• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Restaurant by Airport in Honolulu

Susan

I will be flying from Kaui to Honolulu and then out of Honolulu at 10:45 PM on a Sunday. I figured maybe I would take an early afternoon flight out of Kaui and kill time in Honoluly before my flight out that night. Since I won't be spending any other time on Oahu this trip, I thought a good way to kill time would be a nice dinner before we leave. What is one of the better rated restaurants in Oahu tthat I can take a taxi to from the airport and not have to be dressed up for?

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Susan

I guess it depends on what "level" of restaurant you are looking for, and what level of transportation you have available. If you have around 4 hours time - practically the entire city center of Honolulu is available to you for ~$25 each way and 30 minutes or less ride time as long as the traffic isn't too bad (which it shouldn't be on Sunday). In which case an Alan Wong's or Chef Mavros is not out of the question - though a reservation would be pretty essential. None of the local restaurants require jacket and tie, as far as I know, though trousers and button-down shirt would be expected for the aforementioned.

If you are looking for something more ethnic or would prefer a shorter drive, then there are a number of cheap hole-in-the-wall places in the Mapunapuna and Kalihi-Palama areas within a couple miles from the airport.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I would like a restaurant on Alan Wong or Chef Mavros level if the taxi fare were not too much and if we did not have to be dressed up. We will be taking a taxi, so something within a reasonable taxi fare would be great. How far is Alon Wong or Chef Mavros from the airport?

Susan

I will be flying from Kaui to Honolulu and then out of Honolulu at 10:45 PM on a Sunday.  I figured maybe I would take an early afternoon flight out of Kaui and kill time in Honoluly before my flight out that night.  Since I won't be spending any other time on Oahu this trip, I thought a good way to kill time would be a nice dinner before we leave.  What is one of the better rated restaurants in Oahu tthat I can take a taxi to from the airport and not have to be dressed up for?

I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

You might want to try Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab on Nimitz, Palamino in the Harbor Court Condo on Nimitz and Bethel St. (Downtown) or Chai's Island Bistro in the Aloha Tower Market Place. They're not far from the airport, so the cab ride shouldn't be too expensive. You'll get good food, but not in the class of Chef Mavro or Alan Wong's. You could probably go to Sam Choy's in shorts.

There's also Mitch's, a sushi bar in the airport area that was reviewed by Honolulu Magazine and Hawai'i Diner. I hope the link works:

Hawaii Diner.com

Ideta's is my favorite Japanese restaurant right now....and not too far from the airport either! They have awesome sashimi and fish - though they often occur as specials, if they have any fish specials, I usually get that. Also thier Ideta's Teishoku (about 16$) is awesome, and probably thier best value - you get loads of various foods, and it is all good, which is what I get if they dont have any fish specials. They are also not usually crowded at dinnertime, though I hear lunchtime is packed.

the price range averages 16-25$.

Heres is one review I found

http://www.hawaiibusiness.cc/hb72004/defau...fm?articleid=10

Ideta's is right off of Dillingham:

620 Kohou Street

Honolulu, HI 96817

(Honolulu / Chinatown Area)

Tel. (808) 847-4844