• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FRESCA

lancastermike

I tried the Peach version today. I thought it was far better than the Black Cherry but still nothing I'd seek out on a regular basis.

Marketers' never-ending quest to occupy additional shelf space really does deliver some curious results.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

The magic of google reveals Fresca's annoying flash website. Did you know it's been around since 1963? :blink: Well before my time. And yes, it has always been sugar free.

LBJ's favorite soft drink too -- which would make him a Fresca early adopter of sorts. He loved it with his Q. He even had a soda tap installed in the oval office to dispense it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The magic of google reveals Fresca's annoying flash website. Did you know it's been around since 1963? :blink: Well before my time. And yes, it has always been sugar free.

"And now," according to the shmooze on said website, "it's wrapped in a vibrant new look that reflects your own exciting and unique lifestyle!" :rolleyes:

I'm not exactly sure what a soft-drink can design reflecting my unique lifestyle would look like, but I'm pretty sure neither the new or old Fresca can design is it.

Meanwhile, I confess part of me just does not get this soft drink industry marketing strategy of taking a product's original flavor profile and expanding it until the spin-off products bear little resemblance to the original. Fresca was okay; it was grapefruity. But now it's also peach and black cherry? Similar thing with Seven-Up--now there's again cherry, and I dunno what-all else. Why doesn't somebody just make a danged cherry soda brand, instead of these flavor-variants of established brands?!?!? Like I said, I don't get it. (I'm sure the marketers have done tons of studies suggesting that people pick up recognizeable brands more often than totally new ones ... I guess I just don't think that way.)

I've tried both the Peach Citrus and Black Cherry Citrus versions today and I am of the opinion that of the "new" flavors that the Peach is probably the best, with the Black Cherry in second. I'm actually of the opinion that I like the Peach better than the original, Grapefruit-only version.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

"And now," according to the shmooze on said website, "it's wrapped in a vibrant new look that reflects your own exciting and unique lifestyle!" :rolleyes:

I'm not exactly sure what a soft-drink can design reflecting my unique lifestyle would look like, but I'm pretty sure neither the new or old Fresca can design is it.

My lifestyle may be unique--I haven't been able to test this proposition empirically yet--but I would hardly call it exciting.

Do they have a Fresca can that reflects my unique and boring--or maybe my unique and terrifying--lifestyle? I might consider buying one of those.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Finally tried the Peach Citrus tonight. It's pretty good actually, and my mind is already reeling with ideas for cocktails with the peach soda as a mixer. I'll keep working on that and let you all know what I come up with.

I still think the original Fresca remains my favorite (even more so with some tequila in it!) but this is a close second. I haven't seen the black cherry at my local grocery yet.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Got a 12 pack of Black Cherry for Fresca for $2.00 (love the 5/$10 specials) at Wegman's and liked it a lot.

I guess I'm a product of the red dye #2 generation as I was a little surprised at its clear color, but other than that, I'll add it to my rotation of Diet Sprite (I understand. Zero.) and Diet Mt Dew regular).

I fear the peach flavor but if I see it as a single I'd give it a try.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06