• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

:unsure:  Does anyone know the name and location of Richard Kinssies new wine shop in downtown Seattle? I heard he just opened one.

Thanks!

easy googling:

Wine Outlet is at 1701 First Ave. S. Hours: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday.

Very interesting place. Richard has got about $250 off of me in two trips, and if they are indicative he will probably get a lot more.

He carrys some very good buys on close-outs that are at third to half the normal selling price. Many wines you would rarely see. He also sells private collections that he has purchased for resale. He gets lots of calls from collectors.

But mainly Richard seems to be very nice, has many samples, and the time to discuss them.

It's certainly a thumbs up as far as I am concerned.

Dave

• 2 months later...

A friend and I stopped in today but Richard wasn't there. There are some fun bottles in here as well as some incredible buys. Lot's of older vintages so if you are looking for something interesting or special.....

Dave- do you know the best days/times to catch Richard in the shop?

Wendy, I was about 1.5 hours behind you. :-)

I noticed about 6 to 8 1995 California chardonnays, all for $27. I'm not sure what flavor is left in those. I did see a 2000 Chateau Potelle Cabernet Sauvignon for $39. They don't distribute up here and when I was down there in September 2002 I picked up some bottles for $70 each. So this was a good find.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Wendy,

He's been in every time I have been in.

I think he may have some other things going on at the moment. There is a chairt auction or something he mentionws in the offng. Did you rummage through the private collections he selling? Kind of an interesting idea. Much better shopping when he's there; many interesting stories and helpful input.

dave

My friend made note of a few interesting wines:

1987 Jordan Cab Sav $90

1975 Grand Vin Chateau De la Tour Magnum $599

1983 Sterling Magnum $129

1986 Shafer Cab Sav $120

1984 Shafer Cab Sav $99

1982 Freemark Abbey Cab Sav Bosche $50

1990 Clos Du Val Reserve Cab Sav $79

1997 Clos Du Val Reserve Cab Sav $79

1978 Brunello Fattoria dei Barbi (sp?) $94

1971 Chateau La Mission Haut Brion (sp?) $199

1971 Biondi-Santi $199

The cross street is Massachusetts. It's not downtown. It's one block south of Safeco Field.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Speaking of great wines shops. I was recently in SF and hit this place called vino venue. I imagine you all know the place it is the coolest wine shop I have been to. It utilizes the new enomatic wine tasting system which allows the buyer to taste drive almost any of the wines. It is an Italian system that preserves the wine without damaging its integrity. It is all digitalized. I left that place kinda drunk. Check out vino venue on the web.