• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine - Diversity and Deviled Eggs.

Im partial to a cake though.  Any suggestions?

gallery_25969_665_175377.jpg

no cake, just spoon! though it might be nice drizzled over some banana loaf... or a spoon (spoon is the way to go..... :wub: )

nice blog!

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

...I love a lot of things. Golf, curling, working out at the gym, antiques, some gardening, and the list goes on...

She's a total foodie, and I reap all the benefits...

I don't suppose some of those benefits extend to treats in the golf bag? I'd love to switch up my usual at-the-turn meal of a protein bar and a bottle of water...

Loving this so far, by the way :biggrin:

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

I am entranced.  Cake.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

But how? As a filling? Frosting? Part of the cake batter?

I imagine you could put a layer of the cajeta on the bottom of the cake pan and then add the batter. Then when it's done and before it cools, turn it out. But this is in my imagination. Another thing might be to try a seven minute frosting using cajeta instead of sugar. But I don't know how that would turn out either.

Maybe you should just get a spoon. Wooden or metal is the question. I think a wooden spoon would be better.

Or you could try a flan.

I forgot, duh, I made a cheesecake this weekend with cajeta!

uh, cream cheese, cajeta and a couple of bananas, folded into whipped double cream, chocolate biscuit base, more cajeta drizzled on top once it had set, then little chunks of fudge scattered over it.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Looking forward to your blog and to meeting you both in a couple of months in Ann Arbor. As a once-a-year visitor to your part of the world, I'm wondering if you ever go to Stratford or St. Mary's to eat.

Hi Alex,

We're looking forward to meeting you too. We've eaten in Stratford a few times, but nothing that remarkable. I've never eaten in St. Mary's but we did visit a cheese shop there( the name escapes me now) that was small but impressive.

I'll be going to Stratford on Thursday for a dr.appt. Do you have an suggestions?

For dinner I'm very fond of Sapori Pasta House. We'll be eating there both nights when we're in Stratford later this month. We also like Tango Coffee Bistro for pretty decent lunch and brunch food in a fun atmosphere. Here's an eG Stratford thread.

Thanks Alex, Tango looks good. I think I'll try that for lunch on Thursday.

Not to throw out too many choices, but how could I have forgotten about York Street Kitchen?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Isn't it funny how the mind works?  I've come to realize that this ole brain of mine has the ability to absolutely ignore or disregard information that would obviously be in my best interest.  Having been a smoker for 24 years and recently quitting for good (it's been 6 weeks) provides an excellent example of what I am referring to.  I knew all of the health risks associated with smoking but still did it.  The same sort of disregard happens when it comes to food, or probably better stated as food habits.

Congratulations on becoming a non-smoker! Does food taste any different to you now? Has quitting smoking changed your eating habits?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Poutine,

With the cajeta you can do 2 very traditional Mexican desserts - Crepas de Cajeta or Flan de Cajeta - for the crepas, make up some crepes and heat up some cajeta, fold one crepe in quarters on a dish and drizzle a ladle of the warm cajeta over it and srpinkle with chopped nuts - or the flan, just top a dense flan with a BIG dollop of the stuff!

You can also use it between layers of a cake and as a frosting, or on toast with butter, or maybe instead of the honey on the peanut butter?

You can also make some crumbly short-bread and sandwich 2 cookies with it, or churn it into alost reday vanilla ice cream, or top the ice cream with it, or swirl it into rice pudding.. or eat it form the jar....

Cajeta is like dulce de leche, except it is made with goat's milk... there are several variations - you got the one with a bit of sherry added, the translation is sort of like "wined" - there is also "quemada" which is darker and burnt a bit more and "vainilla" which has added.... vanilla!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Hey how swinging to have the voice of ruralish Ontario a la blog!

I have a Mexican friend who makes small thin crepes, adds a generous smear of Cajeta and folds them in four like a "suzette" served warm with the cajeta all melty and....(veering off into an alternate food fantasy at the moment!)

OOh I had another thought-staying with the Mexican theme - perhaps a mexican chocolate ganache drizzled over the crepes??

RE: devilled eggs in Ontario: my Mom was a 50's immigrant who loves cooking and was keen to integrate. She introduced the "italian egss diavolo" the recipe is to your taste

a whack of finely chopped parsley

tomato paste - just enough to lend a gentle rosy hue

capers - a few

anchovy - maybe one

mined green onions

dribble of olive oil.

(actually we use something called "sugo lampo" rather than tomato paste. You can buy it at Italian deli's or bakeries, it's tomato paste fortified with onion, celery etc. very delicious.

These eggs diavolo are perfectly matched with cocktails and plenty of them!!

No Frills = No thrills but in Toronto we like to call it "Cheap Thrills"

Have you tried any eating in St Catharine's?

Hawkins cheese crunchies are vile and taste nothing of cheese. While the Hostess cheesie is from time to time a thing of beauty!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

First, thank you for this blog - I am enjoying a peek into the lives of others who enjoy food as much as I do.

