (or skin), no cheese, no butter, skim milk only...the list goes on. There's no restriction on unsaturated fats, but further research into the fats led her into the Omega-3 vs. Omega-6 fatty acids and the content of each in various cooking oils. One school of thought among dieticians and epidemiologists maintains that the Omega-6 fatty acids contribute to autoinflammatory (and/or autoimmune - I'm not clear on the distinction) diseases. The researchers in that camp point to the increased use of corn oil and corn oil products 20 to 30 years ago as being roughly coincident with the rise in autoimmune diseases in the United States, and say that it's no accident. These things are, of course, difficult to prove because there are so many variables in people's lives, lifestyles, and genetics. At any rate, since she's playing for all the marbles here, she sticks to canola and olive oil - those two have the best combinations of Omega 3 vs. Omega 6, and low saturated fat content. She thinks it might be helping, but there's no way really for her to know.

Sorry if this is too far off-topic. I'm neither a dietician nor a physician, but I find this stuff pretty interesting, and it's quite relevant to issues like psoriatic arthritis. If you feel like expanding on what you've learned or experienced, I'd like to read more about it.

On another note: too bad about the restaurant in London not allowing you to take photos! Does he know he just lost your business? Do you suppose he reads eGullet? :biggrin:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Robin - Do you enjoy the traditional Jewish stuff too?

For the most part yes although honestly I find some of it bland. My big kick is seeing how nostalgic she gets, the warm comforting feeling and the evident glow. Like when we are travelling and we stop at a deli and she has to sample the black and white. I swear her eyes gleam. For me.... it's her home made matzah ball soup and latkes, my eyes they focus. lol Where's the utensils? *smile*

Randi and Robin,

Firstly, you have to come to Israel and I will show you both that Jewish food is not just Ashkenazi food. It is so much more.

Secondly, when you do come and visit, I amd going to teach Randi how to be Israeli and go to the restaurant in London and take pictures anyway! :raz:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

For the most part yes although honestly I find some of it bland.

Firstly, you have to come to Israel and I will show you both that Jewish food is not Ashkenazi food. It is so much more.

Not that there's anything wrong with Ashkenazi food :raz: . I've never thought of it as being bland though... unless you're talking about heat/spice?