• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who else has Paella?

I am looking forward to Jose Andres' big Paella festival at the Crystal City location. But I wonder who else is out there. I've had Jaleo's, Taberna, Jalapeno's, and Sol d'Espana. Anybody else out there doing good paella?

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Damn, and I was all excited to send you to Taberna...who I think may be the only place in town with an actual paella menu (as opposed to just one or two types).

The Salvadorean restaurants near Langley Park (Samantha's, El Golfo) have respectable paellas. But they're not likely to approach the league you're talking about.

Damn, and I was all excited to send you to Taberna...who I think may be the only place in town with an actual paella menu (as opposed to just one or two types).

Yes, I know their's is excellent. I haven't been there in ages, and am going next week for lunch, a long lunch with wine! :wink:

When is the Paella Festival at Jaleo?

Jaleo's Paella Festival will run June 1 - 7, and feature guest chef Quím Marques of El Suquet L’Allmiral, Barcelona. During the festival, there'll be special paellas based on Marques’ recipes offered at all Jaleo restaurants.

The big party will be on Friday, June 3rd where Jose will do as they do in the little villages in Spain, by making a

G I A N T P A E L L A for 1000 at Jaleo's Crystal City location. The fun starts at 3:30!

I didn't try it, but I was sitting next to a couple at Madrid Churreria in Adams Morgan, and their paella looked pretty good.

I've had their paella once, and don't expect to again- it was mediocre and dry.

I had much better luck soon afterwards with the paella at Santa Rosa- but a subsequent trip's paella contained fish and shellfish that was past its prime.

Sigh...