Second, as for Robin's breakfast choice:

Now my third breakfast choice broke the mold. I turned to the toaster. Two slices, never ever burnt. If that happened the birds in the backyard received something beyond the seeds in the feeder. I like my toast just slightly golden. Immediately after popping from the toaster I would slather it with the first layer of precious peanut butter. To this day I adore PB, it's just not for breakfast anymore. *smile * The second layer was honey. Again timing was important, the honey needed to be added while the toast was still warm ensuring that a slight melt would occur thus bringing the two flavours together. Creamy goodness. This particular breakfast brought concern from mother. I don't ever recall her worrying about the cereal selections I made or the addition of the brown sugar to them, but when it came to my two pieces of toast with two layers of goodness she felt the need to comment on calories.

Not only is PB and honey one of my all time favorites that no one I know seems to share, but recently as a thank you of sorts, my job gave all their employees a 20 minute consultation with a nutritionist/dietician - and she recommended PB on whole wheat toast as a great breakfast choice- complex carbs and protein. In fact she said it was a better choice than cereal in the morning. Everyone around here has gone PB crazy, PB for breakfast, PB on apples, on bananas, on just about anything. So go ahead and enjoy. Although she didn't approve of the honey, but we can just ignore that part. :wink:

Hmm... cajeta.

I found a link for a recipe I've been wanting to try for awhile; it's a Mexican Tres Leches (Three Milks) Cake by Bayless!

Yes, Yes, Yes.

The cajeta is mixed with cream and evaporated milk; then poured over the warm cake to soak in. The cake is iced with whipped cream spiked or not with orang liqueur.

Other ideas:

over poached pears

over apple fritters (sliced rings, +/- ice cream)

over warm gingerbread

a dip for raw apples

over roasted or sauteed bananas or pineapples (+/- ice cream)

Thanks for blogging; it's been fun so far! :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Wow, what great suggestions for the cajeta. I'm going to ponder that one for a bit.

Now, remind me never to stop at the supermarket on the way back from the gym. I was starving.

The largest supermarket in town is Hansen's. It's amazingly well stocked for a small town. They carry lemon grass, arugula( but not the baby kind), and watercress. In the past there have been one or two things I've looked there for that they didnt carry.

One of the things I love is their fresh salads/fruit bar. They prepare quite a few different kinds( ie: California salad( gotta love that one), ceasar, mixed fruits, etc). Hansens gives them a one day shelf life so the next day they are reduced by half price.

I picked up a veggie crunch bowl today. Cut up raw carrots, celery, brocoli and cauliflower with ranch dressing. I ate that on my way home.

gallery_25969_665_248566.jpg

gallery_25969_665_443820.jpg

I also picked up some trout(6.99lb on sale) for dinner tonight as well as some Canadian ground beef and pork. I promised my niece Id make her some meatballs. You'll see those along with some turkey meatballs for Robin and myself on Friday.

gallery_25969_665_456167.jpg

Did I mention that Robin and I dont eat red meat? I'll get into more of that later.

In addition to the veggies. I made a piece of rye toast using my dwindling supply of Zingerman's rye bread. I picked up the bread on my last trip to Ann Arbor last month. I had some cottage cheese and blackberries with the toast. I like to put my cottage cheese on the toast. Beverage was water.

gallery_25969_665_50899.jpg

Be back later with pictures.

edited to add pics

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I'm so happy to see you blogging! My mom was from Thunder Bay and she always made deviled eggs. I really never thought anything of it as I grew up with them but now I learn it's an Ontario thing! too funny. She had the tupperware deviled egg holder, haha!

They aren't just an Ontario thing - I never realized they weren't eating them in other places though. I haven't seen one in a long long time, but as a kid they were often served.... I don't miss them :biggrin:

Deviled eggs are quite pervasive here in Wisconsin. It never occured to me that they were a regional thing. Perhaps there's a connection to Euchre. :raz:

Good morning! Cali you have been so busy already!

1) I'd love to see pictures of packaging with stuff in French and English, when I visited my cousins in Calgary when I was little it was so interesting!

2) I was telling my hubby about your blog last night and the deviled egg thing and he said he never met anyone who ate so many hardboiled and deviled eggs as when he met my mom and I. Too funny!!

3) There is a recipe in this months (?) Food and Wine for a dulche de leche bread pudding!!!!

Lunch Today:

I ate some leftover chicken and smashed spuds. They were a tad dry so I topped them with a bit of light sour cream. I really dont like eating a hot lunch. That must run in my family because my sister is the exact same way. I prefer a salad or a sandwich. However, waste not want not so I sacrificed today and ate leftovers. I didnt eat the leftover totally overcooked roasted veggies though, Oliver and Harley enjoyed those on their kibble.

For my beverage I had this. I took a picture of the french side.

gallery_25969_665_248939.jpg

Currently, the chicken carcass is on the stove with a quartered onion and some baby carrots. Im making a quick stock.

gallery_25969_665_398811.jpg

gallery_25969_665_421499.jpg

Im having a craving for some Jewish Comfort food. Since I cant make the kasha, I decided on a noodle pudding( kugel). Im using a recipe from Martha Stewart's everyday food magazine. A reader sent in the recipe and I've made it before. It doesnt taste like my mom's, but it does taste good.

