• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any tried Leaping Salmon lately at Thresher?

Has anyone tried Leaping Salmon lately? I think they are still sold at Thresher stores. I am curious if they are still around and if the quality has gone down since they were acquired by Thresher.

Has anyone tried Leaping Salmon lately?  I think they are still sold at Thresher stores.  I am curious if they are still around and if the quality has gone down since they were acquired by Thresher.

I live near a Thresher. It has gone through a series of odd, Leaping-Salmon-related transformations but has now come full circle, suggesting LS didn't pan out as they hoped.

Step 1: the lavish shop-fit. The small off-licence was kitted out with new fridges to display the LS goodies. The wine selection seemed to be stripped back even beyond the usual appalling selection to focus on 'branded' wines - Louis Jadot, Turning Leaf, etc.

Step 2: Leaping Salmon stuff started to change. Fewer 'cook it yourself' kits and more of what looked like standard ready meals, more crisps and more (Green & Black) chocolate.

Step 3: Return to normal. LS stuff now totally gone. Fridges now full of wine. Only crisps available, with G&B chocolate relegated to the sweets shelf.

I really dislike my local Threshers - a crappy choice of wine (much worse than the local Sainsbury's or Tesco's), surly service and a cramped atmosphere. I go there occasionally because it's close and always wish I'd gone slightly further down the road to Oddbins. Judging by my local store, the attempt to move upmarket into posh cooking kits has failed. Perhaps they should concentrate on selling some decent booze instead. :angry:

The wine selection seemed to be stripped back even beyond the usual appalling selection to focus on 'branded' wines - Louis Jadot, Turning Leaf, etc.

Agree with you in general about Thresher but Louis Jadot stuff can actually be pretty decent.

Thanks for the feedback. I recently started a similiar company in the San Francisco area and was curious about how they were doing. It sounded like the food got great reviews but never heard a lot of great feedback on Thresher.

Threshers stopped selling food from Leaping Salmon (which it bought a little bit less than two years ago, if memory serves) a couple of months ago. I understand they were going to try to sell the LS business. The business model just didn't work for them.

Has anyone tried Leaping Salmon lately?  I think they are still sold at Thresher stores.  I am curious if they are still around and if the quality has gone down since they were acquired by Thresher.

Edited by magnolia (log)