• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Hot in the City?

Good people of eGullet, I need your help. Our bank manager has offered to take us out to lunch, and I am at a loss as to how best spend (though not waste) his money.

We are based near Holborn Circus (London). I need somewhere no more than 10 minutes away (walk or cab) that's suitably slick on the service but not at the expense of the food.

Options I have considered but rejected are:

Smiths Top Floor - my favoured option round here but have been twice recently.

Cafe du marche - not quite slick enough; also been recently.

Pearl - have been put off by the unfavourable reviews.

1 Lombard St - ditto - unless anyone's been recently and liked it?

Flaneur - not businessy enough

Vivat Bacchus - went last time

So - any ideas? Bonds/Axis/Prism?

Thanks - Winot

A friend recently had a very good meal at The Chancery (and got half price on the food through toptable.co.uk). The White Swan has always been a safe bet, although the same friend had a disappointing meal there a week or so ago. The Paternoster Chophouse could be worth a punt, especially with other people's money.

Thanks for the thoughts.

matsuri in holborn ?

Nice and close -- any more details? I read it had a number of "spaces". What should we go for?

St John?

Club Gascon?

I think Sinjen might be a bit much for the company, and I've been recently.

Club Gascon is a possibility, though I'd heard reports it had gone downhill. Any recent visits anyone?

Astonishing - someone who admits to having been to Vivat Bacchus!

Report here.

A friend recently had a very good meal at The Chancery (and got half price on the food through toptable.co.uk). The White Swan has always been a safe bet, although the same friend had a disappointing meal there a week or so ago. The Paternoster Chophouse could be worth a punt, especially with other people's money.

Did the Chancery with my business partners. Report here.

Been once to the White Swan restaurant; wasn't impressed with the service. Two hours to serve a chicken kiev. Lovely room though.

Heard terrible things about Patenosters but prepared to be persuaded.

How about the Bleeding Heart or Clerkenwell Dining Room?

Hated the BH last time I went. Report here.

Can you tell me more about Clerkenwell Dining Rooms?

Thanks for the thoughts.
matsuri in holborn ?

Nice and close -- any more details? I read it had a number of "spaces". What should we go for?

http://www.matsuri-restaurant.com/high_holborn/index_e.html

personally I would go for the teppanyaki room it is a little cold and vacuous

but its very business like and the gaps between business talk and idle chatter with the bank manager will be dispersed by the teppanyaki chef cooking.

Set menu range from £35- £70.

Last time I went for teppanyaki had a £60 set with about 9 courses

it was very nice :laugh:

Definitily sorted out my sushi and tempura craving.

But if you are just going for a normal hour lunch I think you be better of in the main dining room.

They also have the sushi counter if you are a sushi fiends like me.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Club Gascon is a possibility, though I'd heard reports it had gone downhill. Any recent visits anyone?

It's a few months since I have been, but my last visit was dissappointing - I was hoping it was a one off. One of my friends is desparate to go back so I'm sure I'll try them again soon.

The Zetter is another possibility you might want to think about?

I'd have to agree, I'd do Pearl, especially if it is not on your expenses! It makes for a great business lunch.

If you decide to go to Matsuri, unless you are a fan of Teppanyaki, I'd suggest sitting in the Dining Room. It might just be me, but I am not a fan of Teppanyaki in restaurants, I just don't get it, I consider that kind of thing home cooking.

They do good tempura, excellent katsuage, and very decent sushi. You can make a good meal coursing out different types of food. Don't get the pickles though... very average.

Thanks for all your help. Was tempted by Pearl/Moro but have gone for Matsuri (not teppenyaki). They do a private room for £30 which seems a good deal, particularly as the bank manager speaks softly (and yes, he does carry a big stick).

Will let you know how we get on.

PS SamF - I thought Sweetings didn't accept bookings? Not really suitable for business lunch if so.