Robin has requested I bake, so I think the banana bars will be the next project.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

It never occurred to me that deviled eggs might be a regional thing! They're one of my mother's standard party/picnic/potluck foods, and very popular with our clan in central California. (She's originally from Florida, so maybe that's a factor.) Funnily enough, I was just remembering devilled eggs this weekend while I was out visiting. My mother made a passel of 'em for the family Mother's Day gathering, and my cousins and I had fun pigging out just like in the old days, pretending that we had the same metabolisms we used to.

I'm looking forward to this blog, and especially to the cajeta project, whatever you choose to do.

How do you deal with the "are you bringing produce across the border" issue when you're coming back from the States? Or is that a question I shouldn't ask? :raz: I've only carried enough for a camping trip when I crossed over into Ontario.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It never occurred to me that deviled eggs might be a regional thing!  They're one of my mother's standard party/picnic/potluck foods, and very popular with our clan in central California.  (She's originally from Florida, so maybe that's a factor.)  Funnily enough, I was just remembering devilled eggs this weekend while I was out visiting.  My mother made a passel of 'em for the family Mother's Day gathering, and my cousins and I had fun pigging out just like in the old days, pretending that we had the same metabolisms we used to.

I'm looking forward to this blog, and especially to the cajeta project, whatever you choose to do.

How do you deal with the "are you bringing produce across the border" issue when you're coming back from the States?  Or is that a question I shouldn't ask?  :raz: I've only carried enough for a camping trip when I crossed over into Ontario.

I answer honestly " I bought groceries". They've never asked specifically if I have any produce.

Last week I was sent over to customs for a second inspection. This was the first time in 3 years this happened. The officer had me pop my trunk, he looked inside, saw my grocery bags and cooler, asked to see my receipt( I spent 40 bucks) and said "Have a nice day".

I think the US is more of a stickler when it comes to bringing in produce.

I answer honestly " I bought groceries".  They've never asked specifically if I have any produce.   

Last week I was sent over to customs for a second inspection.  This was the first time in 3 years this happened.  The officer had me pop my trunk, he looked inside, saw my grocery bags and cooler, asked to see my receipt( I spent 40 bucks) and said "Have a nice day". 

I think the US is more of a stickler when it comes to bringing in produce.

I think your border people are nicer than my border people :raz: - I had to pay $75 in 'taxes' last week.

I'm not going to make any comments about using a Martha Stewart recipe for a traditional Jewish food. Since you said it came from a reader, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. :wink:

I now realize that when I was about 10 my mother tricked us into eating all of the fresh fruit on board before we arrived by boat to the municipal port in Toronto. I remember it clearly. The customs agent was invited aboard, and he said - do you have any fruit? - and all of the children cried out NO! WE ATE IT ALL! From what I remember it was the citrus fruit that was the issue, but this could have been one of my mother's tricks as well.

Hmm... cajeta. 

I found a link for a recipe I've been wanting to try for awhile; it's a Mexican Tres Leches (Three Milks) Cake by Bayless!

Yes, Yes, Yes.

The cajeta is mixed with cream and evaporated milk; then poured over the warm cake to soak in. The cake is iced with whipped cream spiked or not with orang liqueur.

Other ideas:

over poached pears

over apple fritters (sliced rings, +/- ice cream)

over warm gingerbread

a dip for raw apples

over roasted or sauteed bananas or pineapples (+/- ice cream)

Thanks for blogging; it's been fun so far! :smile:

You're welcome!! It's been a lot of fun for me too.

Thanks for that link. I saw a few other recipes from that site Id like to try. I've been looking for a good Jewish food website.

I'm still pondering the cajeta.

Hi Cali!

Exeter eh? My Mom grew up in the next town (well village really) Crediton. She went to highschool in Exeter.

I am in London now, do you ever come down to the market here? We have found some pretty good places to eat in town too.

I love seeing my neck of the woods from another perspective.

I now realize that when I was about 10 my mother tricked us into eating all of the fresh fruit on board before we arrived by boat to the municipal port in Toronto.  I remember it clearly.  The customs agent was invited  aboard, and he said - do you have any fruit? - and all of the children cried out NO!  WE ATE IT ALL!  From what I remember it was the citrus fruit that was the issue, but this could have been one of my mother's tricks as well.

Citrus fruit is always the issue for us on the West Coast ... big signs posted at each border crossing. And it's always going into the USA that we're asked if we're bringing in anything. I suppose that's because Canada doesn't have much in the way of citrus farmers.

Now, if you were bringing back devilled eggs ...

A.

Citrus fruit is always the issue for us on the West Coast ... big signs posted at each border crossing.  And it's always going into the USA that we're asked if we're bringing in anything.  I suppose that's because Canada doesn't have much in the way of citrus farmers.

Umm... my question is: what difference does it make if I'm bringing citrus into the US... since it usually comes from there anyway? Is it just in Manitoba that the citrus is mostly from calif. or florida?