• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morels at the Green Market

Picked up some fresh, wild sourced morals today at the Union Square Greenmarket. From the mushroom farm place, althoug these were wild according to the gentleman manning the booth. $48 a pound. From somewhere in upstate NY, I have visions of somewhere along railroad tracks in the Bronx..... Cooked with butter and organic pork loin chops from Fairway, served over kasha and with a salad and cucumbers from Yuno's farm at the same greenmarket. It was a pretty tasty combination. Now if I don't wake up in the morning.....anyone have any idea where they really find the morels...not sure how short the season is...better hurry if you want some.

28 seems pretty low for morels... That's usually around the price for the non-morel, non-porcini varieties.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Yeh.. I am not positive. And in all honesty the girl i guess didnt know what the heck i was getting at the check out counter cause i think she charged me half the 28 dollars.. I obviously should have said something but time constraints alone i didnt want to go through the process of educating the girl.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I recently paid 28 bucks a pound for morels at the Whole Foods in Union Square.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I recently paid 28 bucks a pound for morels at the Whole Foods in Union Square.

weird...i just bought them at union sq whole foods for around $46/lb. this was last thursday, i believe. so expensive but really tasty.

• 1 month later...

In the late seventies and early eighties my father picked Morels in Minneapolis St. Paul. He would go out and pick two grocery bags of mushrooms and we would be eating them every night for dinner. Little did I know then that they were considered a delicacy and would command such a high price.

In the late seventies and early eighties my father picked Morels in Minneapolis St. Paul. He would go out and pick two grocery bags of mushrooms and we would be eating them every night for dinner. Little did I know then that they were considered a delicacy and would command such a high price.

yep used to find them growing in goose poop on the couny house lawn as a kid. :wacko::wub:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Picked up some fresh, wild sourced morals today at the Union Square Greenmarket.  From the mushroom farm place, althoug these were wild according to the gentleman manning the booth.  $48 a pound.  From somewhere in upstate NY, I have visions of somewhere along railroad tracks in the Bronx.....  Cooked with butter and organic pork loin chops from Fairway, served over kasha and with a salad and cucumbers from Yuno's farm at the same greenmarket.  It was a pretty tasty combination.  Now if I don't wake up in the morning.....anyone have any idea where they really find the morels...not sure how short the season is...better hurry if you want some.

I just got some at St. Lawrence market in Toronto. They were 35CAD a lb. So expensive, so good.