• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Beer

helenas

My contribution to this thread (and i cooked with beer on many occasions) would be a seafood stew from

Mai Pham's Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table: broth made from beer, chicken stock with tomato chunks, fish sauce, lemongrass, dill and celery with seafood and more tomatoes and dill added towards the end.

Tonight i made this yet again with Czechvar, red snapper, large shrimps and serious amount of dried bird red peppers - mind-bogglingly good!

Hmmm, mine would be Beer Burgers. Or short ribs braised in beer a la Molly Stevens.

I have a very old cookbook called Cooking with Beer. I'll dig it out and see what other treasures it gives up.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Though this was a restaurant creation and not one from my own kitchen, here's a photo from lunch two weeks ago.

gallery_18820_1174_62148.jpg

Steamed Mussels in Lager

Broth ingredients included beer, shallots, fennel and basil. It's eluding me as to whether or not there were tomatoes in there as well. Delicious.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)
  • Like 1

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thursday night we had Beer-B-Q'ed chicken. We rotisserie-cooked a whole chicken on the grill, using a BBQ sauce of beer, molasses, onion, lemon juice, orange marmalade, ketchup, soy sauce, and Thai oyster sauce. It was tasty.

I have a couple of recipes I created for beer and mussels, Hop Deviled Mussels and another one that is a cross between a soup and a pasta. On my list of things to do is to post some recipes on RecipeGullet, including those.

We had intentions of making Beef And Guiness Stew during the cooler time of year, but it's summer, too late now.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I like using beer in beef stews in braises. It is usually an essential ingredient in my chili, depending on how hot I made it. For some reason, people are always really impressed by my beer battering of things--I just add beer to flour and a little bit of corn starch and whatever seasonings I want in the mix. I guess people think of beer battering as something you can only get at an inexpensive restaurant.

i have a recipe for emeril's chicken and apple smoked sausages that has beer and bourbon in the sauce. flammanade of course. brats in beer.... i do have a recipe for a guinnes cake i haven't gotten around to trying yet. maybe if it stays cool up here i will. :blink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I have a book, from Time-Life, published in 1996 and authored by Lucy Saunders called "Cooking with Beer". (Not sure if it is the same book Marlene mentioned earlier in this thread.) It ranges from snacks and starters to dessert. Hubby is after me to try "Sausage and Lager Meatballs".

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just dug it out. It's called, The Beer Makes it Better Cook Book, by Maria Russell and Maxine Stromberg, copyright 1971. It too ranges from Hors d'Oeuvres to desserts.

It's got recipes for Cinnamon Beer Soup, lots of German recipes, beer baked potatoes and more.

This was also one of my father's favourite cookbooks and he's made notes in the margins on several of the recipes

Marlene

I adapted a recipe from Saveur for a liverwurst/pumpernickel soup by adding a cup or so of flat dark beer to the beef stock. Very tasty.

I've been thinking about that soup you mentioned. :smile: I love liverwurst sandwiches on rye or pumpernickel. Can you direct me to the recipe online, or tell me the approximates of how you made it?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 2 years later...

Every once in a while a guest will bring over a six-pack of beers that we don't quite make our way through at dinner. We're then often stuck with those bottles rattling around the fridge for a few weeks as we're not big beer drinkers and tend to have particular preferences when we do quaff.

This morning I realized that there were probably a lot of good uses to which we could put those brews. What are some good dishes besides beer-battered fish? Any swell braises, for example?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Hard to beat beer as an additionto a gravy.

I often use a bottle ( or two ) as a simmering liquid in my crockpot for corned beef or pulled pork.

There are also plenty of good recipes for breads that use beer.

It really depends on the beer. As somebody with particular preferences, you clearly know that... so why are you asking for recipes with "generic beer" as an ingredient when there really aren't recipes (except maybe beer batter) where the flavor profile of the beer doesn't matter?

If your friends are leaving you Coors Lite it would lend itself to different applications than if they're leaving you Hopzilla Imperial IPA. The former would be a slightly grainy substitute for water in a braise maybe... the latter would need to be carefully considered because its intense bitterness would need to be carefully complemented in any dish you used it in...

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Walnut beer bread.

Great with cheese.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

beer burgers

I have an old cookbook called The Beer Makes it Better cookbook and there's all kinds of interesting things in there including, beer baked chicken, honeyed spareribs, spicy pork chops, beer glazed ham, and beer braised pork.

Marlene

Welsh Rabbit. Yes, the taste of the beer *can* matter, but of course this recipe is something often put together quickly for families or children, so . . . maybe we can excuse a bit of imperfection in using one sort of beer rather than another with finesse.

I used to make beer and honey glazed ribs with sage and chili. Country-style ribs. Simmer beer, honey, fresh sage, chili powder, mustard, a dash of Worcestershire, S & P together to blend. Cool and use as marinade and glaze.

While searching to see if that recipe was on-line, I came across this one: Homer Simpson's Duff Beer Marinade.